Hello,

I'm currently subscribed to a online coffee subscription which I get pre ground espresso coffee delivered. I'm now looking at getting a espresso grinder to use alongside my delonghi espresso machine (pressurised baskets). Im happy purchase second hand or look at hand grinders as I normally only make a couple of cups a day. Any options or recommendations would be great my budget would be upto £100. 

This would be the first up purchase then in the next few months I'm hoping to get a second hand Gaggia Classic. 

Thanks in advance.

Mark

£100 is very tight for an espresso grinder. Unless you find a used bargain.

For the Delonghi, any cheap burr grinder is enough, but for the Gaggia, you need something much better. The only new buy grinder anywhere near that price is the Iberital MC2, which is around the £130-150 range when in stock.

• Thanks 1

Gear:

Gaggia Baby 2001, Gaggia Color 2007, Delonghi Dedica, Severin grinder, Marcfi badged Compak K6 2004

Sent from my grinder using smoke signals.

Great thanks for your help. I think I will save up abit and go for something around the £200 price point as after doing some research I dont want to be upgrading again to quickly. I like the look of the Eureka Mignons, are there any others worth looking out for? 

Great thanks for your help. I think I will save up abit and go for something around the £200 price point as after doing some research I dont want to be upgrading again to quickly. I like the look of the Eureka Mignons, are there any others worth looking out for? 

As an entry level grinder, the Mignon is great. It will last forever and will give you many years of happiness. And then you can sell it on if you ever want to upgrade to something else in the future.

Avoid the mc2. The price might be attractive, but its shortcomings will quickly show and will set you on the upgrade path quicker than expected (and you‘ll lose money in the process).

Second hand is also a great option if you are on a tight budget.
  • Thanks 1

Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Check the for sale thread in this forum.

You can get a second hand mazzer grinders, but they are quite big compared to the Mignon.

Or a second hand Mignon. Or manual grinders like the Feldgrind if that’s your thing. Both of those will last you a lifetime and have good resale value.

Had a debate about entry level grinders here last night. Always buy the best you can afford, avoid unplanned upgrades.

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/50938-sage-bambino-plus-only-drops-of-coffee-coming-through/?tab=comments#comment-730693

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Just read it and some very valid points unfortunatley if you want quality you have to pay for it if not understand the limitations of the equipment. I will keep and eye out and wait for a Eureka Mignon to come up thanks for your help. 

• Like 1
Just read it and some very valid points unfortunatley if you want quality you have to pay for it if not understand the limitations of the equipment. I will keep and eye out and wait for a Eureka Mignon to come up thanks for your help. 

Just to make it clear: there are better grinders than the Mignon. As I said, it’s a great entry level grinder, will keep you happy for years, it’s a doddle to adjust, dial in and clean, and will last forever.

On thing I learnt: it’s always best to use your grinder as intended. Modifying it for single dose often does not work and you’ll always be chasing the impossible.

Some people do have success modifying Mazzer Royal and Super Jolly (s) to be single dose. Using them as intended in an usual home environment is not sustainable. They are built like a tank, will last forever and can be bought second hand at very reasonable prices.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Just to make it clear: there are better grinders than the Mignon. As I said, it’s a great entry level grinder, will keep you happy for years, it’s a doddle to adjust, dial in and clean, and will last forever.

On thing I learnt: it’s always best to use your grinder as intended. Modifying it for single dose often does not work and you’ll always be chasing the impossible.

Some people do have success modifying Mazzer Royal and Super Jolly (s) to be single dose. Using them as intended in an usual home environment is not sustainable. They are built like a tank, will last forever and can be bought second hand at very reasonable prices.

'Modifying it for single dose' - Can I ask what that means when talking about a Mignon Manuale or Silenzio grinder? I get there's a hopper to fill up, but that's a choice right? Measuring 18g and putting that in each time...that's single dosing isn't it? Are you saying Eurekas don't like that?

Sage Barista Express.

You should be able to buy a secondhand feldgrind2 or similar hand grinder. That is what i did. Make about 4 coffees a day, mainly filter but also espresso on my sage duo temp.

Hand grinder is smaller than a machine obviously so no loss of countertop and you can put everything away to keep tidy. No electricity usage or cost. 

• Thanks 1
'Modifying it for single dose' - Can I ask what that means when talking about a Mignon Manuale or Silenzio grinder? I get there's a hopper to fill up, but that's a choice right? Measuring 18g and putting that in each time...that's single dosing isn't it? Are you saying Eurekas don't like that?

I’m saying that you can do it, but it won’t behave as you’d wished it did. Why? Hopper fed grinders have a chute, and grinds get compacted in the chute, to avoid static and to ensure an accurate-ish dose based on the timer.

Can’t remember from memory, but I think the Mignon retains between 2g and 4g in the chute. This means that, on a dose of 18g ending up in your basket, without any purging, 4g (or 2g or whatever it is) will be from the previous grind.

In comparison the Niche, designed as single dose from the ground up, retains 0.2g or something like that.

Hence why I say it’s best to use the grinder as designed by the manufacturer.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

I’m saying that you can do it, but it won’t behave as you’d wished it did. Why? Hopper fed grinders have a chute, and grinds get compacted in the chute, to avoid static and to ensure an accurate-ish dose based on the timer.

Can’t remember from memory, but I think the Mignon retains between 2g and 4g in the chute. This means that, on a dose of 18g ending up in your basket, without any purging, 4g (or 2g or whatever it is) will be from the previous grind.

In comparison the Niche, designed as single dose from the ground up, retains 0.2g or something like that.

Hence why I say it’s best to use the grinder as designed by the manufacturer.

Aah I see. So that's OK if you're making several coffees quickly with a load of beans in hopper, but one/two a day singularly, and you're getting old grinds. If you just put 18g in, you're not getting 18g fresh out.

So that's why you pick the tool for job. Got it, thank you.

Sage Barista Express.

Aah I see. So that's OK if you're making several coffees quickly with a load of beans in hopper, but one/two a day singularly, and you're getting old grinds. If you just put 18g in, you're not getting 18g fresh out.
So that's why you pick the tool for job. Got it, thank you.

Yes. Also, with a single dose grinder, it’s easier to adjust for different beans. For instance, you can have a few beans in the go, and, as long as you remember the grind setting for that bean, it’s easier to adjust it, also easier for change settings between brew methods - and no need to purge.

I do like the convenience of on demand grinders, but the low retention is one of the reasons I like the Niche.

The Baratza Sette is another option for hopper fed grinder with amazingly low retention. However, it’s downfall is it’s reliability track record.

1 minute ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Yes. Also, with a single dose grinder, it’s easier to adjust for different beans. For instance, you can have a few beans in the go, and, as long as you remember the grind setting for that bean, it’s easier to adjust it, also easier for change settings between brew methods - and no need to purge.

I do like the convenience of on demand grinders, but the low retention is one of the reasons I like the Niche.

The Baratza Sette is another option for hopper fed grinder with amazingly low retention. However, it’s downfall is it’s reliability track record.

I saw the Sette grinder on Whole Latte Love, they really liked it,  but have also seen others on this forum say the same thing. It seems like I have 2 options, second hand to not 'risk' too much money, or just wait and get a Niche when ready. Is there any other single doser people on here like apart from the Niche (at a low price point?) My reasoning behind a Niche (apart from that it seems to suit how I make coffee) would that it would do me for the next machine next year too (probably Christmas 2021). It's good enough to be paired with a Minima or something like that. (That's even if I did upgrade, I may find a Niche and Sage BE are just fine).

Sage Barista Express.

Unless you go hand grinder route, like a Feldgrind, you’ll not find anything cheaper then the Niche for single dosing. Or you get a second hand Mazzer Royal or Super Jolly and adapt it for single dosing. But they are huge!

2 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Unless you go hand grinder route, like a Feldgrind, you’ll not find anything cheaper then the Niche for single dosing. Or you get a second hand Mazzer Royal or Super Jolly and adapt it for single dosing. But they are huge!

Yes those are like tanks, not sure I would get those unless the deal was crazy! Thanks for all your advice, I'm much clearer on the grinder market I was looking at now.

• Like 1

Sage Barista Express.

For what its worth, with your budget and longer term aspirations I think a hand grinder - C40 with RedClix mod, Feld 47 or 1Zpresso - would be your best starting point, with the Feld being possibly a bit easier to set the same each time due to the marked graduations as opposed to the C40 where you have to count the clicks.

They’re more than capable of accurate and repeatable espresso grinds with different beans and roasts but will still be a useful tool to keep for pour over or Aeropress brews at home or away, even with a powered grinder on the worktop.

• Thanks 1

With that in mind are there any other hand grinders worth considering as realistically I am only making a few cups of coffee a day so the hand grinder route may work well for me.  Also apart from the manual aspect are there many other draw backs of a hand grinder such as quality of the grind?

Thanks for all the advice upto now as the comment above grinders make much more sense now especially regarding grind retention. 

6 minutes ago, Skizz said:

For what its worth, with your budget and longer term aspirations I think a hand grinder - C40 with RedClix mod, Feld 47 or 1Zpresso - would be your best starting point, with the Feld being possibly a bit easier to set the same each time due to the marked graduations as opposed to the C40 where you have to count the clicks.

They’re more than capable of accurate and repeatable espresso grinds with different beans and roasts but will still be a useful tool to keep for pour over or Aeropress brews at home or away, even with a powered grinder on the worktop.

Sorry I posted a reply at the same time. I will look into the grinders listed thanks. 

Just wanted to add thanks for this info as I’m going through a similar thought process at the moment. Looks like a hand grinder is the way to go on a budget for single dosing. Thanks!

Sorry to hijack - in terms of the best value hand grinders for espresso is the Feld the better option given its stepless? The Kinu is out of my price range and the Comandante appears to need the red clix mod which adds another ~£40?

Got a Feld 2 never looked back. When  was in Miami cough, was going to get a Kinu, I have two Rhino hand grinders one for Salt one for Pepper?

Edited by Jony
  • Like 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)