Had some RB in a flat white from Blackwoods in Edinburgh on Friday. I was pretty unimpressed! It was really bland and didn't cut through the milk as it normally does. Not sure if this is just what the new version is like, or whether it wasn't being pulled at its best. The shop use a Synesso and Anfim combo. Going to buy a bag tomorrow and see if I can coax more out of it :-)

Michael

Fun in a Cup Coffee Training

I was in Berlin a few weeks ago and had a fantastic Red Brick flat white in the Barn - was pleased they lived up to the hype!

Yeah I had a cracking coffee at the barn! Loved their hydra. Did you go to Five Elephant Coffee by any chance?

Michael

No, only went to the two Barn locations and Bonanza. I mentioned Five Elephants to my relations; they went a few days after I left, but didn't think it was as good as the Barn. I'll be going back, so plenty more opportunities for tastings!

Ace. In terms of atmosphere and vibe, I rated Five Elephant highest, even next to bonanza (zero atmosphere, unhelpful staff) and no fire no glory. Bonanza need more seats / less roasters!

Michael

Agree - Bonanza had pretty poor service! My relations didn't like the new Barn location either. I suppose it's good to have some cafes put more emphasis on coffee, but I hope it doesn't become the blueprint - getting coffee shouldn't be a religious experience ;-)

I was in Berlin a few weeks ago and had a fantastic Red Brick flat white in the Barn - was pleased they lived up to the hype!

Have you ever tried the Double Eye cafe on Akazienstraße? It's simply fantastic coffee. They do a Galao which is like a flat white in a glass originating from Portugal. Very, very good indeed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Gaggia Selecta Coffee Delux (Rancilio Silvia steam wand mod, OPV and steam valve mod) : Iberital MC2 : Happy Donkey Tamper : Gaggia Bottomless Portafilter :

Favourite coffee/roast is currently BSCA#1 Brazilian Speciality Coffee Association number 1 blend from Two Day Coffee Roasters Bristol :

Have you ever tried the Double Eye cafe on Akazienstraße? It's simply fantastic coffee. They do a Galao which is like a flat white in a glass originating from Portugal. Very, very good indeed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Haven't tried it yet - my recent trip was my first to the city. Double Eye was on the list, but I felt bad about forcing my coffee obsessions on the relations! I'll definitely pay a visit the next time I'm over.

Agree - Squaremile is fantastic but Hasbean also produces some amazing "keep going back to" beans. They are just harder to find as he has a huge choice.

Placed an order with Squaremile for a back of Redbrick and one of their single estates, looking forward to seeing how they compare with Hasbean.

Expobar DB PID, OE Pharos, OE Lido & Torr 58.4 plan2convex

Initial thoughts: Redbrick delicious, Jirmiwachu undrinkable. I'll definitely be buying redbrick again but, to use someone from earlier's description of it, the 'funk' of Jirmiwachu is just too much for me. If anyone wants it I'll happily pass on for the cost of postage. I've had two doubles out of it.

Expobar DB PID, OE Pharos, OE Lido & Torr 58.4 plan2convex

I'd happily take it off of your hands if you're absolutely positive you can't find anything to do with it (and of course noone has beaten me to it) It's Incredibly kind of you though mate.

Fracino Piccino - Eureka Mignon - 17g LM basket - 58.35mm Madebyknock tamper - Aeropress - Bodum FP

Jirmiwachu is probably my favourite bean EVER.

But, the funk is like marmite I'm afraid.

Home - Quickmill Veloce Prototype with IMS Shower | EK43 | Torr Blackwood Trapez Goldfinger | IMS 22g Basket

Work - Quickmill Andreja Premium | Nuova Simonelli Oscar | Gaggia Classic DIY PID mod with Rancilio Silvia Steam Wand

Work - Mazzer Super Jolly (Doser) | Anfim Super Best | VST 18g Basket | Torr Black Metal Goldfinger handle with Standard Flat base

Brewed - OE Lido | Porlex Mini | Aeropress | V60-01 | Chemex 10 cup

No worries mate, worth a shot! :) Union deal is calling my name now I think...

Fracino Piccino - Eureka Mignon - 17g LM basket - 58.35mm Madebyknock tamper - Aeropress - Bodum FP