johnb80

In Search of Beans Similar to COSTA

I'm a newbie here so please be gentle with me. Im about to retire and have bought myself a Sage Barista Express following reading a few reviews.

I like the taste of COSTA Latte's and thats my aim, can anyone recommend suitable beans to get close to this flavour?

Many thanks in anticipation, any advice greatly appreciated.

J

Posted (edited)

Costa possibly! I am sure they sell them, if they are still open. You will find a big difference between recently roasted beans (as in days) and the stuff Costa sell which may have been roasted months earlier. If you roast a bean, allow it to settle for a few days to degass then open the bag and store it correctly in a vacuum cylinder or similar, it will taste fresh for several weeks, but, if it is already 3 months old when you open it.....it may take you 2 weeks to use 250 gms, it takes then 5 minutes

Edited by dfk41

Evening and welcome, Costa Latte's are like hot milk no coffee required so your golden. I would try getting some beans from a Supermarket like Union and a few others knocking around.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Take coffee scoop,

Go to back garden,

Scoop approximately 18 grams of dirt, 

Put dirt in portafilter,

Make sure espresso runs through in less than 15 seconds,

Add so much milk you can only get the faintest taste of dirt in the back of your mouth, 

And there you have it, Costa latte! 

Seriously though, are costa still using robusta blend? If so any Italian roast is probably going to be similar.  

• Haha 2

I do use Costa if I am left with no choice that is Rare these days.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

I'm a newbie here so please be gentle with me. Im about to retire and have bought myself a Sage Barista Express following reading a few reviews.
I like the taste of COSTA Latte's and thats my aim, can anyone recommend suitable beans to get close to this flavour?

Many thanks in anticipation, any advice greatly appreciated.

J

Hi john. And welcome!

This might not the response you were looking for as I’ve got no idea about Costa’s beans but.... maybe try some of the blends at Rave Coffee Roastery (signature blend) and Coffee Compass (jam pit).

They’ve got some great stuff and the blends in brackets above are easy to work with. They might blow your Costa out of the water too.

all the best with your coffee journey

Maybe controversial here but I don't mind Lavazza's ground coffee. By the time you've added loads of milk I'm not sure you can that much pick apart different Italian style dark roasts. 🙊

• Like 1

Union beans are pretty decent for a beginner and, as someone else said, they're available in supermarkets (Sainsbury's and Waitrose for certain). Make sure you check the roast date on the back of the packet, you can sometimes find packets which have only been roasted 3 - 4 weeks before. Others can be a few months old.

Also, I recently had a flat white in a cafe which used Rave's Colombia Suarez Project beans and they would certainly suit a latte.

Hi and welcome @johnb80

I think what people are trying to say is that you can do a whole lot better than Costa. I recommend you try out a few blends from reputable roasters over the next few weeks/months and you'll soon realise that Costa is terrible in comparison :)

LR, ZM

Hi John, 

I’m not ashamed to admit that if am on the road and in need of a break I will stop for a cortado from Costa in the motorway services, it may not be gourmet coffee but it beats anything else on offer from the likes of Greggs etc.

As others have said you won’t be able to recreate your favourite drink at home with the pre-packed beans they sell but you could always try and bribe your local store into letting you have some fresh ones? Otherwise a quick search shows plenty of people selling them on e-bay...

I also second the recommendation for Rave’s Signature Blend or maybe their Italian Job blend both of which will knock spots off Costa, although there are plenty of other espresso blends out there to try.

Good luck and don’t be out off by the negative comments.

A

Aged Gaggia Classic, 1991 La San Marco 90A Grinder, Another Coffee Espresso Blend No 1, Rave Coffee Italian Job, amongst others. Considering a HX or DB machine...

Seek out blends of mainly Brazilian with some Ethiopian (arabicas) along with Vietnamese robusta at the cheaper end of the market, and you will not be to far away from the Costa blend.

Best advice, as above, explore and enjoy.

12 hours ago, dfk41 said:

Costa possibly! I am sure they sell them, if they are still open. You will find a big difference between recently roasted beans (as in days) and the stuff Costa sell which may have been roasted months earlier. If you roast a bean, allow it to settle for a few days to degass then open the bag and store it correctly in a vacuum cylinder or similar, it will taste fresh for several weeks, but, if it is already 3 months old when you open it.....it may take you 2 weeks to use 250 gms, it takes then 5 minutes

I understood Costa no longer sell their beans.

Regards - J

12 hours ago, Jony said:

Evening and welcome, Costa Latte's are like hot milk no coffee required so your golden. I would try getting some beans from a Supermarket like Union and a few others knocking around.

LOL, I know Im maybe a lightweight in the coffee world, I do enjoy Costa though, usually when I'm on a journey, it's good to keep me awake.

J

12 hours ago, TomHughes said:

Take coffee scoop,

Go to back garden,

Scoop approximately 18 grams of dirt, 

Put dirt in portafilter,

Make sure espresso runs through in less than 15 seconds,

Add so much milk you can only get the faintest taste of dirt in the back of your mouth, 

And there you have it, Costa latte! 

Seriously though, are costa still using robusta blend? If so any Italian roast is probably going to be similar.  

Hehe, I had a similar advice given when we asked about the best way to cook river fish when on holiday.

J

12 hours ago, Gavin said:

Hi john. And welcome!

This might not the response you were looking for as I’ve got no idea about Costa’s beans but.... maybe try some of the blends at Rave Coffee Roastery (signature blend) and Coffee Compass (jam pit).

They’ve got some great stuff and the blends in brackets above are easy to work with. They might blow your Costa out of the water too.

all the best with your coffee journey emoji106.png

I'll give it a try thank you. So much to learn about the beans, the machine and the technique.

J

11 hours ago, Fez said:

Hi and welcome @johnb80

I think what people are trying to say is that you can do a whole lot better than Costa. I recommend you try out a few blends from reputable roasters over the next few weeks/months and you'll soon realise that Costa is terrible in comparison :)

Understood and it's this sort of advice I was seeking, I thank you all. Costa was my example, thats what I like but I'm sure there will be others. I'm going explore all the ones suggested and see where my journey takes me.

J

Thank you everyone, I've placed an order for 3 different beans from Rave. Looking forward to learning to use my machine and the coffee.

Thank you all

J

• Like 2

On 26/03/2020 at 10:42, johnb80 said:

Thank you everyone, I've placed an order for 3 different beans from Rave. Looking forward to learning to use my machine and the coffee.

Thank you all

J

How are you getting on? Rave are good beans and they make great coffee......

that machine looks like quite a set up