Chris T

Issues Gaggia Machine in Blue? Looks a classic but "isn't"

Hi all, 

I was bought this machine quite some years ago now by my parents (nearly 10 years i think).  I always assumed due to the similarity in design it was  Gaggia Classic in blue, but it isn't! I was told it was a Classic for the Italian market, but not sure how true that is.  The insides are different (I can't find the expansion valve mentioned for adjusting pressure for example) and whereas my parent's Gaggia classic has the down tube at back of drip tray there isn't one on mine and neither is there a connection for it. I can't find any info on the machine, hopefully i didn't miss anything on the forum.

I'm having varying degrees of success (Blowing money on a grinder made a huuuge difference but recently got frustrated)  and the coffee has always come through too quick  so thought I'd begin to do the suggested improvements - starting with adjusting pressure.  I think i'm stuck before I even start as the components aren't the same.  I'm sort of half guessing that it was a cheaper version made to look the same with cheaper internals but i'm not sure really.

Can anyone shed any light on what the machine is and whether I should attempt to move forward with this or just look to get a new machine?  I had it serviced once which needed a new boiler, it semed OK for a while after but now it chunters and parps and drips water sometimes when it's on so it's not too happy. 

Couple of pictures so you can see the machine itself, and also you can see that there is no expansion valve as described in lots of videos, and also there appears to be some leaking out of the gasket

20200324_175017.jpg

Coffee_station.jpg

Pretty sure thats an old Gaggia Cubica, well in excess of 10 years old I would think. I recognised it immediately from my old Gaggia days more than 30 years ago when I was looking for a machine. It doesn't look quite like the UK ones which were predominantly white and silver, if I remember rightly. Perhaps consider a new machine and out that on the bay for perhaps up to an amazing £90!!

• Like 2

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Yeah I was thinking of an upgrade for quite a while, more sentimental value than anything now :)  It was bought 2nd hand for my 30th so that's quite a while back now!  It'd clearly not been used for ages either. 

I should have said it has ' GC 2000' on the bottom 

14 minutes ago, Chris T said:

Yeah I was thinking of an upgrade for quite a while, more sentimental value than anything now :)  It was bought 2nd hand for my 30th so that's quite a while back now!  It'd clearly not been used for ages either. 

I should have said it has ' GC 2000' on the bottom 

Gaggia Cubica year 2000 I would guess ;)

• Thanks 1

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Thanks Dave! i think it will end up being given to someone with nothing or put away in a loft somewhere 😕

Actually, it DOES have the OPV, what it doesn't have is the 3 way solenoid. In all other aspects it's exactly the same as the Baby or Classic. In fact... given its fine condition, I'd be interested in it. 

Gear:

Gaggia Baby 2001, Gaggia Color 2007, Delonghi Dedica, Severin grinder, Marcfi badged Compak K6 2004

Sent from my grinder using smoke signals.

5 hours ago, allikat said:

Actually, it DOES have the OPV, what it doesn't have is the 3 way solenoid. In all other aspects it's exactly the same as the Baby or Classic. In fact... given its fine condition, I'd be interested in it. 

Thanks allikat I thought i'd replied but mustn't have clicked 'post' or timed out or something.  If I do think of letting it go I will let you know.

I thought the brass coloured bit on mine looked too small compared to the vids and pics i have seen online. I'll investigate further. I stuck a pic up there does that look right to you?

I was messing around earlier and I think i have located source of spraying with bottomless portafilter - theres a bit of a jet coming out I hadn't noticed when I run the machine without the portafilter on.  The longer it runs the worse the spraying gets so i guess it's sorta channelling.   I think perhaps a new shower screen, gasket and a brass disperser thingy might be in order and try again.

I think this is going to get expensive and time consuming :D 

Posted (edited)

Further looking it seems the tube that goes back into the reservoir on mine doesn't come out of the over pressure valve right by boiler as on most of the vids, there's a T junction metal bit above the pump which does that.  Interesting.  Wonders of being stuck inside and ever fussier about coffee

https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/en/Gaggia-Classic-Brass-Shower-Block-Conversion-Kit/m-5018.aspx  think i'll get on with that before i start worrying about whether my pressure is right. 

Edited by Chris T

Posted (edited)

Pull off the dispersion plate and shower screen, give them both a good clean, and hold the screen up to a light. You'll probably find a few blocked holes there. A pin will clean those out. Sounds like it's a version of this: https://www.mrbean2cup.co.uk/gaggia-cubika-spare-parts and the odd metal T split thing is the OPV.

It is an odd version of the Cubika which bears a lot more similarities to the Classic than the same age Baby. It seems to have the Classic/Baby boiler (but with only OPV holes drilled), not the Colour/Cubika boiler it should have. 

Edited by allikat
  • Like 1

Gear:

Gaggia Baby 2001, Gaggia Color 2007, Delonghi Dedica, Severin grinder, Marcfi badged Compak K6 2004

Thanks again, I cannot get the dispersion to shift so I think it's the 'long m5' trick I read about at some point!  I had it serviced a few years back and they said it needed a new boiler so they may have stuck a classic one in rather than the right one. I wish I had seen the old one now.  yeah I agree about the OPV T thing, it was the only option as that was the only bit that had a pipe where any overpressure could run off.  I suspect I'll be leaving all that alone and just trying to improve technique and fixing any obvious/easy bits for now.

Sometimes when I turn it on it sits there quiet and gets hot, others it chunters and drips water and makes funny noises. It's a slightly tempremental old thing.  I would be interested to understand that bit :D 

Posted (edited)

On the bottom should be a sticker with the model name and year of manufacture.. don't think it's a Cubika. The case looks like a Classic size but bit different if that makes sense? The internals look as thou they are same as Gaggia Coffee which is the cheaper version without valve which several versions are the same, evolution, Coffee etc.. The on/off buttons look unusual, that may be where the Italian market bit relates? Not seen those buttons on anything from UK 

Edited by russe11

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, russe11 said:

On the bottom should be a sticker with the model name and year of manufacture.. don't think it's a Cubika. The case looks like a Classic size but bit different if that makes sense? The internals look as thou they are same as Gaggia Coffee which is the cheaper version without valve which several versions are the same, evolution, Coffee etc.. The on/off buttons look unusual, that may be where the Italian market bit relates? Not seen those buttons on anything from UK 

Model is "GC 2000"  Which is annoying as it could be Gaggia Coffee, Classic, Cubika ? :D     I've only found very few pics of the same layout online and they're all chrome - I've never seen another blue one anywhere. Maybe I need to sell to the (imaginary) Gaggia Museum? :)

20200327_121228.jpg

Edited by Chris T
added photo

Looks like a weird creation by that jo wolfe chap...

1995 'Coffee Gaggia' with full Gaggia Classic conversion, DIY PID Controller, OPV set to 9bar, Silvia steam wand, Botomless PF, VST 15g Basket, Motta 58mm Tamper and Ascaso I-Mini grinder

Just a note to say thanks all for replying so usefully to a newbie, really nice to find a load of people who are just interested and helpful

Posted (edited)

A quick google search for 'gaggia gc 2000' links back to this very forum. Looks like the GC 2000 was an actual thing. Same buttons as the Baby Millenium model as well.

01.jpg

Edited by MartinB

1995 'Coffee Gaggia' with full Gaggia Classic conversion, DIY PID Controller, OPV set to 9bar, Silvia steam wand, Botomless PF, VST 15g Basket, Motta 58mm Tamper and Ascaso I-Mini grinder

I've done all manner of searches and found a few like that yep, some in hungarian too :D  no blue ones though. I have a vague memory that when I first got it I found an identical one online but that appears to be gone 

Yeah, those are the exact same buttons on my 2001 Gaggia Baby. I admit, that if I got hold of this, or a similar machine, I'd be taking my 2001 Baby out of its battered casing, and fitting it right in there to make a faux Classic. As that Classic style case looks great and the options for the drip tray are much better than the dodgy thing that gets my fingers wet on the Baby.

Gear: