DavecUK

Just thinkingabout coffee roasting and the Virus

I've never been so glad I roast my own coffee and like it!

It's had not occurred to me that roasters may be closing until I read a recent post.

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Big business opportunity!

Glad I've got 9 bags in the cupboard at the moment and 4 more due next week from Dog and Hat. My excessive greed is finally paying off.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

I've never been so glad I roast my own coffee and like it!

It's had not occurred to me that roasters may be closing until I read a recent post.

Disappointing to hear that, could you reference said post? Hoping a lot of the smaller operations will be able to continue, but it really is impossible to say the way events move so rapidly each day.

6 minutes ago, colb16 said:

Disappointing to hear that, could you reference said post? Hoping a lot of the smaller operations will be able to continue, but it really is impossible to say the way events move so rapidly each day.

Can't remember it was made this morning, do a search

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

I was in Putney town centre today luckily found some freshly roasted beans in Artisan from Curious Roo. Tried&true had literally one bag left, Gail's sells union they didn't have any decaf left, possible delivery Friday they said. Went to Ground coffee society and no beans left there at all. They said hopefully tomorrow.

I shall visit again and see.

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero White | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr  | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

Im gonna buy some more to be safe, have 1kg coming from Rave (annoyingly in self isolation as I can almost smell Raves beans roasting if the wind is in the right direction from my back garden) and 3 bags coming from dog and hat.

Quick question on Freezing beans - as Im not in work have no access to anything to vacuum pack - some tape over the valve be sufficient in a pinch?

Sage DB - Niche - Torr 58.55 sharp edge - Osmio Zero 

Well we're continuing to supply and roast with no issues. My biggest concern is if the two Farmers Market we attend at the weekends will continue to happen. So far they are, as they play an important part of the weekly food shop for local residents.

Who knows going forward as the position seems to change daily...

• Like 2

Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Cafelat Robot  Grinders : Compak R120, Compak E10, Mythos One Clima Pro, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind, Feld 47, OE Apex

https://www.kaffeeculture.co.uk

Just ordered 1.25 kg off rave ?

ECM Mechanika V Slim.   Osmio Zero.
Eureka Mignon.
Sage dtp  Retired La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi 2 R.I.P

16 minutes ago, Stevebee said:

Well we're continuing to supply and roast with no issues. My biggest concern is if the two Farmers Market we attend at the weekends will continue to happen. So far they are, as they play an important part of the weekly food shop for local residents.

Have Royal Mail confirmed they will continue largely as normal ?

ECM Mechanika V Slim.   Osmio Zero.
Eureka Mignon.
Sage dtp  Retired La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi 2 R.I.P

1 minute ago, Border_all said:

Have Royal Mail confirmed they will continue largely as normal ?

Until all the posties and sorting office staff have to self isolate!

• Like 1

Isn't the bigger issue:

A) Loads of coffee shops shutting for who knows how long so no need for coffee

B) Loads of coffee shops potentially closing for good after this.

Businesses that have a large private consumer marketshare will probably be OK but those companies that rely mainly on commercial clients will really struggle. 

My local roasting place has stopped walk-in customers - only deliveries now :(

23 minutes ago, Stevebee said:

I have to say they absolutely should not take place, and the government should be providing support to small businesses, freelancers etc in this time to allow them to cease or heavily reduce business. It's weird looking as a brit living in germany as to the goings on back home and how different the approaches are. I'm not surprised that Boris and his mates are protecting the economy over the health and safety of the people, and that they aren't giving the necessary social aid, but it's still remarkable how they do this on the back of 'science'. I previously researched in epidemiology (not for long, just a year) and am a cognitive scientist these days, and the wide consensus is that the behavioural scientists who appear to be setting the policy in the UK are doing so in spite of science, not in the name of it.

I hope Thursday's announcement of COVID-19 measures includes significant social support, but I won't hold my breath. The people voted for 'every man for themselves'.

I hope you and others will get through this tough period.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, truegrace said:

Im gonna buy some more to be safe, have 1kg coming from Rave (annoyingly in self isolation as I can almost smell Raves beans roasting if the wind is in the right direction from my back garden) and 3 bags coming from dog and hat.

Quick question on Freezing beans - as Im not in work have no access to anything to vacuum pack - some tape over the valve be sufficient in a pinch?

There was another thread about freezing recently, if you don't have anything to vacuum then that should be sufficient. Could also wrap in clingfilm if available. Perhaps have a look at that thread.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HBLP said:

I have to say they absolutely should not take place, and the government should be providing support to small businesses, freelancers etc in this time to allow them to cease or heavily reduce business.

Out of interest, how do you go about doing this? If your business isn't doing that well anyway, a loan isn't going to help. You will start up again with the same issue but a loan to pay back as well. Giving people money isn't really an option. How do you decide how much to give people and who gets that money.

What are they doing in Germany?

10 minutes ago, colb16 said:

There was another thread about freezing recently, if you don't have anything to vacuum then that should be sufficient. Could also wrap in clingfilm if available. Perhaps have a look at that thread.

Thanks, Def better to have staler beans than none I guess worst case! Will have to sneak them into the back of the freezer so the missus doesnt see!

1 hour ago, mctrials23 said:

Isn't the bigger issue:

A) Loads of coffee shops shutting for who knows how long so no need for coffee

B) Loads of coffee shops potentially closing for good after this.

Businesses that have a large private consumer marketshare will probably be OK but those companies that rely mainly on commercial clients will really struggle. 

And don't forget the growers, often little more than peasants living in countries with no 'free at point of use' health service and also living at high altitude. 

So the 'roll on' effect is potentially horrendous wherever you are.

• Like 2

Me too Dave! 

I have a total of 6kg green which should see me through a few weeks at least! 

• Haha 1

Sage Barista Pro - Mignon Manuale - La Pavoni Zip - Gaggia Classic - Nanopresso - Osmio Zero

Stocked up on a couple of bags of greens as well, with these and what I've got will keep me going for a while.

Londinium I / Monolith Conical / Macap MC4 / Cormorant CR600 Roaster

Haha, gotta stock up! 

Posted (edited)

One of my roast sharers mailed me today, he was meant to pick up some roasted last weekend (and didn't make it). I had to tell him his Father had got to me just 1 hour beforehand and snaffled up my remaining spare roasted. He was not ecstatic when he found out ;)

Luckily I have 50Kg spread in sealed 12.5Kg Pentapacks (a nice variety of Daterras), and then another  50 - 70 or Kg of other coffees, perhaps a tad more. I think I'll weather the storm.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

I know where Dave lives so if worst comes to worst I can go and do some midnight roasting and be gone before the morning. He will never know anyone was there (apart from the fire and what not)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, mctrials23 said:

Out of interest, how do you go about doing this? If your business isn't doing that well anyway, a loan isn't going to help. You will start up again with the same issue but a loan to pay back as well. Giving people money isn't really an option. How do you decide how much to give people and who gets that money.

What are they doing in Germany?

I don't think Germany is doing enough on economic guarantees on this (compare to e.g. Finland), though I actually think the loans for businesses are fine (though they might not be enough). They're guaranteed so you can't go into debt with them. In Germany it's similar except their loans budget is 'infinite', they will give big tax breaks both now and for future to help with loan repayment. Further, freelancers and self-employed are already covered to stop loss of income in legislation that was made 20 years ago in case of infectious diseases - yes those Germans are incredibly well prepared! There's also 6 weeks of full salary before going down to a 'sickpay' level, paid either by the employer if agreed or by the state. I think there are also grants (not loans) for businesses that are forced to close completely.

Anyway, when referring to the difference, I was mostly talking about how here we have that all events >50 people are cancelled/illegal, all bars are closed, restaurants only until a curfew time (6pm), all schools are closed. Good thing that the weather's nice and we can go outside in the open air still..

Edited by HBLP