I was reading the Brita testing thread and was interested to see other people experimenting with Zero Water. I started playing around with water a few weeks ago for pour over coffee and was really surprised by the impact on taste . I ended up having to grind much finer when using Zero Water to achieve an acceptably full taste. Adding powders (Third Wave) helped send the grind someway back the other way. 

I much preferred the Zero Water (plus Third Wave) to Brita water.

Unfortunately, I found the Zero Water cartridges much too expensive. Family of four with weekend and morning/ evening weekday use, I have just finished my third filter at a cost of £45 (approx. £1000, annualised).

I’ve just set up an Osmio Zero in the kitchen and hoping for better filter life compared with the ZeroWater.

Curious to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences with ZeroWater filter life. 

(FYI I’m in North London (Finchley) and TDS meter shows 250 (so not off the scale).

Ps thanks to DaveC for the helpful review.

Edited by AJP80
Thanks to DaveC
  • Like 1

I only use mine for tea & coffee, so about a litre per day, cutting 3 parts with 1 part tap water (depending on how the perceived acidity is in the coffee). 

TDS is 236 and a cartridge lasts 3-4 months (unless you replace every 2 months, in line with sanitary recommendations).

I'm not sure I understand the changes in grind relative to water used?

5 minutes ago, AJP80 said:

Thanks Mark. I found I needed to grind finer to extract more flavour. I found the Zerowater made the pour over taste much more underextracted compared with the Brita.

Well, a brew with little or no alkalinity water will be brighter & have less body than otherwise, but it doesn't make any difference to measurable extraction, just to taste. It would be simpler to check the extraction is ball park & then adjust the alkalinity of the brew water to taste, whilst keeping the same grind setting.

I started off trying 1 part tap to 10 parts Zerowater for brewed & found myself gradually dialling up the alkalinity (some coffees have surprised me with straight tap water), not sure I'd be happy with a lot of brews made with straight Zerowater, though some coffees might be fine with it.

Perhaps the tap (Brita) water was hiding some of the issues with my brew. I’m certainly grinding finer now than I was. That said, and I could just be imagining it, my brews taste a lot less bitter now than before, when I was using the Brita. I changed so many parameters that it’s difficult to pin down cause and effect to any of them.

Anyway, I’m liking the new Osmio zero. Whilst Zerowater seemed like the perfect solution (just like Brita for convenience and matching r.o for performance), I was going through filters at an alarming rate. 

45 minutes ago, cjonny said:

Just seen this video from James Hoffman. Pretty damning for brewing coffee with the zero.

He seems to have deliberately screwed that up.

The Zero works just the same way as the Peak, the difference being the Peak handles the bypass internally, whereas you have to do it manually with the Zero. A shame that someone who gives the impression of sharing learnings & knowledge can present such an unrealistic & biased view.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed watching the comparison. I agree with the conclusion for ZeroWater, don’t brew with it. I didn’t enjoy my brews much with the Brita, either. Third Wave water tasted good, and is what I’m currently using, mixed with ZeroWater. Now that I’ve finished off my last ZW filter, I’ll need to figure out how to mix it with the remineralised Osmio Zero  water,  but that’s a job for next week. At some point, when I run out of Third Wave Water sachets, I’ll have to learn to make my own remineralisation powders. With coffee, I find I’m always experimenting. It keeps things interesting, at least.

Anyway, happy for now to have given up my £30 per week ZeroWater habit.

• Like 1

Hi Mark, I missed your reply before I posted. I had really positive results with ZeroWater with mixer (Third Wave water, in my case), so far as taste was concerned. If Peak works in the same way, I wonder if/ how they solve the longevity issue.

5 minutes ago, AJP80 said:

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed watching the comparison. I agree with the conclusion for ZeroWater, don’t brew with it. I didn’t enjoy my brews much with the Brita, either. Third Wave water tasted good, and is what I’m currently using, mixed with ZeroWater. Now that I’ve finished off my last ZW filter, I’ll need to figure out how to mix it with the remineralised Osmio Zero  water,  but that’s a job for next week. At some point, when I run out of Third Wave Water sachets, I’ll have to learn to make my own remineralisation powders. With coffee, I find I’m always experimenting. It keeps things interesting, at least.

Anyway, happy for now to have given up my £30 per week ZeroWater habit.

Sorry, you're saying, "don't brew with Zero water", then that you brew with TWW & Zerowater and it tastes good?

Why will your RO water be any different (beyond cost at the rate you use it at)?

Perhaps I could have been clearer - don’t forget to remineralise the ZeroWater before brewing. Other than the cost (at my rate of usage), I thought it was fantastic (as a base for the Third Wave Water solution). I was very surprised when I blew through a cartridge in just three days.
For the r.o. water, there’s a degree of remineralisation done by the Osmio, I believe, but not to the same degree as a sachet of Third Wave water, so it might not be as tasty, unadulterated, as the ZW/ TW solution nor as faff free as ZeroWater when used as a base for a sachet of Third Wave water.

Edited by AJP80
Typo
  • Like 2
He seems to have deliberately screwed that up.
The Zero works just the same way as the Peak, the difference being the Peak handles the bypass internally, whereas you have to do it manually with the Zero. A shame that someone who gives the impression of sharing learnings & knowledge can present such an unrealistic & biased view.
@mwjb completly agree.... As we have discussed water a little I was looking forward to this review. Expecting him to say the best option was to go for the zero and then make up a simple concentrate for hardness/alkalinity or add tap back in (which is basically what the peak does)...

Disappointing I suppose....

I think I am at the end of my tether with limiting my HX flushing because I am conscious of wasting bottle water.... I think I am going to end up getting a zero and making a concentrate of bicarb/mg.

• Like 1