IGNORED

Cafflano Krinder - hand grinder

4 hours ago, Skizz said:

Do tell. I'm looking for something a bit more compact than my old Porlex Tall for outdoor brews and missed the boat on the crowfunder. Early impressions?

Back Story: I was expecting quite a downgrade from my old Aergrind - replaced because WFH is now normality so i don't need a high end travelling kit really. Doesn't feel like a direct downgrade, just more plasticy

Early impressions:

Capacity is good (maybe 20-25g) - not the 30g they advertise but that was always going to be an 'up to' with some tiny dense African bean I guess. No bearings which i thought would be a downgrade from a stability and smoothness perspective but the housing for the shaft that holds the burr is a good tight fit so i don't see this being a huge issue and it is also very smooth (though maybe not bearing smooth).

Maybe most impressed by how quickly it powers through beans though. Given the burrs aren't huge I was expecting similar speed to the Aergrind as they have got the same burr set but (maybe because brand new, maybe because better feeding mechanism) it absolutely powered through them. It took maybe half the time I would usually spend grinding 15g and at way too fine of a grind setting. 

I also really love the aesthetic, the plastic is just that, doesnt have the slightly rubberised tactile feel the i think you would expect looking at the pictures but it does look great, fits quite nicely inside an aeropress. I am a bit unsure on the lid still, it doesnt really snap into place as you'd expect, there is just a little rim on the rubber which creates a friction fit - it also doesnt sit flush with the top of the grinder (by design, not sure if i agree with the design choice) It also means that when you are attaching the handle, the little notch that fits into the grind selector gets caught on the lid - easily pushed over but just a tad annoying.

I really enjoy how the handle looks and feels, how it selects grind and fits onto the grinder, and its holding mechanism on the side + top. 

I can take some pics if people are keen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not paid any customs or tax on mine.  Took on short caravan break, if do dial up all the way thats like zero or 1, then i think back off a full turn.  But im not sure if thats correct as I was getting super fine, to fine for my Kompresso to push water through, got better in end.

Certainly a lot easier to crank and hold than the first cafflano one.  Washed out when home but got what looks like surface rust on burrs already so not good.  I bought to use for work but now working from home so be for holidays will see how rust goes but can’t really oil it can I!!

Edit- just seen on box now home about not washing it at all as will discolour etc. Doh never do normally, only did as grind was so fine it seemed all gummed up, still work ok im sure.

Edited by lee1980
2 hours ago, lee1980 said:

Not paid any customs or tax on mine.  Took on short caravan break, if do dial up all the way thats like zero or 1, then i think back off a full turn.  But im not sure if thats correct as I was getting super fine, to fine for my Kompresso to push water through, got better in end.

Certainly a lot easier to crank and hold than the first cafflano one.  Washed out when home but got what looks like surface rust on burrs already so not good.  I bought to use for work but now working from home so be for holidays will see how rust goes but can’t really oil it can I!!

Edit- just seen on box now home about not washing it at all as will discolour etc. Doh never do normally, only did as grind was so fine it seemed all gummed up, still work ok im sure.

I got a customs bill on Friday, so looks like I was caught for £13 but they should be with me on Monday or Tuesday.

I bought one for use at work, and a second as a gift for my dad. both will probably only be used for aero press. 

4 hours ago, lee1980 said:

Burrs need to be made from fairly high carbon steel so are rarely truly stainless unfortunately. Usually you can run some easy cook rice through to pull oils/gummy grinds out. Also it is quite easy to wind the burrs the whole way out for cleaning. 

18 hours ago, tobyjrn6 said:

Burrs need to be made from fairly high carbon steel so are rarely truly stainless unfortunately. Usually you can run some easy cook rice through to pull oils/gummy grinds out. Also it is quite easy to wind the burrs the whole way out for cleaning. 

Thanks yeah, silly of me never have washed my previous classic grinder from Cafflano, I blame it on the heat last week and being away lol. I completely disassembled it and let it dry.  I may even put some of the food grade grease on shaft and it appears to run just the plastic no bearings.

just got my grinders. I agree with the comments about the rubbery lid. I dont like that bit. I was hoping that the grinder would fit inside the aero press which it half does so that is mildly annoying. I haven't put any coffee through it yet though but will do this afternoon and see how it performs. 

• Like 1

just had a further play. if I remove the band it will just about fit into the aeropress but dont wedge it in too tight, I thought mine wasn't coming out the first time.

I have just ground 18.5g for an aeropress coffee to test it out. It feels quicker than my feldgrind but I am not grinding as finely as that is set for so it may be an unfair comparison. Some fines seem to stick inside the grinder, so a little brush may be needed, or a tooth pick to get the worst out. Capacity is going to be 20g or so of the current LSOL beans. The stated 30g is going to be a stretch, both in the top and when ground. maybe with super dense beans. 

I would probably prefer an aergrinder, but that is 120 compared with 40. This one needs 6 months of use to see how it stands up but my first impression is that it is fit for the purpose that I bought it for (lightweight grinder for travelling with and use on aero press only). list price of 100 though I think is an exaggeration. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, lee1980 said:

I was going to try this aeropress go, next, not sure if better than the cafflano Kompress I have now. Is yours a standard aeropress?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YVL8SF3/?coliid=I1JQ6SR1XQ4DKF&colid=1H4VFEFU466Y7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

yes. I just have the standard aeropress. I haven't used an equivalent or alternative. to be honest, I bought it for travelling with work, then all travel was cancelled. I am not sure whether it will make the final cut for travel kit, I just want something to make a nice cup of coffee when I only have what I take with me and a hotel kettle. 

I understand, same here was going to be for work etc and that, but now be holidays so will not spend anymore yet and see how Krinder goes, its much smaller than the classic grinder so be handy for that.  

Got mine 2 weeks ago.. no customs charge luckily. 

I've not got the highest budget grinder to compare with but compared to my timemore slim, it grinds through beans quick but jars a lot more compared to the slim.

With coarser grinding there seems to be a few more fines compared to the slim.

Overall for the 40ish quid Kickstarter price, I would recommend for a travel grinder... Not sure about the full rrp though..

• 2 weeks later...

I received mine in August. I got the perk where it is bundled with a Kompresso (Cafflano's espresso maker). I already own an Aergrind but I was intrigued by the Krinder because it seems to use the same burrs but is significantly cheaper (~ £40 Kickstarter).

The grind quality and consistency is on par with the Aergrind. It's easier to dissemble and clean. Instead of bearings it has a single plastic bush (not sure how long that will last before it needs replacing). At the moment it seems fairly sturdy with no noticeable burr wobble.

The big downside for me is that it is a stepped adjustment and the steps are big.   I got it bundled with the Kompresso and it claims to be able to grind for espresso but I haven't got a decent shot out of it yet. The difference between the steps are enormous and there's no way to dial-in.  This is compared to the Aergrind which is stepless and can be dialed-in very easily. 

There's a lot of static build up beneath the burr when you empty the grounds bin. Much more so than with the Aergrind. The grounds bin is nice in that its made from a plastic that the grounds don't stick to so you get all of the grounds out when you up-end it over the Kompresso's basket.

It doesn't really fit inside the Aeropress in the same way that the Aergrind does - makes it slightly less convenient to travel with.

I think this will be a suitable grinder for Aeropress and pour-over and well worth it for the Kickstarter price. However, at the full price of ~ £100 I would recommend the Aergrind or Aerspeed instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 13/08/2020 at 17:22, tobyjrn6 said:

Back Story: I was expecting quite a downgrade from my old Aergrind - replaced because WFH is now normality so i don't need a high end travelling kit really. Doesn't feel like a direct downgrade, just more plasticy

Early impressions:

Capacity is good (maybe 20-25g) - not the 30g they advertise but that was always going to be an 'up to' with some tiny dense African bean I guess. No bearings which i thought would be a downgrade from a stability and smoothness perspective but the housing for the shaft that holds the burr is a good tight fit so i don't see this being a huge issue and it is also very smooth (though maybe not bearing smooth).

Maybe most impressed by how quickly it powers through beans though. Given the burrs aren't huge I was expecting similar speed to the Aergrind as they have got the same burr set but (maybe because brand new, maybe because better feeding mechanism) it absolutely powered through them. It took maybe half the time I would usually spend grinding 15g and at way too fine of a grind setting. 

I also really love the aesthetic, the plastic is just that, doesnt have the slightly rubberised tactile feel the i think you would expect looking at the pictures but it does look great, fits quite nicely inside an aeropress. I am a bit unsure on the lid still, it doesnt really snap into place as you'd expect, there is just a little rim on the rubber which creates a friction fit - it also doesnt sit flush with the top of the grinder (by design, not sure if i agree with the design choice) It also means that when you are attaching the handle, the little notch that fits into the grind selector gets caught on the lid - easily pushed over but just a tad annoying.

I really enjoy how the handle looks and feels, how it selects grind and fits onto the grinder, and its holding mechanism on the side + top. 

I can take some pics if people are keen

I'm surprised at how slow the aergrind is for moka pot or espresso style grinds. I assume it's the way the beans feed, or perhaps it's a burr shape that just burns through coarse grinds better (of course, you'd expect coarse to be faster, but the aergrind is slower than my old zassenhaus for sure, yet much faster for coarse! 

• Like 1