So I started looking at scales on Amazon and there's a pretty good selection of cheap 0.1g  scales out there, one major problem I came across is the annoying auto-off function. So then I turned my attention to drip coffee scales and then heard about the Acaia Lunar. It is ridiculously expensive for a digital scale, right? So before I once more succumb to the online shopping gremlin in my head and put more money on Paypal credit I thought I would ask the all-important question: is it worth it the crazy £240 asking price and why?

Are you after espresso scales or brewing scaled? The Lunar is very much the former and the Acaia Pearl is the latter. 

I got a set when they were doing 20% off on eBay 6 months ago and I love them (lunar). Super premium, lots of features, fast and accurate and lovely to look at. Are they worth the £190~ I paid? Not a chance. I had a pair of £10 scales that did 60% of the same stuff (the important 60%) that lasted me 3 years before they died. I used and abused those and they kept going even after getting wet, the display losing its backlight etc.

I think this question has been asked a number of times on here and the general answer is the same as mine. They are lovely and most of us would probably get them again but £200+ for a set of scales is madness.

• Like 1

Depends how much you want them. Plenty other options around Joe Frex ones seem good.

I paid £150 in New York?

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

1 hour ago, mctrials23 said:

Are you after espresso scales or brewing scaled? The Lunar is very much the former and the Acaia Pearl is the latter. 

I got a set when they were doing 20% off on eBay 6 months ago and I love them (lunar). Super premium, lots of features, fast and accurate and lovely to look at. Are they worth the £190~ I paid? Not a chance. I had a pair of £10 scales that did 60% of the same stuff (the important 60%) that lasted me 3 years before they died. I used and abused those and they kept going even after getting wet, the display losing its backlight etc.

I think this question has been asked a number of times on here and the general answer is the same as mine. They are lovely and most of us would probably get them again but £200+ for a set of scales is madness.

It's for espresso and I agree with what you say, I think I'll have to tame the gremlin and wait for a substantial discount if and ever they'll be discounted!

As others have said there are lots of options. One is the Brewista espresso scale v2. I owned the original version of this, which worked great until through being a total muppet I soaked it! (Don’t ask) Think it straddles the line between cheap scales that measure in 0.1g increments and something like the Lunar - it’s got timing/weighing/auto-tare features and some level of water resistance, but isn’t as slick as the Lunar. Haven’t used this version, though; others may have more informed opinions on its merits!

Anyway, just a thought...

Londinium I, Titus grinder, BWT MG2+ water filter

36 minutes ago, Noangel72 said:

How about the Felicita Arc?...it's much cheaper then Acaia....

Some say they a bare copy of the Lunars Tough weigh on Evilbay

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Sadly not an exciting story, just a stupid one. Making espresso with a double spouted portafilter, I balanced two small cups on the scales. I clearly got something in my prep / cleaning routine significantly wrong because the shot ended up gushing out of one spout with virtually nothing coming out of the other. With my lever machine you can’t just stop the shot mid-flow, so I hastily got another cup ready in case the first one overflowed (it really was coming out fast!). But instead of gracefully replacing the first cup, I ended up knocking it over and spilling the contents on the scales! I then compounded the error by moving the cup out of the way, which meant the still-flowing espresso from the machine was falling directly onto my scales! Tried shaking it out and leaving the scales to dry, but they never worked again.

Londinium I, Titus grinder, BWT MG2+ water filter

I can't advise on espresso scales as I brew via drip filter.  But when making up my mind on which scales to buy I think the important thing is to work out what you want them to do, which sounds a bit funny really. 

• Do you just want a weight reading, if so to what accuracy?
  • How important is immediate response time?
  • Do you want a timer on them?
  • do you want a 'smart scale' and if so what features, what's the software like for your phone?
  • What about durability of the build quality?

For me I just wanted a timer and a accuracy down to 0.1g and so spending the extra money on 'smart scales' didn't seem worth it.  

I bought the Hario Drip Scales online and they do all I want them to do and they do it well.  However, I wouldn't buy them again as they feel quite light and 'plasticy' which makes me think they may not be very durable.  I've had no problems with them as of yet (used for about 1 month) and so I may be completely wrong about their durability, but what can I say I thought they'd have a  bit more weight to them.

In terms of a company to buy from I've found that Horsham Coffee are very competitive on price for hardware, the scales I bought were £50 compared to £60 at various other companies, service was also very good.

Hope that helps.

Gareth

• 2 months later...

I rate my Felicita scales, buy from a decent reseller and you should be fine. Using the arc and the parallel daily for two years whilst the missus uses my old acaia lunar for baking. Plus plus two sets of scales for price of acaia, also a weird benefit if you use spouts or split shots, the Felicita arc is wider for double cupping

• Haha 1

Londinium R - Mahlkönig EK43

Making coffee can be that great...

@obsessivity

I like my Felicita arc but the app is shocking. Same is true for acaia app mind.

@Colio07 The Brewistas should have survived that, they're designed to anyway. I've spilled coffee on my V1s a few times, rinsed them under the tap and everything and they're still fine. If they were still in warranty you should have been able to get a refund.

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

I picked up the brewista V2 last year when they were half price, they're do the job but the modes are pretty much useless and in comparison to the Pearl I have for pourover there's definitely a small bit more lag/inconsistency (for example the grinds cup I have weighs out at 69.0 every time on the Pearl but on the Brewista can range from 68.7 up to 69.1), and I've noticed when I've weighed and tared that sometimes the value stored can jump around a little. 

Just don’t try saving a buck or two importing yourself use a UK reseller and I can’t see why you’d have any issues

Mine can from a bloke in Northern Ireland - has one set ex demo strain gauge got damaged in shipping had to wait for the next batch but sent me a new set to replace the faulty ones. Scales were not packed in their OEM box so must have had a hard time in shipping!

• Like 1

Londinium R - Mahlkönig EK43

Making coffee can be that great...

@obsessivity