blazarov

Royal - plastic fan fins rubbing on motor housing

Hello coffee people!

I just bought very cheap Royal off the forum blindly and faced bad surprise.

When turning the bottom burr by hand it is obvious that it doesnt rotate freely. It rubs agains something.

I opened it and it is obvious that the plastic fan that is fixed on the motor rotor is rubbing against the motor housing. Basically all edges are worn out.

Otherwise the shaft doesnt have any noticeable play.

I am quite surprised on how can that happeb.

Everything seems very well fixed and no evidence for other issues. The motor runs fine, but the plastic fan rubs badly and i wouldnt use it that way.

Any idea what couls have caused that.

Also how to fix it? I can easily grind the edge of each fin until it stops rubbing but it doesnt feel right. Also i suppose it will be quite disbalanced

Any ideas and recommendations welcome!

Pics and video coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@coffeechap is your man for this, he has probably had more of these open than anyone.

Can the shaft/fan be moved upwards?

I know how I would 'fix it' or at least stop it rubbing but I'd rather not say as if you die in the process I'd feel guilty....

Everything is set pretty tight. Trying pushing the fan up and down but it seems solid.

Thats pretty weird and i am wondering if it is a result of shipping fault or it has been altered badly in the past

The fan may have traveled up towards the burr carrier, you will need to get the motor out to get enough purchase to reset it, although you can sometimes do it through the front. You can sand the top corner of each vein which will stop the contact. If there is no movement in the spindle then it will work fine. It all depends how much you want to strip it down.

• Like 1

AKA Toffee chips

Today i’ve cut the offending edges of the top fan through the front doser opening, but bad news for me.
Still rubbing, it must be the both fan too.
This means motor housing removal, right?
As far as i’ve seen on the forums people heat the grinder in oven and so on. Definitely not trivial :)

Posted (edited)

Owen is for Major, SJ etc, this grinder has a separate motor from the main body.

Edited by L&R
  • Like 1

CFBG Team

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Thanks to@coffeechap and @L&R my problem can be considered closed! Cheers guys! :)

Root cause identified, replacement parts already ordered.

I can use these few days while waiting for the parts for powder coat (not initially planned just because i wanted to try it ASAP and because i thought removing the motor is much harder.

I am very happy as the job turned out much easier than expected. The Royal is a beast that actually is much easier for repair and maintenance compared to the SJ!

I only regret for messing with the top fan unnecessarily.

PS now when i saw how it looks on the inside and what is the exact damage i can really imagine this is caused by bad shipping and i trust the seller@tobyjrn6 is honest saying he sent me an OK grinder

PS i am also pleasantly surprised by my wife’s patience :-)

97833ba27071467344e753ce5e1a32a7.jpgd1bc0e1b78162fa63164dd27ade3183e.jpg