Sign in to follow this  
Bagpu55

How varied are coffee flavours? What to try next

So being new to this game I am nearing the end of my first kilo of Beans. I went initially for some Rave signature blend so I could start dialing in my technique, my new grinder and using my Gaggia classic that Im glad to report has just been PID that has made a great difference. It has been good coffee in espresso, americanos, lattes and ok in my aeropress (still working on that), but not quite the depth of flavour I am after. I dont really know what to expect from flavours so what would you recommend in a mixed pack (ideally from 1 seller) to represent the cornerstones of flavours from coffee? Would trying polar type flavours guide me more towards certain type of beans in the future so I can see what I like and what I dont. 

What do you recommend trying?

Cheers

Gaggia Classic 2006 @ 9 bar. Feld 47 Travel, Motta competition 58.4 tamper

As a major jolt from what you have tried, how about something totally on the other side...

Monsooned Malabar, Old Brown Java, or any of the Indonesian/Sulawesi  beans.

Google is your pal.

• Like 1

What fruits do you enjoy, or maybe more importantly what don't you like? Do you enjoy sharp acidic flavours like lemon or lemon juice? Do you drink whisky, if so what type and what flavours do you enjoy, same question with wine? If you like grapefruit you might also like a coffee with grapefruit notes, if you like wine you'll probably like a coffee with winey acidity or fruity-boozy notes, if you like smokey earthy whisky why wouldn't you like a coffee with those notes? Most sellers list flavour notes so it really shouldn't be difficult to find things you might like...herbal teas might help you decide on some fruit and floral flavours to look out for.

• Like 1

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

I am not massively experienced but I have bought a bit on my coffee journey so will share my opinion.

Firstly to keep it simple I would say sticking to one roaster like you say would be a good idea for a basic taste comparison. Rave are easy and fairly cheap...

So... My experience so far has been that 'house blends' or those types of beans are very 'middle of the road'. They are easy drinking but after time can seem a little bland (I drink all milky drinks). For me the following from rave fall into this category...

Signature, fudge, chatswood, espresso blend, colombian-suarez...The stand out here for me is the SO Colombian Suarez so I'd buy that as your middle of the road option....

Then I'd choose somthing that has a bit more punch that will stand out a bit more in milk...

Mocha Java, Italian job, monsooned malabar.... I personally didn't like the malabar from rave but I think I'd like to give it a second chance after really enjoying the malabar hit from coffee compass... I do like the java coffee, you get a rich bold taste that almost has a peppery spice that you taste through milk. Italian job has the distinctive taste of coffee when 'on the continent', I can't enjoy it personally.

A natural process is also another distinct taste character, not really my thing but worth tasting as you will notice the difference.... There is a certain 'funk' that you get with a natural.

Then a lighter roast with more floral notes I suppose, but I have little experience here... Just pick one you like the sound of.

• Like 1

If you like fruity and light then Obadiah Coffee Roasters have a really good Costa Rican on at the moment that I am really enjoying as an espresso. I also really like @Hasis Sigri AA. It makes a really nicely balanced espresso and also goes well with some milk.

I'd say the oddest coffee ive had was a Brazilian Natural as a pour over. Tasted ok but not my cup of tea (per se).

Jampit hit from Coffee compass (I think) was good as well. 

• Thanks 1

I also think sweet/chocolate choice can help guide things. 

Do you like chocolate? If so do you prefer the bitter-sweet of dark chocolate or something more like milk chocolate. 

Also, do you like caramel? If so a lighter roasted Guatemalan/columbian could be right up your alley. 

• Like 1

Sage Barista Pro - Mignon Manuale - La Pavoni Zip - Gaggia Classic - Nanopresso - Osmio Zero

My advice would be to not overthink it.  Look online or visit local roasters and just buy things that have tasting notes which appeal.  Don't be afraid to try things outside your comfort zone.  If you don't like something, then you knew for next time.  If you do, you can look for other beans with similar tasting notes.   You won't love everything you buy, but this is supposed to be fun and enjoyable so don't' get too worried about finding the perfect bean right away.   Enjoy the journey.   Buying a subscription is a good way to try different beans, especially if the beans are from different roasters.  I have a sub with Dog and Hat and enjoy trying beans from different roasters that I may not have chosen myself.

Edited by Kitkat
  • Like 1

Gaggia Classic (2006), Eureka Mignon MK2

Thanks for all the responses, my problem is I don't really dislike anything. If I go out I always try something new, I like craft ale so always something different, whiskey I have a cupboard full, preferring Islay whiskeys, light smokey/peat but with some sweetness, port, yorkshire tea, herbiscus tea . Really thinking about my likes;

Spices: CInnamon, clove, peppers, chilli, star anise

Fruits: Love them all mango, berry, lemon, lime, raisins,cherry. I have a love/hate with grapefruit tho, nice in fruit but in ale too sour.

LOVE mince pies LOL but not so much boozy more fruity. Sourdough.

I must say I like the sound of the mispent youth posted about a bit. Will do some searching around, literally opened a can on beans.

Failing that some tesco milkshake from another post.

Gaggia Classic 2006 @ 9 bar. Feld 47 Travel, Motta competition 58.4 tamper