ratty

Gaggia Classic for sale, made in Italy, 1300w

This was going to be my keeper but after upgrading, I'm going to sell it

It is the machine I bought from the British Heart Foundation in Northampton just a month ago!

An initial write up on it can be read on the thread titled "Untouched Gaggia Classic 2004?" 

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/49534-untouched-2004-gaggia-classic/?tab=comments#comment-712856

After a total strip down I replaced the shower plate holder with a new brass one. I also fitted a new cafelet head gasket lubricated with Molykote 111.

I cut the 40mm hole in the front panel and the 2.3mm slot required to fit the front pressure gauge.

I will add 3 pictures I've downloaded for now as I have to go out for a short while. More pics and write up to come soon!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by ratty
spelling

Vesuvius, Pavoni Europiccola, Niche Zero, Feld 47, Osmio Zero.

Price?

1995 'Coffee Gaggia' with full Gaggia Classic conversion, DIY PID Controller, OPV set to 9bar, Silvia steam wand, Botomless PF, VST 15g Basket, Motta 58mm Tamper and Ascaso I-Mini grinder

Ok,

Four more pictures of the rebuilt classic.

All the bolts on the machine were inspected for any sign of corrosion there wasn't much but I put in new boiler to group head bolts, 

Solenoid to boiler o rings and hex head bolts, OPV hex head bolts and o rings

Portafilter handle was removed and slight corrosion on bolt was cleaned and lubed before re-fitting

All bolts in fact were lubed before re-fitting and internal threads cleaned.

All new o rings and gaskets throughout.

I had trouble totally removing the OPV pressure screw. It became difficult and I stopped the removal. When I checked it on the pressure gauge it read 2 bar so I screwed it back in (screwed back in fine) and set it to 10 bar, as shown.

Polished outside and didn't find one light scratch on the case apart of course from the top cup holder and the top of the drip tray.

The portafilter is original in great condition and the end cap is absent.

2 screws in the blind basket as I changed them for brass ones, I will send these ones on though (from top cover)

£160 collected or I can meet up to 50 miles (100 miles return trip for me) for 15p per mile the cost of my fuel.

No offers please.

Thanks

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by ratty
  • Like 4

Couple more pics.

One, the left hand side looking front on, the other of the top.

8.jpg

9.jpg

Nice :)

1995 'Coffee Gaggia' with full Gaggia Classic conversion, DIY PID Controller, OPV set to 9bar, Silvia steam wand, Botomless PF, VST 15g Basket, Motta 58mm Tamper and Ascaso I-Mini grinder

Where do you live (roughly) Ratty? I’m very interested in this and I’m in the Hull area. Would you be able to tweak the OPV down to 9 bar pressure?

Hi, just noticed this post, I didn't get notification for some reason?

I live in Bedworth, Warwickshire

I could meet you at Junction 27 M1. 

That would be 134 miles for me return but count it as a hundred so an extra £15 towards my fuel needed.

It's 85 miles for you each way?

I can set it at 9 bar but that is what is required at the head and it drops 0.5 bar between the pump and the portafilter, so at 10, what it's set at (actually it's set at 9.8 bar) it would come down to 9.5 (actual 9.3 bar) going into the portafilter.

I will set it to whatever you want though.

Long journey for us both on  heavy trafficked motorways (I used to work in Nottingham and had a daily commute from Bedworth!)

I could post it but it will cost a bit, as I would only post it if I have it fully insured?

Leave it up to you Wilko?

Thanks for your interest 

Postage cost £15 fully insured 2 to 3 days delivery.

Postage cost £23 fully insured next day delivery (after posting!) delivered before 12.00 hrs

Thanks for the reply, are they non pressurised baskets with the portafilter?

When would you be able available to meet up?

Just what you see in the photos. All non pressurised, a single, a double and a blind basket.

I can meet up any day between 10.30am and 12.30pm. (sorry for times but I need to get back home as I'm a full time carer)

Sure you don't want to have it posted?

Mark as sold please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ratty said:

Mark as sold please.

Great 😁 Done!

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

Ha!
Just noticed that cotton bud :D

Looks like a quality refurb, happy coffee time @Wilko327 :cool: hope to see you stick around here!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ha Ha!

Bud was to stop any flying metal particles entering whilst cutting hole for front pressure gauge!

Will be putting my 2005 PID'd Classic up for sale in the next week too.

• Like 1

• About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use.

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

Donate / Sponsor

Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

image.png