robti

Thick or thin crema

Hi so I have been happily pouring on my classic for years now, but last night visited my brother with his new isomac pro 5.1 and watched as he poured his first shots and these started to get thicker as he dialled it in. So tried this on my classic and on mine it would just choke as I ground it finer. Anyone care to explain why I get a thin and he gets a thick shot ?

Thanks 

Gaggia Classic, Brasilia RR55OD

Same grinder and beans?

Preinfusion from the E61 Vs your gaggia classic lets him grind finer without choking the machine.

His machine could also be set to deliver a higher pressure too.

Edited by Rob1

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

The Isomac is an HX type machine - or assume it is at that price. Some use a similar sized boiler at steam temperature and route that straight to the portafilter. An HX or heat exchanger machine has a tube running through what effectively a large steam boiler and the brew water is heated by running it through the tube. The grouphead also plays a part in it in both cases.

What happens with brew temperature on HX machines can vary according to make and how they are used. Some flush for instance before pulling a shot. The flush gets rid of excessively hot water in the tube. What some one does in this area is likely to effect results. I haven't tried on yet but will do.

Preinfusion mostly allows the puck to wet out thoroughly and expand before full pressure is applied so should lead to more even extraction. It can lead to the initial very dark flow not being seen.

Leaves Rob1's questions. What beans.

Tuning a grinder can need very very small adjustments and they are not easy to make on many grinders. The dose can be used to some extent as can time. A stepped grinder may need both. The Brasilia has been a well regarded grinder in the past but a lot of this aspect is life time and a reasonable burr size.

There is an ideal dose. Usual way of setting that is via a coin test to ensure there is enough space for the grinds to expand. As usual with most things that can be changed and increased slowly by small amounts. Say 0,2g a time. Eventually it results in a harder tamp due to grinds expansion - too much and extraction messes up.

:) So people can carry on doing what ever for a very long time doing exactly the same thing every time but ...............................

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

I’d agree with the preinfusion variable; I get much thicker shots when I slowly saturate the puck before the actual pull.

5 hours ago, robti said:

Hi so I have been happily pouring on my classic for years now, but last night visited my brother with his new isomac pro 5.1 and watched as he poured his first shots and these started to get thicker as he dialled it in. So tried this on my classic and on mine it would just choke as I ground it finer. Anyone care to explain why I get a thin and he gets a thick shot ?

Thanks 

In general a better machine with a more stable group, better group, good portafilters, better temperature stability, better pressure regulation, different flow rate. I used to have a Gaggia back in the day. There is a marked difference in use and ease of use as you move into the prosumer space.

The big steps are: good HX (all HX machines are definitely not created equal), then Dual Boiler the smaller more incremental (diminishing returns) are as you move into the esoteric space and profiling. With profiling the difficulty ramps up and it's harder to get the best out of the machine.....

I would guess he may also have purchased a nice grinder to go with it

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......