Jump to content
Cup_of_Joe

Advice on gear for a newbie please :)

Recommended Posts

If i can add my 2 cent , I think in your budget a Lelit Anita (pl042TEMD) would fit . If you can find a Lelit KATE  PL82T in your budget I would go for that  without even thinking twice since they have all the stuff that are missing in the Anita..

I have one for several years and I wish I would start with it as my first machine ( had a Thermoblock Quickmill 0835 ).

or like Bica60s mentioned maybe a combination with Rancillio sylvia.

Edited by stickyz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one coming up in the next few days as I have upgraded to a profile machine.

It is a 2005 Classic Set at 9.5 bar at the pump (so 9 bar at portafilter)

It has many new internal parts, which I will list when I put it on the forum for sale.

It is fitted with a MrShades PID.

I have just sold my 2004 Classic too!

See the thread;

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/50115-gaggia-classic-for-sale-made-in-italy-1300w/

The 2005 is even better than this one!

It will be online on the forum before the weekend


Vesuvius, Pavoni Europiccola, Niche Zero, Feld 47, Osmio Zero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might shock everyone but I'm leaning towards the Sage 😲. It's on offer at £550 + sage have a promo with a load of extra gear on redemption.

I have a super busy lifestyle and as much as I might like to learn the intricacies of coffee making I feel like Sage will give me good milk and decent coffee from the get go without investing lots of time in technique, which suits my me. It seems they sell second hand OK so if I want to invest more time I can always sell it and go for something more manual.

Before I go ahead, any thoughts on the above would be appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cup_of_Joe said:

This might shock everyone but I'm leaning towards the Sage 😲. It's on offer at £550 + sage have a promo with a load of extra gear on redemption.

I have a super busy lifestyle and as much as I might like to learn the intricacies of coffee making I feel like Sage will give me good milk and decent coffee from the get go without investing lots of time in technique, which suits my me. It seems they sell second hand OK so if I want to invest more time I can always sell it and go for something more manual.

Before I go ahead, any thoughts on the above would be appreciated. 

Not a shock at all, if that machine works for you go for it, there is nothing wrong with a Sage!

Is it this one:-

https://www.johnlewis.com/sage-ses878-the-barista-pro-coffee-machine/silver/p4081414

Edited by NikonGuy

Current:  La Marzocco Linea Mini | Mahlkönig EK43S (Loan Unit) | 25g VST Basket | Torr TI G5 TF SE 58.55mm Tamper

Past: Rocket Appartamento | Eureka Olympus 75E w/ Titanium Mythos Burrs | 18g VST Basket | Torr Classic 58.4mm Tamper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that the only sage you would consider. The Duo temp pro and Bambino are both good machines and having a separate grinder means if you do want to upgrade eventually you only need to replace the machine. The bambino is available for £200 from curry's so you could get Lakeland to match that for 3 years warranty as well. I paired mine with a Niche Zero and it has been fantastic. Like you didn't really want a big learning curve or a project so much as just the best morning coffee i could get and i feel this setup does that for me. 


Niche Zero -- Sage DTP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, NikonGuy said:

Not a shock at all, if that machine works for you go for it, there is nothing wrong with a Sage!

Is it this one:-

https://www.johnlewis.com/sage-ses878-the-barista-pro-coffee-machine/silver/p4081414

https://www.costco.co.uk/Appliances/Small-Kitchen-Appliances/Coffee-Coffee-Capsules/Sage-Barista-Touch-Bean-To-Cup-Coffee-Machine-in-Black-Truffle-SES880BTR/p/318752

It's this one.

As far as I know (other than the dual boiler) the internals of the Sage coffee machines are largely the same. The reason I like the look of the touch is the auto frothing wand which has great write ups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Cup_of_Joe said:

https://www.costco.co.uk/Appliances/Small-Kitchen-Appliances/Coffee-Coffee-Capsules/Sage-Barista-Touch-Bean-To-Cup-Coffee-Machine-in-Black-Truffle-SES880BTR/p/318752

It's this one.

As far as I know (other than the dual boiler) the internals of the Sage coffee machines are largely the same. The reason I like the look of the touch is the auto frothing wand which has great write ups.

Maybe try and get John Lewis to price match...


Current:  La Marzocco Linea Mini | Mahlkönig EK43S (Loan Unit) | 25g VST Basket | Torr TI G5 TF SE 58.55mm Tamper

Past: Rocket Appartamento | Eureka Olympus 75E w/ Titanium Mythos Burrs | 18g VST Basket | Torr Classic 58.4mm Tamper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try Ecookshop as well.


SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

 

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, NikonGuy said:

Maybe try and get John Lewis to price match...

JL generally won't price match Costco. I've heard Costco are far more no quibbles than JL with warranties in any event. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cup_of_Joe said:

£999 at Ecookshop!

Get a classic then haha will serve you well


SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

 

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use.

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

    Donate / Sponsor

    Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png

×
×
  • Create New...