Noangel72

Synchronika love & care

I've had my new Synchrinika for a week now and it's an amazing machine, I thought I better double check with the experts what it needs done regularly to be maintained properly.

Care:

Backflushing: is once a day over-kill? and if I do it once a day, that's without cleaning agent, correct?

Backflushing with cafiza (I've always used this on my previous machines) is required every 100 shots or so, correct?

To descale or not descale: is it safe to do it at home and how often? and what product? (h20 in my area is super-soft, tester shows 0 hd and goes through a Brita jug first anyway).

Other than above, plus cleaning exterior, portafilters and steam wand am I missing anything else?

Use:

Is it better for machine to be left on all day or on/off as required? It has an Eco function that kicks in after 30min so I'd be inclined switching it on morning and off evening and let Eco take care of rest in between.

Should the portafilter live on the E61 in between uses or better leave it on the counter? I'm thinking with warm machine it would eventually cook the gasket if I keep it locked on group-head all day!

That's lots of questions I know! I'm not even going into opening up the machine, it's so shiny and expensive that I'm afraid even looking at it...haha! 

Backflushing: daily with water, once every 3-4 weeks depending on usage. Always re-lube the cam lever after that!

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/e61-lubrication

Water: if your water is soft, then great.

The aim is to avoid descaling. If there’s no scale (you can take the e61 infusion valve - right at the top of the mushroom - out) to inspect it in 6 months time.

As MediumRoastSteam has said above.

I also have a Synchronika.
I only switch mine on in the mornings when I’m going to use it and when I leave work at night so when I get home it’s up to temperature. Switch off in between. I didn’t see any advantage to keeping it switched on 24/7.
Leave the ports filter in the machine so it’s nice and hot and ready for when your ready for a coffee. The gaskets won’t melt or anything and they are designed to withstand high temperatures and they are cheap anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

17 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Backflushing: daily with water, once every 3-4 weeks depending on usage. Always re-lube the cam lever after that!

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/e61-lubrication

Water: if your water is soft, then great.

The aim is to avoid descaling. If there’s no scale (you can take the e61 infusion valve - right at the top of the mushroom - out) to inspect it in 6 months time.

Where can I get a wrench with protective sleeves for the jaw as the guy in the video? One of my paranoia is how to get to those shiny nuts without scratching them.....thanks, I followed link and lots of tutorials there....

That's the one, cheers man!

Recommended directly by the “guy in the video”.

Electric tape also does the trick nicely to protect shiny chrome. And make sure you cover the group with a thick towel, just in case it slips or you are clumsy like me!

... or, use a tea towel like I do and use that between the jaws of the wrench and the nut.

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

Electric tape sounds good too. I'll be sweating cold first time I go near those nuts....anyway thanks for the tips.

If I had electrical tape near, or around my nuts, I would also be sweating. 

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Just now, DavecUK said:

If I had electrical tape near, or around my nuts, I woulso also be sweating. 

Why'd you say that? the glue residue? I was thinking very precise tools would reduce scratching or I came across what I think they're called tube spanners, they lock on 5 faces as opposed two two, otherwise those jaw protectors....not sure, really but there's a few nuts out there I wouldn't like to scratch.....especially if that cam nut needs to come out once a month...ouch!

Why'd you say that? the glue residue? I was thinking very precise tools would reduce scratching or I came across what I think they're called tube spanners, they lock on 5 faces as opposed two two, otherwise those jaw protectors....not sure, really but there's a few nuts out there I wouldn't like to scratch.....especially if that cam nut needs to come out once a month...ouch!

Think that one went over your head there!

1 hour ago, Noangel72 said:

there's a few nuts out there I wouldn't like to scratch.....

I wouldn't like to scratch any nuts other than my own! 

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

1 hour ago, Deeez Nuuutz said:

emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

Think that one went over your head there!

...yes, it did 🥶......and surely I'd kick myself in the nuts if I scratched £2k worth of nuts....haha🤑

1 minute ago, DavecUK said:

I wouldn't like to scratch any nuts other than my own! 

Why? Are your nuts chromed too?

1 minute ago, Noangel72 said:

Why? Are your nuts chromed too?

Not all but they are important to me... For sure I would be upset to scratch the chrome ones. 

12 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Not all but they are important to me... For sure I would be upset to scratch the chrome ones. 

😆😆🤣😅 All this talk put me in the mood for some nutmeg on my cappuccino......🥶🥶🥶

• Haha 1

On 14/02/2020 at 21:33, Noangel72 said:

😂🤣😂

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.