IGNORED

Mignon burr alignment - New

I have just taken delivery of a Mignon Manuale which looks great. 
I have started sending through the supplied 1kg of duff beans (which actually taste ok) 
but visual inspection of the grind it looks a little uneven to say the least. 

I spent a good amount of time with the felt tip method aligning the burrs of my la Pavoni (64mm flat) and it made a significant difference to extraction and flavour. 

So I am thinking I should probably do this on the mignon too.

Or should I wait till the burrs bed in? 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you buy cheap products, you expect cheap quality. That's it.

To update I aligned the burrs earlier, pre alignment there was a section of about 12-4 on a clock that was higher and rubbing the marker first.  The burrs were touching at this section when the dial

Not sure of Zenith 65E burr life....might be around the 350Kg mark, really can't remember at the moment?

Posted Images

I have started sending through the supplied 1kg of duff beans (which actually taste ok) 

I spent a good amount of time with the felt tip method aligning the burrs of my la Pavoni (64mm flat) and it made a significant difference to extraction and flavour. 

I assume it'd be the same tin foil shim method as used on the mignon MK2, SJ etc. May as well get it sorted sooner rather than later.
Just now, ashcroc said:
29 minutes ago, TomHughes said:

I assume it'd be the same tin foil shim method as used on the mignon MK2, SJ etc. May as well get it sorted sooner rather than later.

That’s what I’m thinking. Get it done now. 

15 hours ago, Magnobh said:

I have got a mignon specialità. Lease let me know what is the felt method?...
Sorry.
Thanls. emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Enviado de meu MI 8 Lite usando o Tapatalk

This is for an ek43 but should be the same with the mignon

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, WolfHammatt said:

Having very much the same issue on my Manuale. Also having an issue with not being able to grind fine enough for some decaf beans I have, with 2 other blends being too close to the finest the dial will go for my liking. Wonder if the two issues are related?

I suspect so. 
My manuale is definitely requiring alignment. 
I dismantled the top and fully cleaned it out. Then with the top burr in I slowly turned it by hand, turning the dial finer and finer. 
There was a point where the burrs came into contact, just one point, so would catch then release on each turn. 
It took a further bit of turning for the burrs to fully lock in and resist the turning. 
On my la pavoni after I aligned the burrs this didn't happen, they just pretty much touched and locked in one.

• Like 1

To update I aligned the burrs earlier, pre alignment there was a section of about 12-4 on a clock that was higher and rubbing the marker first. 
The burrs were touching at this section when the dial was on around 0.5. 

After about 15 mins and some foil shims I got the bottom burr straight. The burrs were now touching at around -2 on the dial. So a lot closer together. 

The upper burr didn't need any alignment. 

The resultant grind is clearly far more consistent visually.

The first pull set at dead on the number 1 (18g) fully choked the espresso machine. 

I dialled out till I am just a mm or 2 beyond the 2 marker. This produced an excellent espresso. 

So I'd recommend doing this if you have a mignon as the difference is huge. 

• Like 3
On 13/02/2020 at 20:14, Border_all said:

Fascinating really amazed that a brand new grinder is potentially sent out without being spot on.  Thank you 

I have never found a grinder spot on from the factory, I've calibrated 10 Eureka's over the years for family and friends and all needed a little shimming.

I also never shim until at least 5Kg of beans have been through the machine.

With my new grinder I'm having the burrs lapped, it will be interesting to see the results...

Edited by NikonGuy
  • Like 2
29 minutes ago, NikonGuy said:

I have never found a grinder spot on from the factory, I've calibrated 10 Eureka's over the years for family and friends and all needed a little shimming.

I also never shim until at least 5Kg of beans have been through the machine.

With my new grinder I'm having the burrs lapped, it will be interesting to see the results...

Thank you. I stripped mine for cleaning ready for the Lsol February and i can say mine will need shimming. I have put through about 3.5 kg so far so will take your advice and do mid end march. Good luck with trying lapped burrs ?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Border_all said:

Thank you. I stripped mine for cleaning ready for the Lsol February and i can say mine will need shimming. I have put through about 3.5 kg so far so will take your advice and do mid end march. Good luck with trying lapped burrs ?

Thanks it's an interesting little side project, after the lapping the burrs are going for a plasma enhanced chemical vapour deposition coating ? I may start a thread on the whole process...

Edited by NikonGuy
  • Like 1

I have just submitted a new post for Mythos but I can see lots of similarities in this thread. Thank you for the video.

• Like 1

Nothing succeeds as planned.

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

• 3 months later...
On 15/02/2020 at 13:45, TomHughes said:

To update I aligned the burrs earlier, pre alignment there was a section of about 12-4 on a clock that was higher and rubbing the marker first. 
The burrs were touching at this section when the dial was on around 0.5. 

After about 15 mins and some foil shims I got the bottom burr straight. The burrs were now touching at around -2 on the dial. So a lot closer together. 

The upper burr didn't need any alignment. 

The resultant grind is clearly far more consistent visually.

The first pull set at dead on the number 1 (18g) fully choked the espresso machine. 

I dialled out till I am just a mm or 2 beyond the 2 marker. This produced an excellent espresso. 

So I'd recommend doing this if you have a mignon as the difference is huge. 

Hi all, hoping to resurrect this thread for a bit more info on the Mignon.

Just been looking at my fairly new Specialita and thinking about the alignment. The burrs are definitely not parallel, but I can sort that with the helpful information above.

However, the lower burr carrier is not concentric with the motor axle. I'd say it's roughly 1mm off, meaning the lower burr spins off-centre. As far as I can see there's nothing that can be done to correct this without installing a new carrier, but it also strikes me that achieving perfect concentricity is less important than perfect parallelism, between the two flat burrs.

I'm wondering if anyone here who has had their grinder apart can share whether their burrs were perfectly concentric? And perhaps someone could shed light on the relative importance of concentricity (edit: have just realised Matt in that BH video linked states parallelism is 90-95% of the problem) and what kind of tolerance should be expected from a grinder at this price mark.

Edited by lexathon
adding more information
19 minutes ago, hubcap said:

I'm afraid my taste buds are not up to noticing if the burrs are misaligned.

I just clean now and then and grind away.

I don't think it's about taste buds. Mine we so mis-aligned I couldn't grind fine enough for harder beans and light roasts, as the burrs would touch. Spending the time to align them was well worth it in this case. 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 02/06/2020 at 06:16, lexathon said:

Hi all, hoping to resurrect this thread for a bit more info on the Mignon.

Just been looking at my fairly new Specialita and thinking about the alignment. The burrs are definitely not parallel, but I can sort that with the helpful information above.

However, the lower burr carrier is not concentric with the motor axle. I'd say it's roughly 1mm off, meaning the lower burr spins off-centre. As far as I can see there's nothing that can be done to correct this without installing a new carrier, but it also strikes me that achieving perfect concentricity is less important than perfect parallelism, between the two flat burrs.

I'm wondering if anyone here who has had their grinder apart can share whether their burrs were perfectly concentric? And perhaps someone could shed light on the relative importance of concentricity (edit: have just realised Matt in that BH video linked states parallelism is 90-95% of the problem) and what kind of tolerance should be expected from a grinder at this price mark.

I know it's been a long time since you posted this. Just curious if you ever did anything about the lower burr carrier issue. I have the same issue. tried to do the whiteboard marker parallel alignment process and it was made impossible by my lower burr wobble. Even when I would spin the burr manually and could hear it only making contact once a rotation I would take it apart and all the marker would be rubbed off. super frustrating. Was trying to find a way to show how out of alignment the burr carrier was to the retailer I purchased from and I finally figured it out when I had the entire chute assembly removed and could look at the burrs from the side. Check out where the burrs meet in the video below. it moves out of alignment quite a lot.

I know it's not the most expensive grinder but you can feel the whole thing shake as the burr slows down from the alignment issue. Pretty frustrating.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...