Just a quick one regarding milk for latte art, im currently using semi skimmed milk in all my drink making, my art in improving but very slow. So the question is will using full fat milk make that much difference when it comes to producing art?

Ive read many internet post that say that full fat milk is much easier to work with. This is my progress so far with my art.

20200207_173927.jpg

You can make good latte art with both types of milk. For me full fat is easier, but not by that much.

It also depends on how important slightly better latte art when compared to taste or calories. 

It might be worth experimenting with full fat and seeing which you prefer.

4 hours ago, Dalerst said:

Just a quick one regarding milk for latte art, im currently using semi skimmed milk in all my drink making, my art in improving but very slow. So the question is will using full fat milk make that much difference when it comes to producing art?

Ive read many internet post that say that full fat milk is much easier to work with. This is my progress so far with my art.

20200207_173927.jpg

Your microfoam looks ok, so I think it's your technique that needs work. 

That being said I get a much better microfoam when I put my milk in the freezer for 10-15 mins before steaming. It gives me more time to stretch and then incorporate. Particularly as I only steam around 150ml at a time. 

I'm probably around the same level as you in that the microfoam is there or thereabouts so it's the actual pouring technique which needs thinking about.

I use whole milk and I'd say it's noticeably easier, plus I prefer the taste.

Recently I watched the video below and it's been a big help (most helpful tutorial I've seen), I can do a half decent heart now. Also, I've decided to try and walk before I can run by patiently perfecting my heart before trying to move on to anything else. Before I was trying to do a Rosetta every time which was absurd because I didn't really understand the fundamentals of pouring technique.

I would have to agree with KingsoftheHeath in focussing on perfecting a heart before moving on to anything more challenging, which is what I’m currently doing. I typically use semi skimmed milk in the house but prefer full fat for milk based coffee drinks. It is slightly easier to produce a good microfoam and I prefer the texture in a latte. Definitely worth practicing with full fat if you can.

The Seattle coffee gear video is good and also the below video has been invaluable for me, best I have come across. I find you really do need good microfoam to start with though.

• Like 2

Full fat won't make much difference. Just keep practicing steaming. The key is in good steaming technique. Once you nail the milk the art becomes a lot easier.

• Like 1

I'm definitely finding the steaming technique for a flat white the hardest thing since I got my machine. I think my difficulty is mainly getting that swirl which textures the milk nicely. But I'm hoping it'll come to me with everyday of practice and in the meantime I drink whatever mess I come up with biggrin.png.c6b268a4fd898770b304c93bef9a49ee.png

Started working on the heart, getting there. Will post photos once I'm totally happy with results.

• Like 1

I've just gone through a few days where I could barely make a splob, let alone a heart... But strangely the milk drinks were tasting better than ever. I wish I had some photos of the bad attempts because they were so far off I couldn't believe it.

I've just managed to produce a heart, albeit with lots of improvement on shape and definition. Annoyingly I have no idea what caused the difference between disastrous and 'not far off' - I can't put my finger on anything I was doing differently, not consciously at least.

Anyway, last effort was encouraging and I still hope my problem lies more in my pouring technique than my milk frothing.

43cf0da1d45fd6e9baabfa763f4f83a2.jpg

• Like 1

I managed s little rose on the wife's coffee earlier, well sort of 😂😂

IMG-20200213-WA0004.jpg

Slowly getting there, but this one went wrong :-

Latte_Art_Practice_2_(oops).thumb.png.4bdc863170521cdb0fce47adcc202aa5.png

Amazing pioneering latte art - hen parties a speciality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 4

Lelit Mara 62, Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

This from this morning is my best effort in terms of definition, almost no muddy brown-ness. That Chris Baca video helped a lot. Got high hopes for my flat white tomorrow morning!7849acb85fad7385f413ffb3fa440855.jpg