Hairy_Hogg

LSOL February - Cartwheel [Nottingham]

Got mine today too 🤗 not tried it yet but can smell caramel, with spice and may be a hint of chocolate.

Cant wait to give it a try, just need to finish the last few beans in the hopper first.

A little boozy. Milk chocolate finish? Still can't quite identify the fruit. A little creamy and smooth. Got some biscuit/pastry in there...something a bit buttery anyway. Do we ever find out what it is?

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

5 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

A little boozy. Milk chocolate finish? Still can't quite identify the fruit. A little creamy and smooth. Got some biscuit/pastry in there...something a bit buttery anyway. Do we ever find out what it is?

Yeah, there'll be a reveal around the time the next roaster is announced :)

• Like 1

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Something really strange has happened - yesterday had a go at pulling a shot of these on my gaggia and wow it was a great fruity flavour with about 18g  - 44g in 24 secs, but couldn't help but wonder if I could tweak a little more from them. This morning adjusted the MC2 ever so slightly ( as you know these are great for small adjustments!) I ended up getting around the same weight in shot in about 1min 18secs!!!!!!!!! Seeing as I hate waste I added some water and thought here goes (wondering how much sugar I would have to add to make it palatable) and it was still great to drink 🤯

Getting the shot in that amount of time should have given me something really over extracted and sour ( I've had it before and not a nice taste!) but I'm really confused as it was in fact not a bad black coffee (same amount of water etc as usual) Confused to say the least!

4 hours ago, AmandaH said:

Something really strange has happened - yesterday had a go at pulling a shot of these on my gaggia and wow it was a great fruity flavour with about 18g  - 44g in 24 secs, but couldn't help but wonder if I could tweak a little more from them. This morning adjusted the MC2 ever so slightly ( as you know these are great for small adjustments!) I ended up getting around the same weight in shot in about 1min 18secs!!!!!!!!! Seeing as I hate waste I added some water and thought here goes (wondering how much sugar I would have to add to make it palatable) and it was still great to drink 🤯

Getting the shot in that amount of time should have given me something really over extracted and sour ( I've had it before and not a nice taste!) but I'm really confused as it was in fact not a bad black coffee (same amount of water etc as usual) Confused to say the least!

It's not that strange...well the strangest thing is you made a small adjustment on an MC2 and tripled the shot time. Suggests there's a big difference somewhere e.g. not purging, single dosing vs full hopper, error in weighing in etc. I wouldn't have expected it to be sour at that ratio in that time, if anything bitter, but I wouldn't expect it to be awful.

• Like 1

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Yeah I usually find that if the ratio is the same, but it takes a longer time due to a tight grind, actually you have to go a long way before it negatively impacts the flavour. I usually pull my shots a bit longer (eg 18:42) and that can still be good even if the shot takes a minute.

Having said that, I do now like to aim for a shorter (~25 second) pull for natural process and most of the LSOLs just because I find that this accentuates the fruit and funky body flavours.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Loving this coffee. Currently 19.5g - 50g out in about 26-27s seconds at 7 bar with 5s pre infusion!

So juicy and fruity. All the berries with caramel sweetness!!!