E404

Coffee puck disposal

As per the title, just seeing how you dispose of your used pucks?

How do you dispose of the contents of the knock box or wherever your used coffee pucks end up?

At the moment I'm putting mine onto the garden and I'm going to see how that particular part of the garden responds to growing veg, flowers and the like.

Not sure the best, environmentally friendly way to dispose of these and it got me thinking what everyone else does. 

I've done a bit of research and it looks like composting is the best way.

Also what about the coffee shops? Do they have a special way of recycling, considering they must have tons of the stuff?

• Like 1

Compost. And so my compost is 80% coffee puck! Only just started the massive bin so can't comment on outcome for the garden.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

99.9% of the time I just throw it out with the food waste but have thrown into a pot / window box a few times (theoretically to act as a slow release fertilizer but no idea how well it works). It's also meant to be quite good as a slug repellent.
Think most coffee shops will happily give away their used pucks if you want to use it in your garden.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

ashcroc, I'm not looking for used pucks by the way just wanting to see what the folks on here did with theirs, which led me to think what the coffee shops do as they obviously use lots more than the home coffee drinker.

ashcroc, I'm not looking for used pucks by the way just wanting to see what the folks on here did with theirs, which led me to think what the coffee shops do as they obviously use lots more than the home coffee drinker.

Well yeah, I guess most of us produce enough already. It could come in handy if someone needs something to mix with alot of grass cuttings though & saves them just going out with the general waste. Pretty sure I saw someone on TV a while back who filled tights/stockings with coffee grounds to grow mushrooms.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Garden for me, stops the cats using it as a local toilet which is an added bonus. 

Although always one that decides to come a leave me a present every few weeks..

95% of mine go to a mushroom farm locally in exchange for the odd few king oyster mushrooms (which are incredible). 

The other 5% goes to anyone locally who wants good compost starter. 

• Like 1

decaf iced americano please, I'm in a rush by the way. Oh, make sure it's E̵̘̹͍̒͊X̷̣̍͂t̶̙̽̚R̴̡̯̾͜a̸̡͉͝ ̷̨̪̓́H̵̟̳͋̉o̶̖̊̌͐Ț̷͔͑͜͠

All goes on the garden. The plants don't seem to object and I'm trying to convince myself it all helps.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

I used to chuck it in the garden beds, then I read that this can be pretty bad. Eg see this paper 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1618866716300103

Fresh SCG [spent coffee grounds] should not be used as a soil amendment in ‘closed loop’ urban food production systems without consideration of potential growth suppression.

Apparently there is lots of caffeine left and that can be toxic to other plants.

Equally the line after the quote above does state:

Further research is required to determine the optimal composting conditions for SCG and blends with other organic wastes.

The above in context with the quote offers one view that does not answer the debate on coffee grounds use which is well established in some horticultural sectors ( urban mushroom farming would struggle without spent coffee grounds to get enough rowing medium at a price that would make growing in a city sustainable)

Not offering up the above to cause issue or offence, just balance :)

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 92Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Exchanging my coffee pucks for various produce from allotment with my coworker. 🥕

Sage Barista Express, V60, Moka Pot, Filter/Cafetiere | Black Coffee | Like to explore beans and roasters