Roy Smith

Very old topics

Just joined the forum and there seems to be loads of good stuff on here.One thing am disappointed with though is when I go to he sections regarding what machine to buy or how much my money will get me the advice is 7 or 8 years old.How much relevance is this advice now.Or am I looking in the wrong place? 

A lot of the advice is still relevant but there are advances since then.

There is more up to date information but searching for it isn't always easy.  What do you have in mind, any machines that take your fancy currently ?  And how much are you looking to spend ?

The machine types are as they were 6 years ago, albeit some new players on the block and a few machines with added technology.

a grinder a lever and some beans

Thanks for the answer Working Dog.I am on here on behalf of my better half as I am not a coffee lover.Her 10 year old Silvia has finally died and she us looking for a replacement.She has narrowed it to latest Silvia at  around £500 or Gaggia Classic 2019 at £360.As you can see there is a big difference in price.The Gaggia seems to have more bells and whistles.Her budget is around £500.Or is there better options?

Although I have no experience of any of them you have three options that spring to mind if buying new.  Silvia, Gaggia or Sage.  

If you are willing to look at second hand then you will get the occasional bargain that comes up on here - mainly HX machines.

If it was my money I'd look at buying used 

a grinder a lever and some beans

Is her Silvia definately terminal? If either of you, or even both of you, are "handy" you may be able to repair it. There is lots of advice available here, many, many members repair, modify and upgrade their machines.

This of course depends if it is financially viable, or of course she might appreciate something new and shiny ?.

She wants to buy new and I don't think we have enough knowledge to go for used.She has looked at Sage and dismissed them so that leaves the two machines I mentioned she also wants a decent grinder and I imagine she could get the Gaggia+grinder for the price of a Silvia.

Ddoe,we have already changed the pump and,gasket and did all the cleaning of the solenoid etc and,backflushing etc.

The problem with it is the coffee flow is slow and only comes out of one of the portafilter nozzles.Also does not produce crema any more as well as being a lot noisier than it used to be.

Does it run freely without the portafilter in place ?     Have you tried upending the P/F in  hot Pulycaff ?

She tells me it comes though very slowly with the single but hardly at all with the double one.

2 hours ago, Roy Smith said:

She wants to buy new and I don't think we have enough knowledge to go for used.She has looked at Sage and dismissed them so that leaves the two machines I mentioned she also wants a decent grinder and I imagine she could get the Gaggia+grinder for the price of a Silvia.

Can't blame her for wanting a new machine!

I only mentioned it as a possibility.

Hope she enjoys her new machine, whatever it is.

Thanks for all the advice and it looks like she is going for the Gaggia Classic 2019.

Now to look for a grinder.?