Nerdlinger

Upgraded to Kitchenaid Artisan

I recently acquired a Kitchenaid Artisan (£54 off ebay).

I wanted an upgrade from my Krups XP52 (£27 off ebay) and recommendations like on this forum pointed me towards Gaggia Classics but that was looking a bit pricey even second hand so I took a chance on this sort of rebadged one and so far so excellent. It needed a bit of cleaning, especially the group head distributor which was stuck on but came off by winding a longer screw into the shower screen screw hole which is a tip I got off this forum. The paint is coming off a rusty bit under the water tank. The seller said the hot water didn't work but it does for what that's worth. I don't usually froth milk so I might actually look into disabling the steam boiler so save a bit of power and carbon footprint. The portafilter and filter basket have a burnished look to them, don't know why, still work OK. The insides look brand new and the box it came in had the Kitchenaid logo and "factory refurbished" printed on it. I can't work out the date code from the label on the back but it's made in Italy, "Date Code/Serial Number WK24503808", there's a 12 on the portafilter which I read somewhere indicates 2012 but it might not be the original.

Most importantly I had a very good espresso after breakfast this morning.

SAM_5280.jpg

SAM_5286.JPG

Hey up,
the burnished look might stem from using the wrong descaling agent with aluminium boilers. It's a frequent sight on Classics and can be polished off. Dunno whether a chemical reaction can force that coating off again...
In your quest for better cup quality you might find yourself getting IMS or VST baskets. Even though polishing the suefaces of your current baskets make it appear shiny, you cannot reach into the holes - the coating may very well impair flow and/or taste

Internals look mint!
Could you get rid of all the crud behind shower screen? Looks nasty...

My list of spares/upgrades would contain a brass shower plate, silicone group gasket, mesh shower screen and IMS baskets.

Most importantly, have fun making better coffee!

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I'll try some Brasso on the filter things. I'll keep your suggestions in mind but I'm not looking to throw more money at coffee just yet, I'll enjoy this upgrade for a bit. The group head came up OK after cleaning, some stains didn't shift but it is a vast improvement.

• Like 1