grumpydaddy

Cheap kitchen knives?

1 hour ago, ashcroc said:
1 hour ago, ajohn said:
Sabatier and buy a steel to keep them sharp. They will last for a very long time used like that. The steel may have to be used a number of times to be really effective at the angle you happen to use. emoji6.png I've been using my Sabatiers for over 30 years. Little and often is best on things like carving knives. For dead fresh crusty bread a kitchen devil can do a decent job - usually the fine saw side.
John
-

Sadly, 30 year old Sabatier knives are a far better quality to some of the blades that carry the name these days.

I added a rather long carving knife around 18months ago and I would say there is no difference. They should have thickened the steel up a bit maybe as it's so long and the handle is a bit small. I have no problem at all scoring pork joints with it once the steel had been used on it.

The trick really is the steel to sharpen them. They wont work on super hard knife steel and to me Sabatier is about the correct grade. The steel cold forms a cutting edge as well as wearing them a little. There are probably other makes that also use the correct grade of steel.

Actually they are stainless.

John

-

Edited by ajohn

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

1 hour ago, Fez said:

What is everyone using for their sourdough/really crusty bread?

For bread I use this, cheap and works a treat:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-Rosewood-Bread-Serrated-stainless_steel/dp/B000IAZC14/

Current:  La Marzocco Linea Mini | Mahlkönig EK43S (Loan Unit) | 25g VST Basket | Torr TI G5 TF SE 58.55mm Tamper

Past: Rocket Appartamento | Eureka Olympus 75E w/ Titanium Mythos Burrs | 18g VST Basket | Torr Classic 58.4mm Tamper

They do need some warnings. If some one cuts a sandwich up onto a plate I'd do my nut as it will take the edge off. ;) Doesn't take that long to correct really but. I always use a wooden chopping board.

If anyone knows of a source for really good steels I'd be interested. The one I use is also by Sabatier. I always remember my father saying it was impossible to get a really good steel rather a long time ago. The Sabatier does it's job but I wouldn't mind something a bit more aggressive. I've thought about asking a butcher.

Also bough some Sabatier scissors - the blades can be retightened. Screw rather than a rivet etc. These replaced heavy scissors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06Y1Z876S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought early 18 and lots of use on meat of all sorts. Did some sausages the other day and noticed they needed tightening so just did. The skin wasn't cutting cleanly every time. They were fine on meat as they were. Used for dicing meat for curries and casseroles etc. I know amazon have some much dearer similar style ones but sometimes cheap is ok. These are.

John

-

Edited by ajohn

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

This is the kitchen devil - I don't find it that good for carving meat using the scalloped edge which I think is what that side is intended for

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000HV9FWG/ref=psdc_3187118031_t1_B0044P0MHS

John

-

It sharp for about a month, I have it's ok ish

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

I got myself a Sebatier Chef's Knife about 25 years ago for around £30, and it's still going strong. I use it for nearly all my food preparation, so never had a need for an entire fleet of kitchen knives. 

I don't think I've even needed to sharpen the thing more than a couple of the times using my cheap roller type sharpener. 

Edited by HasBean

Steels aren't the best at sharpening anything other than softer steel blades.  Personally, I wouldn't use a steel on any of my better blades unless I want to ruin the edge which generally need only a few wipes on a leather strop.   A steel's job is really only to straighten an edge.  To maintain my better blades, when needed (in between whetsone sharpening) I use a fine ceramic rod (Lanskey) and a leather strop.  If a blade loses an edge a steel isn't the tool to regain it.  The edge really needs re-applying with whetstones or other means of proper sharpening.

Edited by Bica60s

On 16/01/2020 at 00:31, Uriel4953 said:

Massive Fan of the Torijo DP range although they used to be a lot cheaper than they are these day's. Picked most of mine up for £40-50 back in the day. I much prefer the harder steel Japanese style blades to German style blades, but Japanese steel does need a bit better looking after. Don't try to honing a japanese steel knife on a steel either as the blade is harder than the metal the steels are made of.

Japanese steel blades do hold there edge a lot better though.

👍 Fully agree and Tojiro DP are great value. I unfortunately invested in many, much more expensive knives, before discovering Tojiro. Their VG10 steel outperforms any of the German knives I have.

On 19/02/2020 at 21:33, Fez said:

What is everyone using for their sourdough/really crusty bread?

On the Tojiro theme, the F-687 bread slicer, is easily the best and sharpest bread knife I've owned or used. 

• Like 1

It depends on which kind of knives you need. Cheap knives are ok for slicing veggies or sth like that, but not for meat.

Replaced my steel with a cheap ceramic rod a few years back. Would never go back. It's just the same technique but sharpens to an extent as well as realigns edge. Knives only go to the honing stones about once a year now.

https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/pt/-skerper-basic-ceramic-sharpening-pod-25-cm-sh003.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAy9jyBRA6EiwAeclQhI5ob4ndEBIYZ3lASl-jJjqtQTBXd1BRAkzcKnHzAv2MZ8JdSaKXfhoCV_QQAvD_BwE

On 26/02/2020 at 21:29, Mattius2 said:

Replaced my steel with a cheap ceramic rod a few years back. Would never go back. It's just the same technique but sharpens to an extent as well as realigns edge. Knives only go to the honing stones about once a year now.

https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/pt/-skerper-basic-ceramic-sharpening-pod-25-cm-sh003.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAy9jyBRA6EiwAeclQhI5ob4ndEBIYZ3lASl-jJjqtQTBXd1BRAkzcKnHzAv2MZ8JdSaKXfhoCV_QQAvD_BwE

I have the same one as you but must admit I found the Lansky one slightly better...same end result though, I only need to use the stones a few times per year at most now.

Mercer

On 20/02/2020 at 22:03, InfamousTuba said:

For a cheap but good quality bread knife, I would definitely recommend this mercer knife:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000PS1HS6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_sdWtEb05HFM6F

Also the mercer genesis series of knives are good, reasonably priced entry level knives

Mercer knives are fantastic value....and this one in particular has served us well for years. Not only a splendid bread knife....but amazing for cutting/shredding lettuce and other associated jobs.

I've been watching this guy on youtube for a while now, and whilst it may not quite fit in with the concept of a cheap kitchen knife from the time taken to make it, i thought this was an interesting way to make your own unique, cheap kitchen knife: 

V60, chemex, clever dripper, Moka pot... and a grinder not quite good enough to get the best out of any of them...

if you’re bored, there’s always the YouTube channel: YouTube.com/c/littletipple