grumpydaddy

Cheap kitchen knives?

Not interested in high end so in the same way that the guys I work with have a choice of buying CK screwdrivers cheap and change every 6 months or Bahco for more ££ and change every 18 months,

What are my options for middle quality kitchen Knives? Something that will hold an edge and sharpen ok preferred or just buy another cheap one as needed.

Used to be that Sabatier sat in this market.

Thoughts anyone?

Mybe some of the Pro Cook range could suit you.

• Thanks 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

The Victorinox range may be worth looking at.

Victorinox knives are great value for money. Worth the few quid extra for the wooden handles version. Much nicer feel than the plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rickv said:

Victorinox knives are great value for money. Worth the few quid extra for the wooden handles version. Much nicer feel than the plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This

Victorinox, alessi, Sabatier are all good options. 

See if you have a home sense near you as it's always worth having a rummage around in there :)

• Thanks 1

LR, ZM

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

Victorinox, alessi, Sabatier are all good options. 

See if you have a home sense near you as it's always worth having a rummage around in there :)

Notable ones in homesense are Kai and Zwilling

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Notable ones in homesense are Kai and Zwilling

Zwilling! Thats the one I couldn't remember the name of!

• Like 1

LR, ZM

I like the procook professional x50 range. Especially the santoku. Really well weighted and easy to keep sharp with a steel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Massive Fan of the Torijo DP range although they used to be a lot cheaper than they are these day's. Picked most of mine up for £40-50 back in the day. I much prefer the harder steel Japanese style blades to German style blades, but Japanese steel does need a bit better looking after. Don't try to honing a japanese steel knife on a steel either as the blade is harder than the metal the steels are made of.

Japanese steel blades do hold there edge a lot better though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Niche Zero -- Sage DTP

12 hours ago, Abcan said:

I like the procook professional x50 range. Especially the santoku. Really well weighted and easy to keep sharp with a steel. 

I have one and to be honest, it plus a pairing or 10cm utility knife are probably all most home cooks need in their kitchens, knife-wise.  I've had my X-50 Santoku for a good few years now and it is used pretty much daily.  In that time the edge has been maintained using just a leather strop and a Lansky LSS8CM ceramic rod, and re-sharpened twice, properly using water stones.  It's a great choice for someone not wanting lots of knife-clutter.

Edited by Bica60s
  • Like 1

Sabatier is a bit confusing as it's not a trade mark or company. There are some very good  sabatier and some not so much, so you need to be a bit careful. 

• Like 2

Niche Zero -- Sage DTP

2 minutes ago, Uriel4953 said:

Sabatier is a bit confusing as it's not a trade mark or company. There are some very good  sabatier and some not so much, so you need to be a bit careful. 

I learned something today! Good spot. 

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

19 minutes ago, Uriel4953 said:

This is something I never knew! 

LR, ZM

A thumbs up for the Procook XC50’s for me as well.  Had 6 of them for 5 years or so - a big improvement over my old Sabatiers.