csrti946

Mazzer SJ, used for £81.. working. Should I buy?

So, I current have a Sage SGP with which I am struggling to get consistency in my espressos. I have seen a Super Jolly going cheap. What are the pitfalls of buying a second hand machine? What commonly needs to be done for maintenance?

Cheers,

Edited by csrti946

Gaggia Classic, steam wand mod; 21g naked PF;  Sage SGP

In my experience theyre built like tanks, may need new burrs but tye likelihood is the internals will be ok. Doser is annoying and made me upgrade from my old ceado e7 which is a v similar grinder but otherwise go for it. Youll get a much better grind

• Thanks 1

BLUE Mazzer Major, Compak F10, Expobar Office Leva Dual, Sage Smart Grinder pro, Delonghi EC221.B(modded to hell)

Providing the bearings are sound= no rumbling or screeching ( no play)   otherwise a good thorough clean and as already stated possibly some new  (GENUINE  MAZZER ) BURR'S.

• Thanks 1

As the above stated really. Don't let the doser sitch annoy you, you can mod it fairly easily to be a clean sweep.

Thanks guys. I am now the proud owner of a Mazzer SJ!

8 hours ago, csrti946 said:

Thanks guys. I am now the proud owner of a Mazzer SJ!

Nice. Are you planning on taking it apart and giving it a good clean?

6 hours ago, Cooffe said:

Nice. Are you planning on taking it apart and giving it a good clean?

I will eventually give it a good clean. I am in the process of moving up to Grenoble. So, it might have to wait a bit. Is there a maintenance guide somewhere on the forums? 

Edited by csrti946

5 hours ago, Michael87 said:

That is a nice price

That seems to be the lower end of the going prices (euro 90-140) for a second hand Mazzer SJ here in the south of France. There were three on the Leboncoin for similar prices just after Christmas. The guy I brought if from was a coffee rep for one of the big torrefacteurs here. He does some business on the side reselling unused cafe equipment that he picks up from his customers.