MrShades

Gaggia Classic 2018+ / Pro - EU timer disable

I've been doing some research recently - and have now managed to quite easily disable the 20min timer on the latest 2018+ Gaggia Classic / Gaggia Classic Pro / Gaggia Classic 2019.

Some quick background, and where I started from:

The first image below is the switchbank of an EU Gaggia Classic 2018+, which has the timer.

The second one is the switchbank of a US "Gaggia Classic Pro" version, that doesn't have the timer - but otherwise is very very similar.  The wires used are largely different colours, but there's also two or three connectors that are used on the EU version, but unused on the US one.  Curious.... 😉

So - with quite a bit of digging around, tracing wires, taking things apart and general investigation - I found that the easiest way to defeat the 20min timer is to simply remove the two "extra" cables from the front switch-bank (the green one and the blue one below it) and then to bridge these two wires together.

Doing this doesn't seem to affect the machine in any other way - it turns on the same, heats up the same, brews, steams and turns off the same (but only when you press the button to do so, it doesn't turn off automatically after 20 mins).  Hooray!

I've shown some pics of the wire that I made up for this mod - using high temp flexible silicone cable and a couple of 6.3mm male spade connectors - you simply plug one connector in on one side, and the other on the other side, and fold the wire over.  Simples and reversible if required.  (I'm going to make them slightly longer, as it makes folding them easier - even though it's using flexible silicone cable, when they're short it's not quite as easy).

I've also included some additional photos of the wire installed.

If anyone buys my 2018+ Gaggia Classic PID kit and wants one of these cables then I'll include one free of charge IF THEYASK FOR IT.  (If you've previously bought a 2018+ kit and want one then it's just £1 for 1st Class postage and packing).

If anyone else who's a member on here can't make one, and wants to just buy one from me - then I can provide them at minimal cost - £2 plus postage (1st Class 70p, 2nd Class 61p!).

I'm still working on a good, effective OPV mod - and I'll probably combine this timer disable mod, with a 9 bar OPV mod, and sufficient silicone pipe to properly replumb the OPV (right now they have the OPV dumping into the drip tray on currnt models, which is a crazy waste of water) within a "Fixes for the Classic 2019" combination mod kit within the next few weeks.

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_5564.jpg

IMG_5571.jpg

IMG_5570.jpg

• Like 8

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

I've been doing some research recently - and have now managed to quite easily disable the 20min timer on the latest 2018+ Gaggia Classic / Gaggia Classic Pro / Gaggia Classic 2019.
Some quick background, and where I started from:
The first image below is the switchbank of an EU Gaggia Classic 2018+, which has the timer.
The second one is the switchbank of a US "Gaggia Classic Pro" version, that doesn't have the timer - but otherwise is very very similar.  The wires used are largely different colours, but there's also two or three connectors that are used on the EU version, but unused on the US one.  Curious....

So - with quite a bit of digging around, tracing wires, taking things apart and general investigation - I found that the easiest way to defeat the 20min timer is to simply remove the two "extra" cables from the front switch-bank (the green one and the blue one below it) and then to bridge these two wires together.
Doing this doesn't seem to affect the machine in any other way - it turns on the same, heats up the same, brews, steams and turns off the same (but only when you press the button to do so, it doesn't turn off automatically after 20 mins).  Hooray!

I've shown some pics of the wire that I made up for this mod - using high temp flexible silicone cable and a couple of 6.3mm male spade connectors - you simply plug one connector in on one side, and the other on the other side, and fold the wire over.  Simples and reversible if required.  (I'm going to make them slightly longer, as it makes folding them easier - even though it's using flexible silicone cable, when they're short it's not quite as easy).
I've also included some additional photos of the wire installed.

If anyone buys my 2018+ Gaggia Classic PID kit and wants one of these cables then I'll include one free of charge IF THEYASK FOR IT.  (If you've previously bought a 2018+ kit and want one then it's just £1 for 1st Class postage and packing).
If anyone else who's a member on here can't make one, and wants to just buy one from me - then I can provide them at minimal cost - £2 plus postage (1st Class 70p, 2nd Class 61p!).

I'm still working on a good, effective OPV mod - and I'll probably combine this timer disable mod, with a 9 bar OPV mod, and sufficient silicone pipe to properly replumb the OPV (right now they have the OPV dumping into the drip tray on currnt models, which is a crazy waste of water) within a "Fixes for the Classic 2019" combination mod kit within the next few weeks.

IMG_2858.thumb.JPG.868876e2a5ef2863bc4e3d0971012310.JPG
IMG_2854.thumb.JPG.01523c6397e0bdb2f4f6d9c6b7d68538.JPG
IMG_5564.thumb.jpg.f1cbac9d2d4c4583ae4f60ca229c39b7.jpg
IMG_5571.thumb.jpg.9c6b184417ede4c1f3bca6e6a3cd1d55.jpg
IMG_5570.thumb.jpg.bb4deb162b2d07c05469db258254d328.jpg
Any idea what the single green wire on the top left of the steam switch does? It seems missing from the US version too.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

20 minutes ago, ashcroc said:
1 hour ago, MrShades said:

Any idea what the single green wire on the top left of the steam switch does? It seems missing from the US version too.

That's the (now completely unnecessary) feedback to the timer, that the machine is in steam mode.  On a standard machine, the timer doesn't seem to activate when it's in Steam mode.

You can pull it off, or leave it on, and it makes no difference - so just leave it alone.

• Like 2

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

Just to add some detail, if you're interested:

The green wire - in both cases of the steam and brew switch - is the wire that's switched live (blue wire) when you hit the brew switch or hit the steam switch.  The green wire going live is what resets the timer (or tells the timer that the machine is in use).

So - by connecting the green and blue permanently, the machine believes that the brew switch is permanently on (even though it's the other pair of connectors behind the brew switch that actually control the pump/solenoid and brew function) and the machine never turns off.  The double green connector is directly connected to the green connector on the steam switch - which is why it makes no difference if that is connected or not.