StevenG91

Restoring Italian La Pavoni 1980ish

Okay so I was impulsive as Ive always wanted one of these machines and picked one up at a decent price on ebay. Being a complete Newby to these machines can anyone point me in the direction of instructions for complete tear down and service. My main question is that this comes with Italian mains lead and plug does anyone know how easy it will be to change over to UK with earth wire. Many Thanks 

Screenshot_20200114_124739_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20200114_124742_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Edited by StevenG91
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Nopapercup said:

This model is from the late 1970's and like most pavs, fairly straightforward to refurbish. Here's a thread of the two I did 

also check out Francesco's site for all info and he also supplies parts http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/index_eng.htm

Thank You, I'm a complete Newby with these and my knowledge is lacking and this will certainly be helpful. Ive just read the entire thread and don't know wether to be excited or scared haha. 

Edited by StevenG91

7 hours ago, StevenG91 said:

Thank You, I'm a complete Newby with these and my knowledge is lacking and this will certainly be helpful. Ive just read the entire thread and don't know wether to be excited or scared haha. 

These where my first attempt and the only difficulty was removing the element but if yours is working and you're not painting the base then you won't need to. 

If you're changing the other wires than take a few photos first and copy when swapping. If all is working than maybe just use an adapter for the plug and just descale and change the gaskets. 

If it isn't leaking at the bottom and you're NOT painting the base, then all you need to do is change the group head gaskets and move on. Takes, maybe, an hour max. Only thing close to a special tool is a set of snap ring pliers that you can get pretty cheap. No need to be scared. You'll see how simple these things are when you get into it.

Here's a video of the group only rebuild.

13 hours ago, Nopapercup said:

These where my first attempt and the only difficulty was removing the element but if yours is working and you're not painting the base then you won't need to. 

If you're changing the other wires than take a few photos first and copy when swapping. If all is working than maybe just use an adapter for the plug and just descale and change the gaskets. 

Sorry I should have made myself clearer in my post, I'm currently waiting on it arriving from Italy. I just want to try and get a head start on it. I have no idea about the state of it other than from the pictures. I've been assured that it turns on fine. For safety reasons would it be wiser to completely renew the wiring and change to a UK plug with earth wire or if its not broke don't fix it as they say and just get an adapter for the plug. I have no electric experience what so ever and would have no idea where to start with any sort of rewiring (I've even watched the Orphan espresso video on wiring but alas I'm am an electrical idiot). With regards to the element, does this not need to be removed to put a new seal in? I'm assuming this machine hasn't been touched since the 70's. Sorry for all the questions. 

13 hours ago, Tag1260 said:

If it isn't leaking at the bottom and you're NOT painting the base, then all you need to do is change the group head gaskets and move on. Takes, maybe, an hour max. Only thing close to a special tool is a set of snap ring pliers that you can get pretty cheap. No need to be scared. You'll see how simple these things are when you get into it.

Here's a video of the group only rebuild.

Thanks for the Video! This is extremely informative. I'm just waiting on my machine arriving and then ill be able to see what state its in. 

10 hours ago, StevenG91 said:

Sorry I should have made myself clearer in my post, I'm currently waiting on it arriving from Italy. I just want to try and get a head start on it. I have no idea about the state of it other than from the pictures. I've been assured that it turns on fine. For safety reasons would it be wiser to completely renew the wiring and change to a UK plug with earth wire or if its not broke don't fix it as they say and just get an adapter for the plug. I have no electric experience what so ever and would have no idea where to start with any sort of rewiring (I've even watched the Orphan espresso video on wiring but alas I'm am an electrical idiot). With regards to the element, does this not need to be removed to put a new seal in? I'm assuming this machine hasn't been touched since the 70's. Sorry for all the questions. 

It could be fine or a mess which you won't know until you get it. If you don't feel comfortable taking on the electrics it might be worth getting someone like Frank at https://www.ferrari-espresso.com/ to service it for you. 

3 hours ago, Nopapercup said:

It could be fine or a mess which you won't know until you get it. If you don't feel comfortable taking on the electrics it might be worth getting someone like Frank at https://www.ferrari-espresso.com/ to service it for you. 

Well hopefully it should be here by Tuesday. I'll keep Frank in mind if I decide to get It rewired. I'll post some pictures of the machine when it arrives ?

• Like 1