Jump to content
StevenG91

Restoring Italian La Pavoni 1980ish

Recommended Posts

Okay so I was impulsive as Ive always wanted one of these machines and picked one up at a decent price on ebay. Being a complete Newby to these machines can anyone point me in the direction of instructions for complete tear down and service. My main question is that this comes with Italian mains lead and plug does anyone know how easy it will be to change over to UK with earth wire. Many Thanks 

Screenshot_20200114_124739_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20200114_124742_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Edited by StevenG91
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Nopapercup said:

This model is from the late 1970's and like most pavs, fairly straightforward to refurbish. Here's a thread of the two I did 

 

also check out Francesco's site for all info and he also supplies parts http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/index_eng.htm

Thank You, I'm a complete Newby with these and my knowledge is lacking and this will certainly be helpful. Ive just read the entire thread and don't know wether to be excited or scared haha. 

Edited by StevenG91

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, StevenG91 said:

Thank You, I'm a complete Newby with these and my knowledge is lacking and this will certainly be helpful. Ive just read the entire thread and don't know wether to be excited or scared haha. 

These where my first attempt and the only difficulty was removing the element but if yours is working and you're not painting the base then you won't need to. 

If you're changing the other wires than take a few photos first and copy when swapping. If all is working than maybe just use an adapter for the plug and just descale and change the gaskets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it isn't leaking at the bottom and you're NOT painting the base, then all you need to do is change the group head gaskets and move on. Takes, maybe, an hour max. Only thing close to a special tool is a set of snap ring pliers that you can get pretty cheap. No need to be scared. You'll see how simple these things are when you get into it.

Here's a video of the group only rebuild.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nopapercup said:

These where my first attempt and the only difficulty was removing the element but if yours is working and you're not painting the base then you won't need to. 

If you're changing the other wires than take a few photos first and copy when swapping. If all is working than maybe just use an adapter for the plug and just descale and change the gaskets. 

Sorry I should have made myself clearer in my post, I'm currently waiting on it arriving from Italy. I just want to try and get a head start on it. I have no idea about the state of it other than from the pictures. I've been assured that it turns on fine. For safety reasons would it be wiser to completely renew the wiring and change to a UK plug with earth wire or if its not broke don't fix it as they say and just get an adapter for the plug. I have no electric experience what so ever and would have no idea where to start with any sort of rewiring (I've even watched the Orphan espresso video on wiring but alas I'm am an electrical idiot). With regards to the element, does this not need to be removed to put a new seal in? I'm assuming this machine hasn't been touched since the 70's. Sorry for all the questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tag1260 said:

If it isn't leaking at the bottom and you're NOT painting the base, then all you need to do is change the group head gaskets and move on. Takes, maybe, an hour max. Only thing close to a special tool is a set of snap ring pliers that you can get pretty cheap. No need to be scared. You'll see how simple these things are when you get into it.

Here's a video of the group only rebuild.

 

Thanks for the Video! This is extremely informative. I'm just waiting on my machine arriving and then ill be able to see what state its in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, StevenG91 said:

Sorry I should have made myself clearer in my post, I'm currently waiting on it arriving from Italy. I just want to try and get a head start on it. I have no idea about the state of it other than from the pictures. I've been assured that it turns on fine. For safety reasons would it be wiser to completely renew the wiring and change to a UK plug with earth wire or if its not broke don't fix it as they say and just get an adapter for the plug. I have no electric experience what so ever and would have no idea where to start with any sort of rewiring (I've even watched the Orphan espresso video on wiring but alas I'm am an electrical idiot). With regards to the element, does this not need to be removed to put a new seal in? I'm assuming this machine hasn't been touched since the 70's. Sorry for all the questions. 

It could be fine or a mess which you won't know until you get it. If you don't feel comfortable taking on the electrics it might be worth getting someone like Frank at https://www.ferrari-espresso.com/ to service it for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nopapercup said:

It could be fine or a mess which you won't know until you get it. If you don't feel comfortable taking on the electrics it might be worth getting someone like Frank at https://www.ferrari-espresso.com/ to service it for you. 

Well hopefully it should be here by Tuesday. I'll keep Frank in mind if I decide to get It rewired. I'll post some pictures of the machine when it arrives ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2020 at 20:36, Nopapercup said:

It could be fine or a mess which you won't know until you get it. If you don't feel comfortable taking on the electrics it might be worth getting someone like Frank at https://www.ferrari-espresso.com/ to service it for you. 

Got the machine today dated 1983. Chrome is pitted, water has been leaking underneath the base. Could be In worse shape I suppose. Excuse the photos of my food haha. 

IMG_20200121_182438_compress59.jpg

IMG_20200121_182254_compress7.jpg

IMG_20200121_182458_compress63.jpg

IMG_20200121_182455_compress9.jpg

IMG_20200121_182156_compress6.jpg

IMG_20200121_182152_compress51.jpg

IMG_20200121_182206_compress58.jpg

IMG_20200121_182514_compress63.jpg

IMG_20200121_182502_compress13.jpg

IMG_20200121_182147_compress95.jpg

IMG_20200121_182529_compress71.jpg

IMG_20200121_182143_compress57.jpg

IMG_20200121_182521_compress8.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a good project.

They are very easy to take apart and put back together again.

I managed mine with standard tools.

I didn't really do much of a write up on mine as I'm not very good at documenting stuff, my advice is take lots of photos before you disconnect anything. Mine was a bit easier as my wires were colour coded.

427a566124b9e4d92609007d5ce4f7f0.jpg


Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Europiccola, Niche zero.

At work:  Aeropress, Porlex mini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, GrowlingDog said:

Looks like a good project.

They are very easy to take apart and put back together again.

I managed mine with standard tools.

I didn't really do much of a write up on mine as I'm not very good at documenting stuff, my advice is take lots of photos before you disconnect anything. Mine was a bit easier as my wires were colour coded.

427a566124b9e4d92609007d5ce4f7f0.jpg

Could I get a picture of your switch?

Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My switch is I think the same as yours, 2 separate switches. Top one switches it on, the bottom one switches from 1 element to 2 elements. The only difference is mine has a plastic cover.

0b42e4a0e5877b1f0b91fc471503e705.jpg


Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Europiccola, Niche zero.

At work:  Aeropress, Porlex mini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, GrowlingDog said:

Looks like a good project.

They are very easy to take apart and put back together again.

I managed mine with standard tools.

I didn't really do much of a write up on mine as I'm not very good at documenting stuff, my advice is take lots of photos before you disconnect anything. Mine was a bit easier as my wires were colour coded.

427a566124b9e4d92609007d5ce4f7f0.jpg

Thanks, I'm debating wether to do it myself or get it serviced and rewired by a pro. Its got an Italian mains cable and the interval wiring was soaking. I believe I could do everything else myself but I have no electrical knowledge and don't want to botch the electrics so I'm in two minds about what to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be inclined to get the wiring done by a pro.   You could do the rest and then just send it off to get the wiring sorted.

Getting the electrics wrong and mixing it with a metal machine and water seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by GrowlingDog
Spelling correction

Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Europiccola, Niche zero.

At work:  Aeropress, Porlex mini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GrowlingDog said:

I would be inclined to get the wiring done by a pro.   You could do the rest and then just send it off to get the wiring sorted.

Getting the electrics wrong and mixing it with a metal machine and water seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

My thoughts exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mines currently in bits as it tripped the electrics 10 days ago & not being able to see what was wrong I had my electrician look at it last night after he fitted new lights for us. Turns out the mains cable was burnt out & I'll get him.to fit the new one. 

Gaskets etc are easy to fit but electrics are best left to the experts.


A machine, a grinder & some beans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jacko112 said:

Mines currently in bits as it tripped the electrics 10 days ago & not being able to see what was wrong I had my electrician look at it last night after he fitted new lights for us. Turns out the mains cable was burnt out & I'll get him.to fit the new one. 

Gaskets etc are easy to fit but electrics are best left to the experts.

That's exactly my thoughts. I've emailed Frank at Ferrari espresso for a quote for fixing electrics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your local electrician should be able to do it.  


A machine, a grinder & some beans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jacko112 said:

Your local electrician should be able to do it.  

Yes, I agree with that.  There is nothing complicated about these for an electrician.  It’s two switches and two elements.  
 

worth asking a local appliance repair person as it will probably be much cheaper.


Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Europiccola, Niche zero.

At work:  Aeropress, Porlex mini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GrowlingDog said:

Yes, I agree with that.  There is nothing complicated about these for an electrician.  It’s two switches and two elements.  
 

worth asking a local appliance repair person as it will probably be much cheaper.

I'll definitely consider doing that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The machine looks really good as it's probably totally original. For peace of mind get the electrics done by a professional. Frank at Ferrari is very reasonable but each time you post it there's a risk of damage. 

These guys I think are based in Scotland https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk otherwise as the others have suggested ask a local sparky. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dealings with theespressoshop have been really positive.

I’ve only used them for parts but they were really helpful when I couldn’t work out which bits I wanted for my machine.

They sent me all the correct size bits really quickly.

With help from this forum and a bit of work and polishing you will end up with something wonderful.   I still just want to look at mine and not get it dirty now it’s finished.  It’s worth the effort.

Looking forward to seeing yours when it’s finished, can’t beat a shiny La Pavoni, even my wife likes mine now.

 

 

92F36290-8655-4A27-9A7B-EBC871EB6050.jpeg

  • Like 4

Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Europiccola, Niche zero.

At work:  Aeropress, Porlex mini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use.

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

    Donate / Sponsor

    Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png

×
×
  • Create New...