ratty

Centre punch mark location, for 40mm hole for gauge

Hi,

I will be cutting the 40mm hole in the next few days on the Classic and I'm keen to find an accurate location for the centre of the hole. I've read it's best to locate it accurately, else connections from the gauge can foul on other components inside the machine.

Does anyone have measurements to locate the centre of the hole?

Also which gauge is favourite to use, or are they all similar and will last the same length of time without failing?

Thanks.

I’d search for other people who have done the pressure gauge mod and ask them. I’ve seen several people who’ve done it recently. There was one post I saw recently where someone had done it and they did specifically say they got lucky as if they’d gone 1mm a certain way it wouldn’t have fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThePeginator said:

I’d search for other people who have done the pressure gauge mod and ask them. I’ve seen several people who’ve done it recently. There was one post I saw recently where someone had done it and they did specifically say they got lucky as if they’d gone 1mm a certain way it wouldn’t have fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I had read that too!

I decided to order the gauge from Shockwaves off Ebay as it has all the connections required. Probably a bit steep at £26.99 but a convenience buy as I no longer have access to fittings, being out of the field of engineering at present!

I can test positioning on my 2005 machine that has the PID fitted by offering it up inside the machine to check for suitability and then transfer the measured position to the outside face of the machine panel.

Hopefully both machine cases will be identical sizes, as the gauge will be fitted along with the PID to the 2004 machine!

I wrote a build log that may be helpful last year

In particular this photo with the location of the center hole. It is in line with the line that separates the words Classic and GAGGIA. Do not go any lower than this!!!

spacer.png

• Like 1

Great, thanks for that.

I'll definitely go at least 5mm higher than that!

8 minutes ago, Michael87 said:

I wrote a build log that may be helpful last year

In particular this photo with the location of the center hole. It is in line with the line that separates the words Classic and GAGGIA. Do not go any lower than this!!!

spacer.png

No measurements but I just did mine a couple weeks ago. FWIW you do not need to remove the boiler to drill the hole.

IMG_4966.jpg

Edited by Rebel
  • Like 1

Good job, looks quite a bit higher than michael87's gauge.

I already have the boiler out of the 2004 that I am going to drill, taken out for inspection purposes. I think it will be easier to fully clean with an empty case, before reassembly after drilling.

Thanks for all your help people. 😁

Great!

The only other advice I can give us to use PTFE or tighten the nuts properly. Speaking from experience, 9 bar of water pressure is a lot of water pressure. 

Drilled the 10mm hole. Probably set between the two examples shown!

I only had ordinary HSS drill bits and made do with them!

Drilled a 3mm pilot, took me a few goes and a few rests. Used water to cool down the drill bit.

I got the 10mm drill bit started but it kept spinning in my cheapo cordless drill.

Managed to get about half way through, and guess then that the material work hardened!

Used an Aldi copy of a dremel to expand the original 3mm pilot hole, then managed to get an 8mm drill bit through. A bit more dremmeling and finally got through with the 10mm drill bit!

Waiting on the 40mm Q-Max hole cutter to arrive, hopefully tomorrow or Saturday.

Shockwaves supplier's on the ball as usual. Gauge arrived this morning, ordered same time as hole punch!

On 15/01/2020 at 12:59, Michael87 said:

Great!

The only other advice I can give us to use PTFE or tighten the nuts properly. Speaking from experience, 9 bar of water pressure is a lot of water pressure. 

I'm no expert (and I've never had a Classic) but personally I'd suggest:

"...use PTFE AND tighten the nuts properly...."

• Haha 1

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

For stainless steel, go as slow as the drill will allow. Use light oil instead of water. Allow to cool off frequently. It takes a LONG time for that big hole.

• Haha 1