Ensoluna SA

Does fairtrade coffee "taste" better? this is what "Google" says...

So many people that I know completely rely on what "google" says..
this is what the google answer was ..

Fair-trade, organic coffee is better for your health and tastes better. As the demand for global coffee increases, methods of mass-producing coffee lead to lower-quality produce. ... It is also grown without chemical fertilizers and pesticides, allowing the coffee to keep all of its nutrients.

What do you think of this statement?

Specialty Coffees from Deep Deep Deep in Guatemala Mountains.

ensoluna.com - facebook.com/ensolunausa

Total nonsense.

I actually thought the opposite: fairtrade coffee guarantees the minimum market price for the crop and has no relation to quality at all. So logically the opposite because why would you want the minimum market price (presumably commodity)if you're producing speciality coffee? Maybe my understanding is plain wrong. I always thought fairtrade forced farmers into having a farm of a limited size, with limited harvesting methods, with limitations on the number of staff the can employ with even rules based on where those staff have come from (local vs transient) and when they can be hired. Like I said though maybe I'm wrong.  

• Like 1

ACS Minima (Beta) -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

The other problem is parts of this are obviously referring to the organic part, which reference's agriculture practices and has nothing to do with the fair trade part. Whether organic food/coffee taste better or is better for you is also up for interpretation.

Niche Zero -- Sage DTP

1 hour ago, Ensoluna SA said:

So many people that I know completely rely on what "google" says..
this is what the google answer was ..

Fair-trade, organic coffee is better for your health and tastes better. As the demand for global coffee increases, methods of mass-producing coffee lead to lower-quality produce. ... It is also grown without chemical fertilizers and pesticides, allowing the coffee to keep all of its nutrients.

What do you think of this statement?

I think this statement is very misleading and written by someone ho either knows very little or has a vested interest in providing disinformation. and marketing.

• Like 1

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

24 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

I think this statement is very misleading and written by someone ho either knows very little or has a vested interest in providing disinformation. and marketing.

Bloody hell Boris has infiltrated another thread!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AKA Toffee chips

Maybe this is a "better" read. Top of the list on google uk

https://www.fairtrade.org.uk/Media-Centre/News/April-2015/FAIRTRADE-COFFEE-LEAVES-A-BETTER-TASTE

:) Leaves me wondering why my beans cost more - in a more obvious way in some cases.

John

-

• Thanks 1

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

20 hours ago, ajohn said:

Maybe this is a "better" read. Top of the list on google uk

https://www.fairtrade.org.uk/Media-Centre/News/April-2015/FAIRTRADE-COFFEE-LEAVES-A-BETTER-TASTE

:) Leaves me wondering why my beans cost more - in a more obvious way in some cases.

John

-

hi John. just wondering normally the fairtrade bean costs how much more or how much more percentage than normal beans at the same quality?

23 hours ago, dfk41 said:

I think you know a bunch of idiots.......

Yep! I also think so.  Just curious how "google" can come up with this type of totally incorrect answers...

21 hours ago, Uriel4953 said:

The other problem is parts of this are obviously referring to the organic part, which reference's agriculture practices and has nothing to do with the fair trade part. Whether organic food/coffee taste better or is better for you is also up for interpretation.

thanks for reply.  I highly doubt that any cuppers (even the great ones) can tell the difference in taste between organic coffee and non-organic ones...

As I know, most of farms that can not be able to produce better commercial beans (81 to 84 SCAA), they can be easily persuaded to do their farming "Organic" & "fairtrade", but in most cases, it is very harmful to the farmers, specially low-income / low-quantity producing family farms.

Also, when we look at high grade, specialty beans such as Gesha, Pacamara, Bourbon, Maragogype...etc with 86 and up, you will never be able to find any beans with fairtrade or organic certificate.

I think it's written by the same sort of people that write "Organic vegetables taste better than non-organic ones", when blind taste tests can disprove it. Same with artisan = better than mass produced (not necessarily coffee). The beauty of mass production is consistency, and often to an outcome that's been found to be acceptable to majority of the market, whereas artisan, and trading fairly with small-scale producers (of coffee etc) can mean a product that's a much smaller market but more suited to that market, whether that market is based on quality or just ethical grounds (no pun).

2 hours ago, Ensoluna SA said:

Yep! I also think so.  Just curious how "google" can come up with this type of totally incorrect answers...

I’m not sure you know how google works. To put it simply, if you are looking for information then never take the first page as fact, a lot of those result are there because they know how to play the system or have paid to be there.

8 hours ago, Ensoluna SA said:

hi John. just wondering normally the fairtrade bean costs how much more or how much more percentage than normal beans at the same quality?

I realise that fair trade beans will cost more but I sometimes feel that roasters up prices more than they should lining their pockets rather than just the farmers. I have certainly seen that in other fair trade products. I don't have any problem with the farmers getting a fairer share but past that I object as in some respects final price will influence sales when there is competition.

The whole bean area is a little twisted as well - a regional origin bean may vary taste wise due to the particular part of the area that they came from.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg