NewboyUK

How to - penny spacer

Evening all

Just wondering what this penny on the tamped coffee is about to tell if the right amount is in the basket? 

Surely this doesnt work on every coffee? I have always done it so when you put the pf in amd out of a dry group - you see the imprint of the screw holding the shower plate in. Too much? 

Yes.

ACS Minima (Beta) -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

If you use a penny (or 5p) and ensure that it leaves an impression but not fully depressed you can visibly see how much headroom you’ve got. Will be about 1 mm as the depth of the coin is 1.65mm. 18g of a light roasted coffee will occupy less volume than 18g of a medium roast so the penny method will mean you fill the basket to the same height regardless of coffee roast. I do this every time I change to a different coffee to help with consistency 

Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Ponte Vecchio Lusso  Grinders : EK43 & Titus alignment tool, Compak E10, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind, Feld 47

https://www.kaffeeculture.co.uk

Cheers for the replies 

I suppose the other question would be - what difference would it make if i started to do this? 

If it makes it taste different - how and what taste woukd come through more? Ie does it really matter? 

The coffee puck expands as it becomes wet, the coffee needs room to expand as this happens.  

The grinds expand when water goes in so overloading the filter basket results in a coarser grind being used for some grams in to grams of shot out ratio. That changes taste. In some respects it relates to how much expansion space is limited. A little may be ok, little means a few 1/10g too much.

I suspect many people get channelling when there is zero or not enough space. Water is unlikely to go into a puck dead evenly so more gets through in some places than others. Grinds expand and the pressure in the puck builds and that encourages water to only flow in a limited number of places. The edge is common but channels can crop up anywhere. ;) This fits in with my early experience of channelling anyway. I didn't go and buy an oversized tamper but channelling stopped.

Conversely a lower fill height needs a finer grind for some specific ratio. Eventually as that is reduced the used puck starts getting rather wet maybe soggy. At some point that can result in crap coffee / a taste the bean shouldn't have. Same with overfilling really.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg