Cooffe

[WANTED] Arrarex Caravel v3.2 Tamper

Does anyone here have a v3.2 Caravel tamper going spare? I know theres a bloke in Australia that sells them but just wondering if there was any floating around on here before I front up shipping etc.

Cheers!

Did you get the orange one ?

AKA Toffee chips

2 minutes ago, coffeechap said:

Did you get the orange one ?

Yeah I did. Paintwork looks a bit shabby but have been interested in owning one as well as a la pepina, also would love a faema baby faemina but they are so few and far between.

What did you make of it if you saw the listing?

It looks like one that has been put together. By that, I mean all the parts look fine apart from the body which is odd. The cable has been replaced which is good. When you get it you will see just how easy it is to work on as it takes 10 seconds to separate it all. Some spares are readily available but some are difficult. Francesco's site is a mine of info. brooks Espresso in Holland sell some newly produced very expensive spares. All in all they are a pleasure to own and easy to use. Just stick a temp probe into the open boiler. When it reached 95 or so, turn it off and pull your shot, remembering it only produces ristretto style drinks. The Australian tamper is fine, I have had a couple. Alternately, maybe one of the more skilled members can turn a larger tamper down for you?

Enjoy

7 hours ago, dfk41 said:

It looks like one that has been put together. By that, I mean all the parts look fine apart from the body which is odd. The cable has been replaced which is good. When you get it you will see just how easy it is to work on as it takes 10 seconds to separate it all. Some spares are readily available but some are difficult. Francesco's site is a mine of info. brooks Espresso in Holland sell some newly produced very expensive spares. All in all they are a pleasure to own and easy to use. Just stick a temp probe into the open boiler. When it reached 95 or so, turn it off and pull your shot, remembering it only produces ristretto style drinks. The Australian tamper is fine, I have had a couple. Alternately, maybe one of the more skilled members can turn a larger tamper down for you?

Enjoy

Cheers mate, appreciate your thoughts. I'll have a look at the body as it looks like there was some bubbling, but I gather that its an aluminium body so shouldn't be due to rust. I had read a bit of Francesco's site and you're right - it is a gold mine for info on these. Have you had any experience PIDing one of these? I know it's possible and apparently fairly easy. Given you've owned a few - is there anything else to look out for? I'll check the seals when I get it. Apparently the person selling found a v1.0 VAM with the lever on the lid in a flea market in Rome which is why they're selling.

In the end I pulled the trigger on the Australian tamper for £31 shipped it's not too bad.

Cheers.

The tampers from Oz are fine if not glamorous! The seal kits are available quickly from Francesco. I think folks have pidded them. There is a very heath robinson thermostat on them. I have never gone down that route as the machine is what it is and you can achieve the same result b sticking a probe into the boiler. They are simple little things and the skills lie firmly with the owner! I think from memory, I used to let it warm through thoroughly, then prepare the shot and hold the lever up allowing water in for 15 to 20 seconds, then bring it down. Once you hit biting point then a slow even pressure. I think you will need to grind quite fine as well......enjoy!

• Like 1

Fair enough, I'll definitely give it a go with just the temp. probe before committing myself to messing about with PIDing it. I read that about 12g of coffee is the go-to for the fill on the basket on these. Cheers for the tips, I know a lot of people try the fellini technique on these as well, so might give that a go too... will be interesting to see how the coffee comes out.

All depends on which basket it comes with it. They vary!

Ah... I think this is the 12g one but will double check. I heard that a PV basket will also fit into it and hold more coffee?

I bought one of the Oz ones - took ages to arrive, and when it did the base and handle threads were two different sizes and the thing had been glued together with Evostick (or that's what it smelled like).  I managed to fix it properly, but it took a while.

Whilst I was waiting for my Oz tamper, I designed and 3D printed one in solid plastic - which did the job well - and I still use today.  Happy to supply the STL or even print one for you for a small fee if you couldn't get it made locally.

...oh, yes, and I've obviously PID'd mine as well - in a totally non-invasive way, with an external power box that you plug the Caravel into, and then just insert a stainless steel temperature probe in the kettle (with adjustable height, so it's in the water and not just touching the bottom). Works well - but somehow, the simple and basic functionality of the standard bimetallic leafswitch (you could calll it a thermostat I guess!) just seems more elegant and in-keeping.

Edited by MrShades
  • Like 2

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

On 14/01/2020 at 17:34, MrShades said:

I bought one of the Oz ones - took ages to arrive, and when it did the base and handle threads were two different sizes and the thing had been glued together with Evostick (or that's what it smelled like).  I managed to fix it properly, but it took a while.

Whilst I was waiting for my Oz tamper, I designed and 3D printed one in solid plastic - which did the job well - and I still use today.  Happy to supply the STL or even print one for you for a small fee if you couldn't get it made locally.

...oh, yes, and I've obviously PID'd mine as well - in a totally non-invasive way, with an external power box that you plug the Caravel into, and then just insert a stainless steel temperature probe in the kettle (with adjustable height, so it's in the water and not just touching the bottom). Works well - but somehow, the simple and basic functionality of the standard bimetallic leafswitch (you could calll it a thermostat I guess!) just seems more elegant and in-keeping.

Ah ok that's good to know. I've just had confirmation that mine is being shipped now... Will report back. Can you send me the stl file please? Might see if work can print it for me... 

Regarding the PID, I'd expect nothing more from you tbh... Haha. How do you manage to pack 12g or so in the basket? Do you have a funnel of sorts? Also how do you get nice thick syrupy shots? Mine are all coming out with little body.

Thick syrupy......might be the bean itself. Failing that, grind fine, tamp hard, preinfuse for 20 to 30 seconds, try not to Fellini.....then adjust your parameters if the resulting shot is no good........you must heat the machine and group through thoroughly as well........basically just try different things and enjoy  mastering it!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dfk41 said:

Thick syrupy......might be the bean itself. Failing that, grind fine, tamp hard, preinfuse for 20 to 30 seconds, try not to Fellini.....then adjust your parameters if the resulting shot is no good........you must heat the machine and group through thoroughly as well........basically just try different things and enjoy  mastering it!

Yeah the beans are getting old in fairness. Good enough for the Pavoni but maybe not quite enough for the caravel. Might crack some out - froze them at 4 days post roast so should be good to go. I left it to cycle a few times, so it ended up being on for 20-25 mins before using, and then also flushed the group twice to get the piston and group warm. I found 97 degrees in the tank is actually about 4 degrees less in the cup (using a cheap digital thermometer).

Cheers for the advice... On a quest for the best ristretto this side of Milan! Also... Here's a picture of it in case you were wondering. Might sand it down and get it to a paint shop and respray it back in its original colour...

IMG_20200116_203035_311.jpg

Just now, dfk41 said:

I fancy one again now!

Get your hand in your pocket then lad... Plenty on Italian eBay and they're becoming collector's items I recon. Especially as more and more get broken down for parts...

32 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Get your hand in your pocket then lad... Plenty on Italian eBay and they're becoming collector's items I recon. Especially as more and more get broken down for parts...

I spent a few minutes thinking about it, looking trough old photos and I reckon I have had 9 so far! I have had a few other little levers as well but the Caravel is the best of them all. I will keep my eyes peeled once again and see what turns up!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dfk41 said:

I spent a few minutes thinking about it, looking trough old photos and I reckon I have had 9 so far! I have had a few other little levers as well but the Caravel is the best of them all. I will keep my eyes peeled once again and see what turns up!

Haha. If you find an early VAM... Let me know unless you take it ? Next goal is one with the hole in the piston I think, the v1.1 I think? Don't want the original as they seem to be hard to change the o-rings on.

After reading through this, I think I need to go and fire mine up and have a play...

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

• About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use.

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

Donate / Sponsor

Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

image.png