Dr Forinor

Coffee Compass 'issues'

I'm due to make an order for some coffee soon, and I was planning on trying Coffee Compass .

Last time I ordered from them was over a year ago and I was happy.

Recently I have been reading here that some people have been having issues with their coffee? Is this still the case, or is everything "back to normal"?

Home 1 -- Melitta Varianza CSP

Home 2 -- Lido 3 & 2012 Gaggia Classic (modded)

Portable -- Porlex mini (modded) & Aeropress

not sure what you are referring to?

recent threads all seem positive and people recommending frequently.

my own experience has been positive - i received a 8 pack selection recently (first order with them) very quick, roasted on one day, posted and received the next.

Perhaps I am thinking of some slightly older reference, where their coffee seemed to be inconsistent?

My bad if that's not an issue any more.

Edited by Dr Forinor

sorry, can't help with that personally.  will let others with more experience offer opinions.

I think there was some issue last summer related to exceptionally warm weather or something. There's no issues at the moment that I'm aware of.

Their delivery is so quick! Ordered the Sweet Bourbon blend the 9th, roasted on the 10th, delivered to me on the 11th, chilled on Sunday. Haven't tried yet, beans are still resting.

The only other issue I'm aware of is when the current mystery bag first came out, they weren't happy with the profile so sent out replacement bags.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Ok, I'm obviously way out of date, some may say stale ?

Apologies all.

I recently ordered from them and received my order within 2 days, roasted the day previous to receiving (ie date of postage) and very happy with their service.

I've never ever been let down in any way by Coffee Compass. Excellent Company - coffee - service.

Very consistant with all beans I've ever had from them over the years

Ron 

This must have been a fairly isolated incident that stood out in my head for some reason then.

This must have been a fairly isolated incident that stood out in my head for some reason then.
It was me that mentioned the sweet bourbon wasn't as nice on my (new to me) Alex Duetto compared to my old PID Gaggia Classic and I queried if the roast was not as good, interestingly one or two others chimed in and felt the weather might have had an effect.

I've not tried the sweet bourbon again as we hit up the Mahogany Malabar roast lately.

I've not tried anyone else to compare (on the subscription 1.5kg coffee delivered comes in at 25 shiney liney pounds) but their service is awesome. I always use it fresh and don't rest the beans

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Ah that's what it was, thank you for replying.

• Like 1

Follow up on this, maybe it's nothing though.

I finished yesterday the 500gr of the excellent Malabar, and after carefully defrosting the Sweet Bourbon, started putting it through its paces, dialing it in.

The roast date on the Malabar was the 11th, and for the Bourbon the 13th, hence the bourbon spending 4 days doublebaged in the freezer.

The problem I've been having is that, no matter the grind setting I choose, no matter the basket make or size, no matter the preparation (wdt, rdt, just dump in and compress), this batch is either bitter or when I go the other direction, watery and flavorless.

I have tried with 150gr worth of coffee, making shots with anywhere between 17 and 18.5 in basket, and 1:1 to 1:3 yields, and between 15 and 40sec pulls.

There is either something wrong with this batch, or my SJ is dying..., yet all of the Malabar was flawless, took me 2 shots to dial it in.

If anyone has similar roast date for their Sweet Bourbon, can you please let me know if it's just me having issues?

Edited by ArisP

Not from this date, however had some roasted a few weeks prior which was fine through the niche, lovely body and taste at 1:2 ratio at about 36 secs (including 7 secs preinfusion)

• Like 1

Sage DB - Niche - Torr 58.55 sharp edge - Osmio Zero 

34 minutes ago, truegrace said:

Not from this date, however had some roasted a few weeks prior which was fine through the niche, lovely body and taste at 1:2 ratio at about 36 secs (including 7 secs preinfusion)

Thanks mate, same for me, had a bag a few weeks ago which was awesome, and the reason I ordered again. This one however...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ArisP said:

Follow up on this, maybe it's nothing though.

I finished yesterday the 500gr of the excellent Malabar, and after carefully defrosting the Sweet Bourbon, started putting it through its paces, dialing it in.

The roast date on the Malabar was the 11th, and for the Bourbon the 13th, hence the bourbon spending 4 days doublebaged in the freezer.

The problem I've been having is that, no matter the grind setting I choose, no matter the basket make or size, no matter the preparation (wdt, rdt, just dump in and compress), this batch is either bitter or when I go the other direction, watery and flavorless.

I have tried with 150gr worth of coffee, making shots with anywhere between 17 and 18.5 in basket, and 1:1 to 1:3 yields, and between 15 and 40sec pulls.

There is either something wrong with this batch, or my SJ is dying..., yet all of the Malabar was flawless, took me 2 shots to dial it in.

If anyone has similar roast date for their Sweet Bourbon, can you please let me know if it's just me having issues?

500g of Bourbon roasted on the 10th. All good here.

• Like 1

Thanks mate, same for me, had a bag a few weeks ago which was awesome, and the reason I ordered again. This one however...
This is what I experienced. So glad it's not just me - on my classic with unpressurised basket it was awesome pretty much every batch. On my Alex, rough.

I wonder if they've had to source a new supplier for the raw beans or something?

• Like 1

Interestingly I always seem to get a LOAD of crema from all the CC blends i have dabled with. No idea why....

7 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Interestingly I always seem to get a LOAD of crema from all the CC blends i have dabled with. No idea why....

Perhaps, but crema means absolutely nothing. You could just be seeing CO2 bubbles.

6 hours ago, ArisP said:

Have you considered that the act of freezing may have an impact on the issues you are experiencing (it may not but equally you may have introduced a variable ), just a thought.

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 105Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

1 minute ago, johnealey said:

Have you considered that the act of freezing may have an impact on the issues you are experiencing (it may not but equally you may have introduced a variable ), just a thought.

John

Hey John,

Yes, very good point. I do not consider it as a variable, as I froze the previous batch too, and that one behaved great. Now could there have been another micro-variable, maybe a tear in the external freezer bag or something like that....maybe.

I am also considering that I went from a mix of Volvic + Ashbeck at 50:50 ratio, to 100% Ashbeck, so that might also influencing the flavor.

Clearly I don't run a lab, so like I said before, it could just be me, hence asking for other people's experiences.

Hey John,
Yes, very good point. I do not consider it as a variable, as I froze the previous batch too, and that one behaved great. Now could there have been another micro-variable, maybe a tear in the external freezer bag or something like that....maybe.
I am also considering that I went from a mix of Volvic + Ashbeck at 50:50 ratio, to 100% Ashbeck, so that might also influencing the flavor.
Clearly I don't run a lab, so like I said before, it could just be me, hence asking for other people's experiences.
Interestingly I never used Ashbeck in my Classic (Bristol tap!) yet I do in the Alex.

I wonder if the water is not good for the coffee?

46 minutes ago, brokentechie said:

Interestingly I never used Ashbeck in my Classic (Bristol tap!) yet I do in the Alex.

I wonder if the water is not good for the coffee?

It could be, I'll test tomorrow with Volvic and see if that is the cause. I find that I seem to be quite sensitive to water flavor, perhaps because I didn't grow up here.

On 21/01/2020 at 15:58, ArisP said:

I had a batch recently and as I was using the Gusto Gold first, I double bagged and froze the Sweet Bourbon.  The Gusto was excellent, easy to dial in and gave me a 1:2 in 28 seconds with great crema and a nice rounded rich flavour.  The Sweet Bourbon on the other hand was difficult to dial in and seems bitter no-matter the grind setting.  I started using the same grind setting on my Mazzer SJ (4.3) as for the Gusto.  It shot out in 11 seconds and had a bitter after taste.  I increased the grind two notches and it came out 32 secs quite bitter with black streaks in the crema.  I then set it in between and whilst it gave a double shot in 28 or 29 seconds, the black streaks had gone but it is still a bit bitter.  I had defrosted by emptying the beans into my beansaver tin and leaving in a cool space overnight.  I've probably wasted 80 or 90gr of beans trying to get it dialled in but probably won't order this one again.  The Gusto was much better imho.  I don't know if freezing the beans should cause these issues?