M5Sime

Pro 600 vs options (inc Hx)

Dear experts.. After weeks of reviewing online and one discussion on the phone with the Bella Barista team (subject to a visit soon to finalise).. I am getting closer to a Pro 600 as my choice.. The suggestion from BB was a ECM Mechanika Slim for my budget and bias towards milk based drinks.. I seem to be struggling to find the logic in a Hx machine - especially one that is not plumbed-in (which is likely what I will do). All the cooling flushes (guess work), then filling and emptying tanks and trays because of the 'design' of the machine does seem odd.. Perhaps this is perfectly acceptable - but is making me think the best choice is to stretch to a DB and zero compromises (especially also for my wife to be able to use the machine)..

The Profitec's seem to be nicely made and look good.. I doubt I will ever have interest in profiling, and could always add the flow control to the group head later if I wanted..

Any comments, suggestions or things to really consider (non Grinder related)?

Best, Simon

Dear experts.. After weeks of reviewing online and one discussion on the phone with the Bella Barista team (subject to a visit soon to finalise).. I am getting closer to a Pro 600 as my choice.. The suggestion from BB was a ECM Mechanika Slim for my budget and bias towards milk based drinks.. I seem to be struggling to find the logic in a Hx machine - especially one that is not plumbed-in (which is likely what I will do). All the cooling flushes (guess work), then filling and emptying tanks and trays because of the 'design' of the machine does seem odd.. Perhaps this is perfectly acceptable - but is making me think the best choice is to stretch to a DB and zero compromises (especially also for my wife to be able to use the machine)..
The Profitec's seem to be nicely made and look good.. I doubt I will ever have interest in profiling, and could always add the flow control to the group head later if I wanted..
Best, Simon

The advantage of an HX is simplicity. One service boiler, and the water for the brew comes in fresh from the tank or from the mains if plumbed in. They can work well in a commercial environment where staff are constant pulling shots.

On a DB, is as if you have two machines in one (a steamer and a coffee machine).

The common consensus here is that Dual Boilers are better and more stable and consistent for the home environment. Speaking from experience, I have upgraded from an HX to a Dual Boiler in a matter of months, for the reasons you cited above.

Descaling of a dual boiler is difficult and should be avoided by using appropriate water in the first place.
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MediumRoastSteam said:

Descaling of a dual boiler is difficult and should be avoided by using appropriate water in the first place.

Noted - thank you!

Noted - thank you!

Likewise, you should take the same precautions on any espresso machine! You want to avoid descaling at all costs!
  • Like 1

On 13/01/2020 at 07:59, M5Sime said:

Best, Simon

The Pro 600 does not not support a plumbed in installation, it is tank supply only. You will need to look at the Pro 700 if you want to go this route. Otherwise the Pro 600 gets a big thumbs up from me. It's an excellent machine though I do agree with you that a plumbed in option would eliminate the chore of constantly topping up the tank.

• Like 1

I've also switched from a HX (Rocket Appartamento) to a Dual Boiler (Synchronika) for the same reasons (cooling flushes, water wasting and lack of exact temperature control).

Going back, i would never have bought the HX and would have gone straight to a Dual Boiler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mikas said:

I've also switched from a HX (Rocket Appartamento) to a Dual Boiler (Synchronika) for the same reasons (cooling flushes, water wasting and lack of exact temperature control).

Going back, i would never have bought the HX and would have gone straight to a Dual Boiler.

Thanks Mike! Perfect timing for the validation as I’m just leaving Bella Barista after amazing service. Pro 600 and a Mignon Specialita 

59A0FB5F-B6DF-482E-B7C0-F69D3354E24B.jpeg

• Like 2