Rickv

Coffee for guests

Has any one ever had a guest turn the nose up to your coffee? My dad looked like he just sucked a lemon after sipping an espresso I made him.

So a little back story about him first. He’s Italian and used to run a deli here in England and served at the time great coffee from what I remember for years when I was a kid. Bear in mind this is pre Starbucks era. The coffee beans were a lazzaza coffee in a blue bag for commercial use. No roast dates just standard Italian espresso beans. Since he shut up the deli about a good 15+ years ago I’ve rarely found a good espresso here and we’ve both used nespresso for a few years. Which leads me to tonight and his first espresso at my house since I’ve started into coffee. I freshly grind some single origin Kenyan beans from craft house, pull a good looking shot, bang sour face from dad with a few choice words. I try the shot, tastes fine to me. Good body, not huge amounts of mouth feel, very little acidity all round nice tasting shot. He then put sugar in and still whinged. Mum tried, screwed up face. She thinks it tastes of liquorice. Which too be fair is one of the tasting notes but damned if I can taste it.

Have I just got used to my coffee? Is he just used to dark roasts and poor coffee? Taste is subjective I know but what do I do in future, keep a bag of lavazza on hand for guests? He’s flat out refused to drink another one of my coffees as it stands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Grab a tin of cheap instant for the next visit, that’ll teach them ?

• Like 3

Has any one ever had a guest turn the nose up to your coffee? My dad looked like he just sucked a lemon after sipping an espresso I made him.

So a little back story about him first. He’s Italian and used to run a deli here in England and served at the time great coffee from what I remember for years when I was a kid. Bear in mind this is pre Starbucks era. The coffee beans were a lazzaza coffee in a blue bag for commercial use. No roast dates just standard Italian espresso beans. Since he shut up the deli about a good 15+ years ago I’ve rarely found a good espresso here and we’ve both used nespresso for a few years. Which leads me to tonight and his first espresso at my house since I’ve started into coffee. I freshly grind some single origin Kenyan beans from craft house, pull a good looking shot, bang sour face from dad with a few choice words. I try the shot, tastes fine to me. Good body, not huge amounts of mouth feel, very little acidity all round nice tasting shot. He then put sugar in and still whinged. Mum tried, screwed up face. She thinks it tastes of liquorice. Which too be fair is one of the tasting notes but damned if I can taste it.

Have I just got used to my coffee? Is he just used to dark roasts and poor coffee? Taste is subjective I know but what do I do in future, keep a bag of lavazza on hand for guests? He’s flat out refused to drink another one of my coffees as it stands

I love coffee. Espresso especially, and my take is that every Italian espresso I've ever had tastes like @ss.

I went to Rome in 2017 and honestly I was shocked at how many places used a pod machine rather than an espresso machine.

Two places did and the coffee was rank, bitter even with sugar. Most I think use pretty average beans, and I think purists drink espresso to stay awake and chug it down quickly rather than how we enjoy it these days.

I'm guessing also Kenyan beans are not likely to appease the Italian palate!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

we have guests over very often, therefore have settled to keep a winsome bean in MXD hopper at all times. If I want to experiment with funkier stuff, I'm in the lucky position to use another (better, simgle dose) grinder...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hasi said:

we have guests over very often, therefore have settled to keep a winsome bean in MXD hopper at all times. If I want to experiment with funkier stuff, I'm in the lucky position to use another (better, simgle dose) grinder...

I only have the one grinder, this is my excuse for never having people over to visit ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I do think some of it is taste. I love a dark chocolate bitter espresso and find lighter roasts sour and unpalatable. I even like my Arabica/Robusta (albeit only 1/8 R). I also like it heavy and probably what most would deem over-extracted. 
I like a lighter roasted Kenyan coffee through milk, but give it me as an espresso and I’d probably screw my face up! 
I did ‘my’ espresso for a friend who just said it tasted of tobacco! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TomHughes said:

I also like it heavy and probably what most would deem over-extracted. 

I doubt what you are describing is over-extracted, it's pretty hard to do with recently roasted coffee, but when it happens it is fairly foul, like smoky ashtray, very drying?

The easiest way to over-extract is to pull too long, then the body is less heavy.

Thick & gloopy shots that taste good are usually low to normal extractions.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Thanks guys. Hmm I’ll try to have something darker when he’s round next. Maybe a bit too adventurous for him. Pods though in Italy, shocking.

• Like 1

There's a good video form James Hoffman explaining Italian espresso and at least partially answering your question (I think).

I had an Italian colleague at my previous job who was persistently dissatisfied with how the coffee has tasted at work (we had a La Marzocco GS3 and had a Ozone subscription for the beans). He was passionately comparing it (with a lot of hand gestures of course) to how his Kimbo tasted back in Napoli. "Itis dark and rich, not dis flower nonsense!". He'd buy a bag of pre-ground Lavazza and pull some reaaally watery espresso every morning and then hide it somewhere in the fridge. It was his little ritual. Nothing would change his mind. Lovely guy apart from that  :D

Edited by Zeak
PS

Presso: Gaggia Classic OG (OPV mod / Rancilio wand) + Iberital MC2

Brew: V60/Aeropress/Moka Pot + Rhino

I remember my first Kenyan - I was all over the forums complaining that my kit was crap, can only make sour shots that tasted unlike coffee etc.

Thankfully the regulars educated me.

• Like 1

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

I used up a kilo bag of Kimbo on guests. They lapped it up ? In fact some comments were along the lines of 'I don't know why you don't just buy this all the time and be done with it'.

• Like 1

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Haha kimbo it is then for the guests.