dfk41

Should Big Ben chime to celebrate leaving?

If the infrastructure has already been put back then why not? Otherwise, they may as well save some money & play a recording through loud speakers up there.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

The argument seems to be cost......where they pluck £100,000 from to make it chime I do not know. Farage and pals are throwing a big bash party. I and another nameless forum member are meeting up for a big night out.........people all over the land will be celebrating. What is wrong with that? For a long time now, us Brexiteers have been made to feel like lepers for daring to think the way we do.....the sweet taste of success is in the air......

• Like 1

I feel it's in bad taste to celebrate something 47% of the country was against, but each to their own.

Niche Zero -- Sage DTP

1 minute ago, Uriel4953 said:

I feel it's in bad taste to celebrate something 47% of the country was against, but each to their own.

No one remembers who came second. Get over it!

@dfk41I voted to leave so nothing for me to get over. That said given how close it was, I don't really feel like dancing in the streets knowing almost half the country is being dragged along against their will either. but like i said man each to there own. 

• Like 7

Niche Zero -- Sage DTP

No where did I put that Monty Python stoning .gif .....

But seriously, celebrate while there's still time, I'm sure they had a blast on the last night aboard the Titanic ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Uriel4953 said:

@dfk41I voted to leave so nothing for me to get over. That said given how close it was, I don't really feel like dancing in the streets knowing almost half the country is being dragged along against their will either. but like i said man each to there own. 

Ordinarily, I would agree with you. As important as it is to learn how to win, you have to learn how to lose. The 47% spent a long time, or let us be accurate, part of the 47%, the vocal part, the Parliamentary part spent 3 1/2 years lording it over procedure, making a lot of the 53% think they had actually lost the Referendum........so, on this occasion I take immense pleasure in rubbing their noses well and truly into the dirt, safe in the knowledge that other than complain and whinge, there is absolutely nothing they can do......apart from that, life is good!

• Like 2

Don't halloo until you are out of the woods, they say... :exit:

• Like 2

It was 52% of those that cast a valid vote (frightening that 25k couldn't manage a mark in a box), so it was c37% leave,  c35% Remain and 28% DILLIGAF, so it wasn't really a majority view (nor would it have been had Remain managed marginally over 50% of the votes cast.  I'd say such a close result was a loss for everybody, since it's managed to rip the country apart in a way that will probably take many more years to heal  (3.5yrs passed and no real sign of it healing) whereas a decent majority either way would probably have been less divisive.

(51.89%  Leave, 48.11% Remain) of 72.13%.

Even the Scottish independence vote wasn't an absolute majority, it was close to being one, a lot closer than the Brexit one, but still fell short by >142k votes. I recall being in Scotland around then, and that was causing a lot of friction, how much that's healed 5.25 yrs on, I don't know but if that's anything to go by, there will be calls for a "Lets join Europe" vote (the thought fills me with dread).

Either way, bells would be nice, either a celebration, a death knell, or just a marking of a moments change  depending on viewpoint. Nice, but Id prefer a certain bunch of people in Westminster get on with running the country rather than debate whether to chime the bells.

When was the last time the FA Cup Final was replayed because the wrong team won (apart from any other EU Refendum)?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

I think not only should Big Ben Chime but additionally there should be fireworks and huge rockets containing small packs of tissues. The rockets explode showering most of London with the tissues to so remainer tears. can be dabbed away as we enter a new dawn. ;) A victory for democracy

• Like 1

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Not entirely related but I always find it a bit cringey when people make political decisions a part of their own identity. You see it a lot in the US... Makes me cringe every time.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dfk41 said:

When did you last see a question, in a pub quiz or anything similar, which asked who came second in WW2?

Okay pub quiz

hand of god

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2018/06/08/world-cup-maradonas-hand-of-god-goal-in-1986/35826757/

Many might say controversial. 

point... none but really 52% vote worth probably the loss of 33% of the land mass with Scotland independence. Perhaps unification of Ireland. The loss of Gibraltar.

I don't care if big ben rings I am not nearer enough so i could hear it. If you wish to celebrate good luck too you 

Sage DTP. Eureka Mignon.

47 minutes ago, Border_all said:

I will be celebrating!! Everyone ones quotes %, but convert that to votes cast and the picture looks totally different

I don't care if big ben rings I am not nearer enough so i could hear it. If you wish to celebrate good luck too you 

• Like 1

A quote springs to mind: Christopher Earle

“Be humble in victory and gracious in defeat.”

Christopher Earle

• Like 1

Great to see your petition has reached a wide, supportive audience, Dave. Nine people is quite the haul.

I agree with there being no reason not to sound the bell to mark the occasion, if it's in working order. It's neither here nor there, really.

Edited by filthynines
  • Like 1

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

I couldn't care less if they chimed or if people celebrated, the politicians in this country have been an embarrassment to us all over the past 3 1/2 years & I'd rather they spent their time sorting out more important issues. 

Rant over ? let's get back to coffee talk please

Edited by Jacko112
  • Like 5

A machine, a grinder & some beans

13 minutes ago, Batian said:

A quote springs to mind: Christopher Earle

“Be humble in victory and gracious in defeat.”

Christopher Earle

I quite agree with you Bastian.....the Remainers were all very humble in defeat.....we have a lot to learn!

22 minutes ago, filthynines said:

Great to see your petition has reached a wide, supportive audience, Dave. Nine people is quite the haul.

I agree with there being no reason not to sound the bell to mark the occasion, if it's in working order. It's neither here nor there, really.

If you signed it, there would be 10!

I’ll be glad when all this crap is put behind us. I get why some of the smug folk on here (you all know who you are) want to rejoice in the result to come. Let’s hope we are stronger as a result, as we are still an ununited kingdom.

let Big Ben chime in the new dawn and hope (as that is all that is left) that we don’t crash as an economy, or as a peace enduring Europe!

• Like 5

AKA Toffee chips