Hi all,

Looking for the best scales for up to £100. Brewista Smart Scale v2 at around £80 are at the top of my list. Can anyone recommend any better?

Sage Duo Temp Pro, Sage Smart Grinder Pro

9 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

For brewing or for espresso?

espresso

I weigh the beans, coffee into the portafilter and then sit them on the sage dtp to weigh the espresso.

4 minutes ago, Weymouth said:

espresso

Joe frex do scales for espresso. They're cheaper than £100. The brewista smart scales may be too bulky to fit under your machine with a portafilter and a cup. Alternatively there are knock offs on Amazon like jewellers scales that do equally as good job. Personally I have the felicita arc and am happy with them. Were £140 or so from North Star and will set me up for a while I hope.

I've got the£35 Joe Frex ones from Bella Barista. They're good, weighing the shot in good time (about a 2g 'lag' - ie I stop the shot as the readout passes 34g and it tends to stop roughly on 36/37g.) They also have a timer if needed. Nice and compact, which was perfect for use with my Classic. Now I've got a bigger machine I could get a bigger scale; BB do a non-branded black one for £18.99 which I used when I visited the showroom and I liked it.

I had a Salter jewellery one but it was terrible at weighing the shot as it poured - simply refused to measure most of the time, don't know why that was.

So I can endorse the Joe Frex one, but also check out the other I mentioned - the materials suggest it should be more waterproof than the Joe Frex

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@Weymouth I retract my endorsement of the Joe Frex ones - they are malfunctioning after less than a month's use. I've just ordered the £18.99 ones from BB, which I'm hoping are pretty much as good as the similar looking Brewista Smartscale II which go for £90.

By the way, are you from Weymouth? I grew up in Dorchester.

@Weymouth, I've been using a Brewista for over a year  - no problems.

+1 for Brewista Smart Scale II

Many of the load cells used on sub £20 scales are just the same as those used in some more expensive scales.  For brewing, I use a set of these:

MUHWA High Precision Food and Coffee Scale with Timer, Multifunction Food Scale, Digital Kitchen Scale 3kg/0.1g

£17 from amazon and cross-checked against other accurate scales and found to be bob-on and reliable down to tenths of a gramme.  My only gripe with them is that they sometimes take a while to catch up when pulling shots, so you're better pulling the  volume and checking the mass once pulled.  There are some that react faster but these do the job for not a lot of money.

Edited by Bica60s

Many of the load cells used on sub £20 scales are just the same as those used in some more expensive scales.  For brewing, I use a set of these:
41xAzEO1p4L.jpg
£17 from amazon and cross-checked against other accurate scales and found to be bob-on and reliable down to tenths of a gramme.  My only gripe with them is that they sometimes take a while to catch up when pulling shots, so you're better pulling the  volume and checking the mass once pulled.  There are some that react faster but these do the job for not a lot of money.
They are the ones I've got arriving this week. How slow does the 'live' shot weight run? Is it totally unusable?

because the electronics and strain gauges are used in so many things, even the cheapest ebay ones are fine for this level of measurement.

I checked mine against some mains powered, 4 decimal place calibrated ones from the science department. less than  bean difference in 18g

and when they get covered in coffee, batteries out and wash

• Like 1

The more I learn, the less I know!

Rancillio Rocky:) Gaggia Classic :) 18g VST

Can anyone recommend a rechargeable one? My last one which was about £20 eats through 2xAAAs in about 3 weeks! Sick of changing them.

Ta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lelit Mara 62 Delux | Niche Zero

3 hours ago, KingoftheHeath said:

They are the ones I've got arriving this week. How slow does the 'live' shot weight run? Is it totally unusable?

No they're not unusable as after a few attempts you get the hang of the delay time for say 36gr dosed and for mine, I switch the coffee machine off a few grammes under so switching off at 34 indicated allows the measurement delay to come up to the 36.  It may vary so be a little more or less between machines.  I think it's pretty good for the money and the delay is pretty typical with many using those load cells.  It's also a handy size, fits neatly on the drop tray of my Ranchilio and has a hanging point on the back so you can store it neatly on the wall after use.

2 hours ago, gr4z said:

Can anyone recommend a rechargeable one? My last one which was about £20 eats through 2xAAAs in about 3 weeks! Sick of changing them.

Ta

they sound faulty - its only an lcd screen and some low power electronics - several years on a set, in normal domestic usage

The more I learn, the less I know!

Rancillio Rocky:) Gaggia Classic :) 18g VST

4 minutes ago, ajohn said:

Auto tare is often aimed at drip so may not work in an ideal way for an espresso machine. I think @Mrboots2u recommends a certain type which isn't expensive. May have been @MWJB

John

-

The most expensive scales I have a some large, 0.5g mains powered ones I use for drip, otherwise I struggle with the idea of spending over £30. I did have some with a timer, but found tracking similar rates distracting.

I have the 0.01g/500g version of these (not showing at the minute) because they are fast to dose with.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Digital-Pocket-Scale-Germany/dp/B003OVHH0S/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=dipse+0.01g+scales&qid=1578943082&sr=8-13

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

LOL This wont go down well but lots use these for the usual things needed for espresso.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scales(0-1g-Measurement-Stainless-Steel-Lit-Function/dp/B082W7DBZC/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?keywords=scales+3kg&qid=1578941840&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFMM01LWVhIV1Q2TUkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2NTcxMzQxS1kzNklVU0xDWkY5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NDkwNTYzTFkwN1dJUjdGV0FBJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
As a better scale these are often mentioned and another by the same maker
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acaia-Pearl-Connected-Balance-Management/dp/B018RN7EP0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?adgrpid=56047529474&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6avcjaKB5wIVBbTtCh03OA5OEAAYASAAEgKl6vD_BwE&hvadid=259114574078&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9045474&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=18024526909163004646&hvtargid=kwd-294605581667&hydadcr=18516_1725450&keywords=acaia+scale&qid=1578942230&sr=8-2-fkmr0
Auto tare etc is often aimed at drip so may not work in an ideal way for an espresso machine. I think @Mrboots2u recommends a certain type which isn't expensive. May have been @MWJB

John
-

The first one is the one I already have and as mentioned eats batteries for breakfast. Don’t want to buy that one again the other is a tad expensive!

Lelit Mara 62 Delux | Niche Zero

These are the ones I got 

Brifit Digital Kitchen Scales, (3kg, 0.1g) Mini Food Scales, Electric Cooking Scales with 2 Trays, Back-Lit LCD Display, Tare and PCS Features, for Ingredients, Jewelry, Coffee, Chiristmas Gift https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DGLFVS0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9AnhEbGWRC2NC

They are probably exactly the same as the ones you mentioned with different branding. But my batteries lasted about 9 months 

LR, ZM

Ta

Brewista2 should fit the bill. If you want to spend less, I suggest getting some rechargeable AAA batteries for the scales you have.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

That's the sort of time I would expect. better add months not weeks.  I use some thick general purpose school lab scales as I don't weigh out. Those will eat batteries in a few weeks so are always plugged in.

The problems that can crop up with 5 or 600g scales come when some one wants to weigh and tare a mug and also probably many portafilters.

John

-

Edited by ajohn

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

These are the ones I got 

Brifit Digital Kitchen Scales, (3kg, 0.1g) Mini Food Scales, Electric Cooking Scales with 2 Trays, Back-Lit LCD Display, Tare and PCS Features, for Ingredients, Jewelry, Coffee, Chiristmas Gift https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DGLFVS0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9AnhEbGWRC2NC

They are probably exactly the same as the ones you mentioned with different branding. But my batteries lasted about 9 months 
I got about the same with mine & that was with using them for 99% of kitchen duties (the 3kg limit comes in handy).

Laissez les bons temps rouler

9 minutes ago, ashcroc said:
22 minutes ago, Fez said:
These are the ones I got 

I got about the same with mine & that was with using them for 99% of kitchen duties (the 3kg limit comes in handy).

Same here. Mine have taken a battering too and still going strong!

LR, ZM

22 hours ago, KingoftheHeath said:

@Weymouth I retract my endorsement of the Joe Frex ones - they are malfunctioning after less than a month's use. I've just ordered the £18.99 ones from BB, which I'm hoping are pretty much as good as the similar looking Brewista Smartscale II which go for £90.

By the way, are you from Weymouth? I grew up in Dorchester.

Not from Weymouth originally but been here for 2 years now