Sign in to follow this  
ArisP

Mazzer SJ with Fiorenzato Burrs

Hi folks,

Nothing too interesting I'm afraid, at least from a technical point of view, but here it goes.

A few months back I purchased a used SJ through a dedicated espresso machine repair shop. Wasn't too concerned about scratches on the outside, just the working bits, which still seem perfectly fine.

The shop owner told me he'd install brand new burrs before selling it to me, which in fairness he did.

Today I decided to take the burrs out and give everything a good clean, and discovered that the burrs are actually fiorenzato branded! After googling it, I saw that the fiorenzato is a grinder, and to my untrained eye, a mazzer sj clone?

Anyway, it's been working flawlessly and unless someone can provide a good reason why I should, I don't intend on changing the burrs for OEM.

IMG_20200111_082717-01.jpeg

IMG_20200111_080314-01-01.jpeg

Fiorenzato is a well known  manufacturer. The burr's may have a slightly different cut but I would not see any reason to change them.

The residue on the burrs looks quite gooey, are you using very oily beans ?

If you deep clean the M/ch and want to remove the lower carrier it is important NOT to try and lever it off with a screwdriver as you WILL buckle / bend it.See other posts on removing the lower carrier.

6 minutes ago, El carajillo said:

Fiorenzato is a well known  manufacturer. The burr's may have a slightly different cut but I would not see any reason to change them.

The residue on the burrs looks quite gooey, are you using very oily beans ?

If you deep clean the M/ch and want to remove the lower carrier it is important NOT to try and lever it off with a screwdriver as you WILL buckle / bend it.See other posts on removing the lower carrier.

Thanks for that. Yes, I'm sure they are well known, but I had never heard of them.

I do unfortunately use Very oily beans once in while, the wife loves the dark Starbucks beans so I grind a bag for her when  she runs out. Those beans leve oils even on your fingers...

I don't plan on removing the lower carrier, just took out the lower burr and cleaned the area.

Use a piece of K/ roll on a flat screw driver to wipe out the oil down the sides of the grind chamber ( or a flat spatula )

I use beans coated with oil a lot. It's my usual drink. Bean cans get coated in oil. I also have to wash Niche's grind can now and again when too much sticks to the can. I've generally found that when weighing beans in it hasn't caused a problem. 2 grinders. Mazzer Mini converted for weighing beans in the usual way and Niche. No problematic clumps  as well. Niche has a bit of a problem when I switch between these and others noticeable when I go back to oily. Might need a couple of grind resets over a few shots. On the mini I just modified what many  do a little. Weight over the beans to stop them bouncing about. Usual use of a brush then spin the grinder up again and use the brush again. The mini has a funnel. I also bought 2 packs of Starbucks beans just to try. Pass on which ones but can't recollect having any problems with them. I didn't think much of either.

I don't clean grinders out very often. I cottoned on to permanent retention myself thanks to Sage grinders. Essentially there may be some carry over from the previous beans but it will be gone after a couple of shot and may even be undetectable initially. Cleaning a Sage grinder out means that it's going to take a while to settle down again.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg