IGNORED

Import duty

3 hours ago, Dallah said:

Yes it was less than £135 delivered. That being the case, I thought the vendor was supposed to charge the VAT as I have bought things thru Etsy and they charged the VAT for HMRC. 

So I didn’t pay duty or VAT. 

Ah ok! Yes the sub £135 total makes all the difference, and yes you are correct they probably should have charged you the vat at point of sale so you’ve lucked out there, can’t complain about that though 😃

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting, I guess Switzerland pulled a Switzerland, and is both not an EEA country and part of the single market at the same time! Also, you didn't say what you ordered to then have to pay £48 in t

Posted Images

Even sending post and parcels is a nightmare. Parcels envolve loads of forms to be filled out stating exactly what's in them and their value and I sent some documents to the uk this week to my in laws and the envelope has been opened and checked before they received it. 

Well, on the plus side, the further we move away from January, when these new charges came into being, the nearer we get to to those charges disappearing again. Might take a decade, but it will happen.

@Spazbarista please read the forum guidelines. Brexit and political discussions are not allowed. It was voted on and agreed.

I am quite happy to use the Omega 13 device if needed, it's recharged now!

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 2

ezgif.com-gif-maker(2).gif.e86a9bdd3d8e72977b9f1a858ca5b70d.gif  It's just a game and I beat it.

@DavecUKthat is probably my fault as I think I used the B-word first. I was away from the forum when the rules against that sort of thing were brought in. 

Coffee. Because sarcastic humour is wrong. 

Just now, Dallah said:

@DavecUKthat is probably my fault as I think I used the B-word first. I was away from the forum when the rules against that sort of thing were brought in. 

If necessary I'll let you press the button then 🤣

ezgif.com-gif-maker(2).gif.e86a9bdd3d8e72977b9f1a858ca5b70d.gif  It's just a game and I beat it.

Just had to give the button a little tap...it's definitely working.

I’ve noticed a change with couriers seemingly requiring sellers to upload more information re: value prior to shipping - ostensibly to allow the buyer to pay the duty prior to delivery and therefore speed things up.

Fine, but the admin fee they charge can be a bit of kicker if you order something small and hadn’t realised - DHL charge £12 + duty on the total (inc. shipping) amount, FedEx is £8.

(This was based on several purchases from Japan and Hong Kong December 2020).

The obvious benefit for governments of this system is that less items will now fall through the cracks - I’ve ordered from the same Japanese supplier several times in recent years without ever having to pay duty until my last order. I guess my luck’s run out!

Edited by eyeabee

Just as an update, I took the plunge and ordered the Comandante C40 from France, il post back here the breakdown of fees I’m charged once I have it in case it helps anyone with similar queries in the future.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, eyeabee said:

I’ve noticed a change with couriers seemingly requiring sellers to upload more information re: value prior to shipping - ostensibly to allow the buyer to pay the duty prior to delivery and therefore speed things up.

Fine, but the admin fee they charge can be a bit of kicker if you order something small and hadn’t realised - DHL charge £12 + duty on the total (inc. shipping) amount, FedEx is £8.

(This was based on several purchases from Japan and Hong Kong December 2020).

The obvious benefit for governments of this system is that less items will now fall through the cracks - I’ve ordered from the same Japanese supplier several times in recent years without ever having to pay duty until my last order. I guess my luck’s run out!

I think you have done well.  My purchases from Japan have routinely incurred charges, which in turn has influenced decisions about whether to purchase. 

It's pretty simple now from what I can gather but the detail is confusing. No £15 tax free limit any more and ordinary punters pay 20% currently VAT on everything. Declared value though. Lots of countries when they could did stick a number on under £18 being unaware that it was reduced to £15. ;) If there is any chance of that I always tell them. No point now. Ebay USA changed things long ago. Ebay produce the docs for them  so the correct value is shown now. Japan sellers wont generally mark items undervalue. I've asked a couple of times. 

The comments about UPS etc are interesting. Some time ago I received and item from the USA via them and thought great no tax. Then an invoice arrived in the post. No fee that I can remember so must have been included in the shipping costs. I hear that sometimes they hold stuff until the tax has been paid. My brother is into old electric guitars and has had that happen.

Royal Mail deliver FOC for other countries domestic carriers - USPS for instance.. That seems to include China Post ;) suppose all of their carriers are domestic. I came across some political talk about an international agreement on this - not very happy about it. The changes and fees will make cheap stuff from China unattractive.  Sometimes the stuff can not be bought here. The USA can be similar. Maybe that will change.

There are import duties in the background but all I have come across are low and apply to few things. They may have gone now. Long time ago since I have paid one.

When tax is paid by the service I have noticed that Amazon and Ebay's global service seems to be cheaper than would be expected. Amazon warehouse stuff all over the place but assume they will sort that out.

On 05/03/2021 at 08:40, Punkypj said:

Resurrecting old thread but relevant...

Since the tax rules changed in jan 2021 after this thread was started, does anyone have any idea what import duties or custom duties would be payable on a coffee grinder (Comandante C40) shipping in from France to UK now? Or any coffee equipment purchased in EU tbh.

It’s over the £135 threshold so I know it’s liable for some duties plus 20% vat. I’m good with the vat as that isn’t charged at point of sale, but struggling to work out what rates the duties will be as there’s loads of categories.

Anyone else imported coffee gear recently since the rule changes?

Do a search online for coffee equipment tariff codes.

The duty isn’t massive on espresso machines from memory, something like 2.5%, but a grinder is likely a different tariff code and so might have a duty rate.