IGNORED

Import duty

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting, I guess Switzerland pulled a Switzerland, and is both not an EEA country and part of the single market at the same time! Also, you didn't say what you ordered to then have to pay £48 in t

Posted Images

Interesting, I guess Switzerland pulled a Switzerland, and is both not an EEA country and part of the single market at the same time!

just you wait... [emoji56][emoji85]

Checked with HMC and I shouldn't have paid anything. Problem though. Pointed at a form to fill in after being asked who delivered it. Royal Mail. The form goes to Border Force - offices in Coventry. Looks like we now have a brand new collection agency and possibly the original one as well if shipped by some one else. Think the same form is for Parcel Force as well.

I suspect that the  Swiss get away with because they don't rock anybodies trade balance figures. Even ours is positive. :) I'm always reminded of a conversation with a seniorish man from the USA about the EU. He laughed and said if that lot ever worked together it really would be something. 100% correct as if it did ever get fully integrated in some ways it would be a threat to the USA, hence the laugh as highly unlikely to happen.

John

-

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Resurrecting old thread but relevant...

Since the tax rules changed in jan 2021 after this thread was started, does anyone have any idea what import duties or custom duties would be payable on a coffee grinder (Comandante C40) shipping in from France to UK now? Or any coffee equipment purchased in EU tbh.

It’s over the £135 threshold so I know it’s liable for some duties plus 20% vat. I’m good with the vat as that isn’t charged at point of sale, but struggling to work out what rates the duties will be as there’s loads of categories.

Anyone else imported coffee gear recently since the rule changes?

@Punkypj - As far as I know, the agreement states there are no duties. However, because it's over £135, you are expected to pay VAT, and potentially some admin charge by the courier on top.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

33 minutes ago, Punkypj said:

Since the tax rules changed in jan 2021 after this thread was started, does anyone have any idea what import duties or custom duties would be payable on a coffee grinder (Comandante C40) shipping in from France to UK now? Or any coffee equipment purchased in EU tbh.

It’s over the £135 threshold so I know it’s liable for some duties plus 20% vat. I’m good with the vat as that isn’t charged at point of sale, but struggling to work out what rates the duties will be as there’s loads of categories.

There actually are custom duties on goods coming from the EU now.

Any goods over £135 that have parts that from outside the EU or that were previously imported into the EU are liable. The ratest are variable, rarely more than 20% though.

And emember to double check whether VAT is covered at point if sale or not. 👍

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55841048

9 minutes ago, J_Fo said:

There actually are custom duties

Thanks for this. You are right. I forgot that there are duties if the good (or part of the good) is made outside of the EU. Why make things simple hey? 🤷‍♂️. It will not have any duty only if the whole thing is manufactured in the EU. 

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

54 minutes ago, J_Fo said:

The ratest are variable, rarely more than 20% though.

Yes this is the bit I was wondering if anyone has had experience of? I’m aware I will be paying the vat at import and I can easily work out what that amount will be, but trying to work out what the duty will be seems really hard as there are so many possibilities of how the grinder could be classified.

I guess if i just assume worst case it’s yet another 20% on top for duty in addition to 20% vat that’s the safest option. Really is a minefield now 😢

Edited by Punkypj

how much is the item before any possible additions?

Outmost is not a word........I am getting better, only 4 errors this time

1 hour ago, Punkypj said:

It's all clearly laid out in the rules - https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty  It does depend on teh declared item value (what the seller says it costs) and also if Royal Mail collect the duty, they levy an £8 charge (as already stated). 

39 minutes ago, PACMAN said:

It's all clearly laid out in the rules - https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty  It does depend on teh declared item value (what the seller says it costs) and also if Royal Mail collect the duty, they levy an £8 charge (as already stated). 

Hi, I’ve already trawled that site, but unless I’m reading it incorrectly, anything valued over £135 falls into the “Gifts above £630 and other goods above £135” bracket, whereby there isn’t a nice table that tells you the duty % - the HMRC advice is to then call the helpline, which I was hoping to avoid.

I was just wondering if others here might have already gone through this issue?

Outmost is not a word........I am getting better, only 4 errors this time

As I couldn’t find them in stock in the UK I just bought a set of Felicita Arc Scales from a vendor in France. They didn’t charge me VAT at their end and it appears that they will be delivered today by Parcelforce without any sort of duties, VAT or handling charges. The whole situation re: duties & VAT since Brexit has been a bit of a farce IMO. 

Coffee. Because sarcastic humour is wrong. 

17 minutes ago, dfk41 said:

Yup that’s the exact one! They ship from France 🇫🇷 They do knock the vat off at checkout though so it’s £165 with them and then the vat and duty and fees payment at point of receipt.

8 minutes ago, Dallah said:

As I couldn’t find them in stock in the UK I just bought a set of Felicita Arc Scales from a vendor in France. They didn’t charge me VAT at their end and it appears that they will be delivered today by Parcelforce without any sort of duties, VAT or handling charges. The whole situation re: duties & VAT since Brexit has been a bit of a farce IMO. 

Oh that’s encouraging, maybe it will just be the vat to pay. Can you post back once delivered and let me know if you pay duty etc? Thanks!

Edit: Was it less than £135 delivered? That seems to make all the difference.

Edited by Punkypj

Yes it was less than £135 delivered. That being the case, I thought the vendor was supposed to charge the VAT as I have bought things thru Etsy and they charged the VAT for HMRC. 

So I didn’t pay duty or VAT. 

Coffee. Because sarcastic humour is wrong.