Hairy_Hogg

LSOL January - Rave Coffee [Cirencester]

I’m going out on a limb here and guessing the beans are Asian (ferment in the bag process) China or Myanmar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

18g, inverted. Similar grind to v60.

30 second bloom then fill to the top, wait for 2 more mins then flip over and slowly press.

Tried a quick espresso shot today on nearly the finest setting on my porlex grinder. I got 40g in 9/10 seconds with espresso everywhere. 

it didn’t taste the worst but it didn’t taste great. Think I’ll be sticking with aeropress for this batch. 

• Like 1

Nicaraguan possibly an anerobic ?

Been enjoying this solely as filter in the moccamaster at a fairly low 50g/L, lovely straight black or with a splash of milk.

Reminded me of an Atkinsons from last year described as Bubble Gum hence the Nicaraguan guess plus Sarah likes it, so it can't be an Ethiopian ?

John

• Like 2

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 105Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

10 minutes ago, johnealey said:

Sarah likes it, so it can't be an Ethiopian ?

Made I larf!!

I actually have a related "rule of thumb"....

If MrsD likes it ==> I won't... 
(although frankly - If it's LSOL ==> MrsD won't like it)

• Like 1

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

21 minutes ago, johnealey said:

Nicaraguan possibly an anerobic ?

Been enjoying this solely as filter in the moccamaster at a fairly low 50g/L, lovely straight black or with a splash of milk.

Reminded me of an Atkinsons from last year described as Bubble Gum hence the Nicaraguan guess plus Sarah likes it, so it can't be an Ethiopian ?

John

I’ve also been going for a lower dose ratio and prefer the flavour overal. 

• Like 1

Was eager to try this after reading others' comments, but I've been having a tough time dialing it in for a pourover. I've been experimenting with grind finer than I usually do to get sweetness out of it, but I always seem to end up with a kind of unpleasant smokiness? That said I'm definitely getting a kind of rum-raisiny sweetness.
I'm grinding fairly course (close to french press) for both chemex and bonavita dripper and I'm getting excellent results time after time.

V60, Kalita and Espresso have all been outstanding for me, loving this bean. Espresso, go finer than you expect to.

One correct origin guess in the thread

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mr LSOL - June offering here -> Clicky <-

Wish I had read about super fine grinding. Wasted 14g x 2, had 80odd out in 30sec with first setting that would be fine for many beans. 2nd go was not much better. I bought some Mandalay  Myanmar Estate. Washed. Curious about what Niche does with this style of beans. Then tried a setting of 0 on it and also increased the dose. Needed to run the shot on. The puck showed signs of overloading so need to back off. ;) Might need sub zero. So far I get green apple as an aftertaste. Not too keen on the initial taste - bit like some columbians in medium. No cocoa - so far.

Not sure but does this thread relate to some sort of subscription? I'm more into trying specific beans.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

Made a French Press the other day and although my other half thought it was too strong I quite liked it. I unwound the Nichea full 360 then a bit further to near the cal mark. 20 grams into a small FP that gave two flatty cups worth. Let it steep for about 10 mins and tapped the side to drop the grinds to the bottom before pouring.

Also had it from the La Pavoni as espresso and flat white. Maybe tightened the grind 3 marks from usual and could quite possibly go another couple if I'm careful with my tamp/pull technique. It's certainly tasty and more than likely a natural. Probably the sealed fermentation method that seems to be all the rage at the minute, maybe a colder/longer one I don't know and not sure what difference it'd make. Re the temp, for the FP I used just of the boil and pre-heated the FP up before hand. With the La Pav I left the portafilter in the grouphead so it was hot and everything was heated up for a while beforehand. Now waiting for my BWT filter to arrive so I can try them out on the Speedster and push the temp a bit more 96.5 perhaps as I think 97 is getting a bit too hot maybe. It's set on 95.5 at the min at 8 bar so might drop that back down to 6. Anyhow, see how it goes.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

21 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Probably the sealed fermentation method that seems to be all the rage at the minute,

Long may it continue! 

Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

I couldn’t dial in properly for espresso, always a gusher but the taste in the cup was always amazing, my guess is natural Colombian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, I have a Rave subscription (never buy a CBR roaster and give up your LSOL subscription people) at the moment and if I'm right ive just worked my way through 2kg of these over Dec/Jan - I wont spoil the guesswork but they have the record for the finest grind ive ever had to do on my Major, but well worth it - got some great shots, and a great coffee.

• Like 2

all opinions are my own I have not received any free equipment or favours from suppliers 

Would just add that I upped the dose from my usual 14 to 15g with a Pav and still ground finer than usual

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

all opinions are my own I have not received any free equipment or favours from suppliers 

When is the big reveal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all,

So as some of you have guessed, this is indeed a form of Asian natural.  It's our China Xingang, a double fermented lot from a mother daughter Team in Menglian.  Following hand sorting, the cherry undergoes double fermentation – the cherry is fermented in bags for three days before drying. It is then laid out to dry on raised beds on the first floor for two days. They are then bagged again and monitored until the fermentation reaches a similar aroma to red wine (around three days). Finally, they are laid out to dry again on raised beds for about a month.

Glad you've enjoyed it ;)

• Like 12

beans beans the musical fruit....

Yeah in that case I also had this over Christmas, bought a rave filter taster pack for the family to try. Kept my mouth shut in case I was right that it was the same one! 

Suspected Asian mostly because of the crazy fine grind needed. The one I had over Christmas I think I was about 6 on the Niche, easily finest grind I've had to go to before. 

Natural all makes sense given the flavours. I will say its tasting a bit boozier than it was before, which is interesting. Not sure whether it's the roast or how I'm making it.

Makes a lovely v60/kalita and over Christmas I was doing 15-30 in about 24 seconds, which worked for me in a flat white (although I'm no expert). Haven't really tried espressos with this batch yet, currently getting the kitchen replaced so the espresso machine is hidden away for now ?

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

I was on Rave's site last week, saw there was a natural from an unusual location and put 2 and 2 together... Hence no guess this month, felt a bit cheaty... ?

Really enjoying it, so boozy and sweet, I've been having it mostly as flat white with the occasional spro, not had a pour over or Aeropress yet...

The Myanmar we had a couple of months ago needed a really fine grind as well, don't know if that's typical of the region or just a coincidence...?

Thanks @Daren and @Hairy_Hogg for organising and @shortshots for delivering the goods!

PS well played on this month's roaster Mr Hogg, I love Cartwheel! ??

• Like 3

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Note to you all, if you like it I'm about to run out for a few days but I have 60kg incoming for next week before it goes (and it isn't coming back next year- with us anyway)

• Like 5

beans beans the musical fruit....

Note to you all, if you like it I'm about to run out for a few days but I have 60kg incoming for next week before it goes (and it isn't coming back next year- with us anyway)

I’ll definitely be ordering some more of this. Will it be called Xinxang on your website ? Don’t want to order the wrong thing !
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jason11 said:

I’ll definitely be ordering some more of this. Will it be called Xinxang on your website ? Don’t want to order the wrong thing !

Yeah, here it is :)

https://ravecoffee.co.uk/collections/single-origin-coffee/products/china-xingang-natural-gen?variant=31300108419209

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

It’s been a tricky bean to get dialled in but by god it’s an absolute corker! It’s in my top 2 favourite roast from Rave.@shortshots thanks for to pointers regarding the temp and fine grinding.

I’d definitely recommend this to anyone who’s likes a fermented booze fruit thing.

• Like 2

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

It’s been a tricky bean to get dialled in but by god it’s an absolute corker! It’s in my top 2 favourite roast from Rave.@shortshots thanks for to pointers regarding the temp and fine grinding.

I’d definitely recommend this to anyone who’s likes a fermented booze fruit thing.

Glad you got there in the end Urbs
  • Like 1

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee