GazRef

Fresh roast - how long do you wait before using

Whats you're preference in how long do you wait before using freshly roasted and posted coffee? Do roast levels have any impact in how many days you leave them to degas?

Depends which company. :) 7/10 days some I have had took 2 weeks to be just right

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Depends which company. [emoji4] 7/10 days some I have had took 2 weeks to be just right

Agree with this. Some roasters are good after 5 days, some might be longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Do you think this (5 days min) applies also when the fresh roasted coffee is shipped already ground? Doesn't grinding release most of the gas already?

erm No

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

9 minutes ago, Jony said:

erm No

No as in the wait doesn't apply?

No as in it doesn't release the gas faster?

No as in you had a mini-stroke on your keyboard and that's all you had time to type? ?

I think you may struggle to get a definitive answer on this forum as most people responding will have experience based on whole beans.

You could always try it and see what you think as may well off gas earlier than whole beans due to them being ground if that makes sense (more surface area of coffee in ground vs whole bean). 

The issue you are really going to have is one of your coffee going stale faster due to being ground, possibly time to look into getting a grinder? 

Hope of some help

John

• Like 1

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 105Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

3 minutes ago, johnealey said:

I think you may struggle to get a definitive answer on this forum as most people responding will have experience based on whole beans.

You could always try it and see what you think as may well off gas earlier than whole beans due to them being ground if that makes sense (more surface area of coffee in ground vs whole bean). 

The issue you are really going to have is one of your coffee going stale faster due to being ground, possibly time to look into getting a grinder? 

Hope of some help

John

Absolutely agree, thanks for the help!

Yes, the grinder is stuck in transit, so have to make do with pre-ground for the time being.

50 minutes ago, ArisP said:

No as in the wait doesn't apply?

No as in it doesn't release the gas faster?

No as in you had a mini-stroke on your keyboard and that's all you had time to type? ?

Yes

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Binks said:

Yes

Hahahaha.. glad to see I'm not the only old bastard around!

• Haha 1

If it were pre-ground I'd aim to use it as soon as possible personally (not that I ever find myself in such a predicament). Aromatics start to get released and anything exposed to oxygen will degrade faster. My belief is  ground coffee is something like taking a bite of an apple and leaving it. The beans now a much bigger area in contact with oxygen. 

Or alternate answer in line with other parts of the thread

Maybe

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

33 minutes ago, jlarkin said:

If it were pre-ground I'd aim to use it as soon as possible personally (not that I ever find myself in such a predicament). Aromatics start to get released and anything exposed to oxygen will degrade faster. My belief is  ground coffee is something like taking a bite of an apple and leaving it. The beans now a much bigger area in contact with oxygen. 

Or alternate answer in line with other parts of the thread

Maybe

Seems logical.

Any-who, answering my own question, I did open the sealed bag and currently enjoying my 2nd double espresso. It's been 4 days since roasting, and the flavor is lovely!

• Like 1

Does anyone know of any coffee hacks to speed up the wait process? 

Xmas/new year period has put me out of sync so down to last 100g. Have a kilo of medium dark on the way but yet to be delivered. Might have read about microwaving beans somewhere over the long years but not sure in what context and if it was one of the old school methods we moved away from. TIA

I roast at home and although I may not have the most advanced palate I try my beans out the day after! 
dark roasts I drink days 1-7.

Medium roasts I leave for 2 days so days 3-10

Lighter roasts I give 4 days and have found them good to 3 weeks 

Just what I’ve found. Don’t shoot me! 

La Pavoni Europiccola - Mignon Manuale - La Pavoni Zip - Gaggia Classic - Nanopresso - Osmio Zero

On 07/01/2020 at 10:18, GazRef said:

Does anyone know of any coffee hacks to speed up the wait process? 

Xmas/new year period has put me out of sync so down to last 100g. Have a kilo of medium dark on the way but yet to be delivered. Might have read about microwaving beans somewhere over the long years but not sure in what context and if it was one of the old school methods we moved away from. TIA

In these cases my sister just leaves the bag open overnight.  Not sure how effective that is, but may be worth a try.

All the roasters I've used ship them in bags with degassing values. I think grinding them then waiting x time would have an accelerated affect but not an exact science.