Gavin

500g - Taboo?

Any one know why more roasters don't offer 500g options on their beans?

250g is too small, especially if you've blown a couple of shots dialing in. On the other hand 1kg is quite a commitment, financially and time-wise. I've always thought that 500g is the perfect amount, especially as it's just me in the house drinking coffee.

Also, can any recommend any roasters that do 500g sized bags (besides Coffee Compass)?

Many thanks,

Gavin

I do believe that @Hasi can point you in the direction of a rather good roaster that uses 500 gram bags.

• Thanks 1

Foundry Coffee are  doing 500g bags now.

• Thanks 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

7 minutes ago, Jony said:

Foundry Coffee are  doing 500g bags now.

Good to know! Thanks

I find the 350gram size much better than 500. 

There wouldn't really be a cost saving, but just buy 2 X 250gram bags if you want 500grams of a certain bean :)

LR, ZM

The reason I tend to go with CC is for the 500g (and its nice coffee for the price) so would love some more roasters to do this, will keep an eye on this thread for future beans!

Sage DB - Niche - Torr 58.55 sharp edge - Osmio Zero 

I’m looking right at a 500g bag of yumminess ?

BD69FEAE-F35C-4707-BF13-F303C63E903E.thumb.jpeg.ea2cb7ace2a82e6cae23ef0544378df1.jpeg

Fresh from the Roastery of our very own @Hasi ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip, tamper and stand, portafilter stand  /  Monolith Titan MAX and something or other on order  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  EPHQ 14g baskets & 15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: HasBean, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, Coffee Compass  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr Binks said:

I do believe that @Hasi can point you in the direction of a rather good roaster that uses 500 gram bags.

I do believe you did point OP in the direction, already :D

8 minutes ago, MildredM said:

BD69FEAE-F35C-4707-BF13-F303C63E903E.thumb.jpeg.ea2cb7ace2a82e6cae23ef0544378df1.jpeg

Thanks for the flowers  @Mr Binks  and  @MildredM  :)

Indeed we do mostly 500g bags.
Currently not even offering 1kilo for wholesale as we think it's just too much to leave cracked open. 250g is right for starters or to experiment with IMHO, but once you have found your go-to bean,
500g feels about perfect...

Edited by Hasi
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, MildredM said:

I couldn’t wait any longer ?

I have to admit to having tasted it already - had my first cup this morning and one just after lunch.

Took a punt with the Niche at 12 setting

First shot was 16g in 37g out - 29 seconds, definitely a fruity flavour though I couldn’t be more specific. A mild taste with milk as a flat white.

Left Niche alone and Increased dosage to 17g in and 38 out for the lunch time cup. Found it to have a better flavour against the milk. A very nice cup.

Will continue to experiment as and when my caffeine allowance permits ? but will try to make each shot count as I only have 25.5  17g shots left in the bag. At 4 shots per day between Mrs M and me that’s 6.3 day’s worth not counting visitors ☹️ ☹️

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fez said:

There wouldn't really be a cost saving, but just buy 2 X 250gram bags if you want 500grams of a certain bean :)

Sounds a bit complicated but aside from that I'd just prefer one bag. Picky, I know!

27 minutes ago, Hasi said:

I do believe that @Hasi can point you in the direction of a rather good roaster that uses 500 gram bags

Slightly off topic but Is there a discount or something set up for forum members, @Hasi?

13 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Sounds a bit complicated but aside from that I'd just prefer one bag. Picky, I know!

Do you store your beans in an airscape or similar?

Because if not then 2 X 250g bags is actually better as the second bag will be fresher than if it were all in one bag/container. 

But hey ho, I guess it is a lot of work adding 2 of something instead of 1 to your cart when ordering online ?

• Haha 1

LR, ZM

Just now, Fez said:

But hey ho, I guess it is a lot of work adding 2 of something instead of 1 to your cart when ordering online ?

Exactly! And just doing the maths each time I order, something is bound to go horribly wrong sooner or later.

But yes, I'm lucky enough to have a couple of Airscape containers

21 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Slightly off topic but Is there a discount or something set up for forum members, @Hasi?

doing the eventual group buy to bridge international shipping costs gap - stay tuned for the next round ?

• Like 1

It just doesn't make sense to limit yourself because of this. 

If you only wanted 100grams of coffee at a time because you only had 1 cup a week for example then it might make sense to look for someone specifically providing smaller sizes. 

But there is no reason you can't order 2X250G packs.

In fact I bet you some places will send you 2x 250g bags when you select the 500g option ? 

On a side note - I'm looking forward to the next group buy too @Hasi :)

• Like 1

LR, ZM

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm aware - the original question was more out of curiosity. Also, I'm always try to cut down on package waste when I order stuff.

My comments about 'complexity' and 'maths' was an attempt at humour through whimsical exaggeration of the difficulty. Apologies if this missed the mark.

Many thanks to all for your suggestions I'll get on board the next VB train

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 1

I'll get on board the next VB train

it's an airline
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Fez said:

In fact I bet you some places will send you 2x 250g bags when you select the 500g option ? 

Ok, but same applies for 1kg with that logic and we know that many offer a volume discount and of course packaging differently to avoid waste and/or recognise that buyers of larger volumes typically have their own storage solutions.

• Like 1

Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

it's an airline
Pumping up the tyres of your pickup truck?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Pumping up the tyres of your pickup truck?
totally off-topic now, but hey it's got tires, not tyres... (see what I did there?)
  • Haha 1

@Hasi how does one procure your beans ??? Too many references to how great they are on this forum for me to ignore!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

@Hasi how does one procure your beans ??? Too many references to how great they are on this forum for me to ignore!

depends on how much you want to invest individual shipping costs a bit from AT to UK. But our online shop would allow for it... As stated above, I'll be organising another little group buy anytime soon - stay tuned!
  • Like 2

depends on how much you want to invest individual shipping costs a bit from AT to UK. But our online shop would allow for it... As stated above, I'll be organising another little group buy anytime soon - stay tuned!
I am up for getting into the group buy!

• Like 1

I have a Horsham roaster code if you want it it's 15%

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)