Morningfuel

I want a subscription - which one?

My main criteria are:

- espresso friendly. I will be using a high end espresso hand grinder, so light roasts are not off the table completely, but maybe worth considering. 

- ethical. As ethical as possible. I care a lot about this. 

- a variety of blends and single origins. 

Hasbean seems a good choice, and square mile also have a subscription but would love to know what you all think I should commit to drinking for the next year :)

I am on CrankHouse sub and Dog&Hat sub everyone has their favourite roasters.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

I'm on a Dog & Hat sub for the variation of roasters.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I'm enjoying quite a lot the sub from Obadiah in terms of quality. It is omniroast, but more on the developed side, I can imagine it should work well for espresso. Care to explain what you mean by ethical? 

Edited by the_partisan

Ethical - sourced in a way that ensures a sustainable economy and ecosystem, ensuring all parties are paid appropriately and minimising the risk of human rights being breached. 

Obviously, there is only so far we can go, but I do try to buy sustainably... Even if it does cost a bit more (and so means I need to drink a bit less coffee!). 

Pie in the sky? 

I would think most notable roasters & importers (Nordic Approach, Falcon etc) do mostly ethical work and a lot of roasters source coffees from them. I don't think it's necessarily critical that a roastery is buying directly from the farmer.

11 minutes ago, the_partisan said:

I would think most notable roasters & importers (Nordic Approach, Falcon etc) do mostly ethical work and a lot of roasters source coffees from them. I don't think it's necessarily critical that a roastery is buying directly from the farmer.

That's great to hear :) hopefully I can be recommended subs and not worry too much about the ethics given this. 

:)

I'm loving my@DogandHat subscription and loads of roast options..... also believe they have a package that supports charities / slavery but might have been dreaming this as cannot see anything on the website during a quick glance... maybe they could confirm?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Dog&hat here too. As well as fantastic variety, Su and Dave are also lovely. Definitely recommend them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

home - Sage dual boiler & Compak E8

work - Commandante C40 and aeropress 

please don’t ask me to mod your sage portafilter

@SkateReclaimCreate

On 27/12/2019 at 13:32, Jackabb said:

I'm loving my@DogandHat subscription and loads of roast options..... also believe they have a package that supports charities / slavery but might have been dreaming this as cannot see anything on the website during a quick glance... maybe they could confirm?

Hi All,

Thank you for all your kind words, environmentally wise we ship in plain cardboard, printed and recyclable, we print on recycled paper and we do not print excessive cards or use colour. In regards to roasters we do check them for ethical practice, North Star are absolutely one of the best, Horsham are also very transparent. 

Jack was referring to out 'Initiative' subscription that was on the site, but came off for a proper launch early this year. This sub only includes roasters like Manumit (supporting victims of modern Day Slavery) and then there are New Ground and Redemption who support rehabilitation of offenders. We are launching this is make sure we place regular orders on these roasters. 

We also features in The Independent this week, in the top 10 subscriptions and I have to give a huge shout out to EVERYONE who has supported us, so many of them on CFUK. Its a huge achievement for us. And it absolutely rocks that Manumit are up at the top. THANKYOU ALL.

https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/best-coffee-subscription-gift-reviews-services-monthly-craft-box-a7484051.html

Su x

• Like 11

emoji251.png&emoji145.png

9 hours ago, DogandHat said:

Hi All,

Thank you for all your kind words, environmentally wise we ship in plain cardboard, printed and recyclable, we print on recycled paper and we do not print excessive cards or use colour. In regards to roasters we do check them for ethical practice, North Star are absolutely one of the best, Horsham are also very transparent. 

Jack was referring to out 'Initiative' subscription that was on the site, but came off for a proper launch early this year. This sub only includes roasters like Manumit (supporting victims of modern Day Slavery) and then there are New Ground and Redemption who support rehabilitation of offenders. We are launching this is make sure we place regular orders on these roasters. 

We also features in The Independent this week, in the top 10 subscriptions and I have to give a huge shout out to EVERYONE who has supported us, so many of them on CFUK. Its a huge achievement for us. And it absolutely rocks that Manumit are up at the top. THANKYOU ALL.

https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/best-coffee-subscription-gift-reviews-services-monthly-craft-box-a7484051.html

Su x

Fantastic and well done ? ? and well deserved ? ? ? 

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip, tamper and stand, portafilter stand  /  Monolith Titan MAX and something or other on order  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  EPHQ 14g baskets & 15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: HasBean, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, Coffee Compass  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

There's another locally to me which uses ethical sourcing:  Ethical Addictions Coffee in  Gloucester.  Direct from farm to cup with coffee beans sourced from Tanzania and Brazil.  Their Machare Kilimanjaro coffee is a good place to start...good coffee at £5.29/225gr bag.  They offer subscriptions from betwen 3 and 12 months.

• Like 1

There's another locally to me which uses ethical sourcing:  Ethical Addictions Coffee in  Gloucester.  Direct from farm to cup with coffee beans sourced from Tanzania and Brazil.  Their Machare Kilimanjaro coffee is a good place to start...good coffee at £5.29/225gr bag.  They offer subscriptions from betwen 3 and 12 months.
I live very close to here and have never heard of these guys!?

Are they any good?

I can't speak for any other of their beans (because I haven't tried them) but locally they have a very good name and the Machare beans are deffo to my tastes. Nice guys to deal with.

• Like 1

Bit skint after Christmas. So hoping for a January sale subscription!

2 hours ago, Jez H said:

Bit skint after Christmas. So hoping for a January sale subscription!

Dog & Hat have 20% off first month with code TWENTY

• Like 1

Definitely Dog and Hat for variety, care, attention and as above, all round wonderfulness. 

I get the occasional box from the Coffeevine because of the European focus (Dog and Hat also feature European roasters), and after that it's taste and buying (without a sub) from roasters that never miss a beat so far as I'm concerned.   It's a lovely dilemma. 

• Thanks 1

I have just subscribed to dig&hat using the twenty code two bags a month but I also subbed to the roastery for another bag every fortnight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Glad I stumbled over this and all the Dog and Hat recommendations. I like to try different beans so that was the perfect way to sort out getting coffee without needing to think about ordering it each month and get to try new things rather than have a KG of one bean to work through each month. Looking forward to the February delivery from my new Dog and Hat subscription and 20% off the first month was a great bonus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am on a Gustatory subscription, and I was notified of their February coffee roasters announcement. They're to include Gardelli from Italy, Solberg & Hansen from Norway, Calendar and Cloud Picker from Ireland, and Pharmacie from UK.

...BOY am I so excited to be receiving a Gardelli coffee - theyre regarded as one of the world's best coffee roasters, I am on their Plus87 sub and it has stellar coffees! Feb 2nd can't come soon enough!

100% recommend. When I first subscribed, I compared to Dog & Hat etc, and they're cheaper, certainly more internationally focussed and varied, and also more charitable than all the other sub services. They donate to a reforestation partner, which is cool. Make that 1000% recommend ?

Hope this summary helps anyone!

I've subscribed to Dog & Hat after seeing the recommendations. Can't wait to receive my beans in the next few days!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Chris! said:

I've subscribed to Dog & Hat after seeing the recommendations. Can't wait to receive my beans in the next few days!

On the sub i was looking at, it said "Order deadline is the 20th of the month" so i'm wondering if i was to place an order now, when I'd actually receive them?

47 minutes ago, neologan said:

On the sub i was looking at, it said "Order deadline is the 20th of the month" so i'm wondering if i was to place an order now, when I'd actually receive them?

Hi there, we do still have a handful of this month's boxes left.  So if you were to order now we'd get that in the post for you tomorrow. 

Su and Dave

• Like 5

emoji251.png&emoji145.png