Jump to content
IGNORED

Synchronika Flow Control Kit


Recommended Posts

Has anyone had one of this kits fitted to their ECM/Profitec? At £179 from Bella Barista they appear to be worthwhile upgrade for those enthusiasts who like to experiment.

 

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I got one for Christmas. Still getting used to it but first impressions are good - nice to be able to do a low pressure pre-infusion on lighter roast coffees. No channeling at all now with a 15g VST, it was a bit hit and miss before.

Interestingly it seems they have altered the kit again - mine came with a replacement spring, presumably to disable the E61 pre-infusion chamber, similar to the Lelit kit. 

Edited by jscott
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeterF said:

Have they sorted out the problem with people getting burnt hands when operating the knob?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
 

I have had mine fitted for over 2 months . Dead easy to fit and use . No burns here .. If you touch any metal part on the e61 it will be hot . The thing turns very easy with one finger on the knob . 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
53 minutes ago, devenm96 said:

Any idea if I can fit this onto a ECM Classika PID?

Yes, you should be able to. Whole latte love are selling the Classika with the flow control kit pre-installed in the US

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/12/2019 at 14:46, Nicknak said:

I have had mine fitted for over 2 months . Dead easy to fit and use . No burns here .. If you touch any metal part on the e61 it will be hot . The thing turns very easy ...

Edited by DavecUK

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I now have one too.

It seems to be a v2 (smaller, round knob) and in the "Whole Latte Love" video they said the v2 should be able to shut off the flow completely.

Therfore I was expecting to be able to stop the flow completely, but mine does not/is not able to do that. It does slow down the flow, or decreases the volume per second (if measured without puck and only boilerpressure). I already contacted ECM via e-mail, but so far I got no response whatsoever. So - are there other units able to shut down the flow completely? (I set the pressure to test it at boiler pressure only...)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, tohenk2 said:

I now have one too.

It seems to be a v2 (smaller, round knob) and in the "Whole Latte Love" video they said the v2 should be able to shut off the flow completely.

Therfore I was expecting to be able to stop the flow completely, but mine does not/is not able to do that. It does slow down the flow, or decreases the volume per second (if measured without puck and only boilerpressure). I already contacted ECM via e-mail, but so far I got no response whatsoever. So - are there other units able to shut down the flow completely? (I set the pressure to test it at boiler pressure only...)

 

You should be able to set it so it turns off completely, if you unscrew the round black knob, you can lift the top part of the flow control device, turn it all the way to the right making sure it isn't completely touching the main body of the E61 mushroom before you tighten the knob again (it can help if you place a piece of paper in the gap while you do this)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can i ask a numb nut question please 😁. Watched a YouTube video about flow control pre infusion this is the daft bit what is different if i switch flow on for a few seconds and switch off again. It still puts water in but not controlled later in the shot

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Border_all said:

Can i ask a numb nut question please 😁. Watched a YouTube video about flow control pre infusion this is the daft bit what is different if i switch flow on for a few seconds and switch off again. It still puts water in but not controlled later in the shot

Yes you can do that but you have to be careful you don't lower the lever completely as that will empty the pre-infusion chamber in the group and possibly disrupt the coffee puck, ruining the extraction. You need to lower it to just the midway position where the pump has only just turned off (so the switch behind the E61 lever is no longer engaged).

But with that method the flow rate is still the stock flow (~7.5ml/sec for my Profitec vibe pump E61). With the flow control you can reduce the flow to <1ml/sec where you can do a Slayer style pre-infusion of 20-30 seconds+ for example. 

I like having mine to play with and I have had some fantastic 60+ second shots using lighter roasted coffee, but most of the time for medium/dark roasted coffees I just use it set to the stock flow rate. It's another variable to control and can sometimes over complicate things a bit. I find the stock pre-infusion from the E61 group is perfectly fine for most beans I've tried.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tohenk2 said:

I now have one too.

It seems to be a v2 (smaller, round knob) and in the "Whole Latte Love" video they said the v2 should be able to shut off the flow completely.

Therfore I was expecting to be able to stop the flow completely, but mine does not/is not able to do that. It does slow down the flow, or decreases the volume per second (if measured without puck and only boilerpressure). I already contacted ECM via e-mail, but so far I got no response whatsoever. So - are there other units able to shut down the flow completely? (I set the pressure to test it at boiler pressure only...)

 

Whole Latte Love refer to this as calibrating the flow control device. They have a video or two on it but essentially as above, you need to remove the top section as it bottoms out against the top of the mushroom valve.

Once removed, you can turn the pin all the way in to shut off the flow and then reinstall the top section with a thin card (like a playing card) between the top section of the device and the top of the mushroom so you’re sure it’ll never bottom out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jscott said:

Yes you can do that but you have to be careful you don't lower the lever completely as that will empty the pre-infusion chamber in the group and possibly disrupt the coffee puck, ruining the extraction. You need to lower it to just the midway position where the pump has only just turned off (so the switch behind the E61 lever is no longer engaged).

But with that method the flow rate is still the stock flow (~7.5ml/sec for my Profitec vibe pump E61). With the flow control you can reduce the flow to <1ml/sec where you can do a Slayer style pre-infusion of 20-30 seconds+ for example. 

I like having mine to play with and I have had some fantastic 60+ second shots using lighter roasted coffee, but most of the time for medium/dark roasted coffees I just use it set to the stock flow rate. It's another variable to control and can sometimes over complicate things a bit. I find the stock pre-infusion from the E61 group is perfectly fine for most beans I've tried.

Many thanks. I think that has answered my question very well I admit i am not a big fan of light roasts. I have also ordered a temp gauge for the head so probably short of space in any case 👍

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You don’t necessarily need the group pressure gauge to use the kit effectively. It’s flow profiling, not pressure which is slightly different.

Once you’ve established your machine’s flow at different lever positions, the gauge is kind of redundant. 

Still looks swish though, just wish they’d do a group gauge that matches the Synchronika. Kind of sucks there isn’t one, I want matchy matchy!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, B-Roadie said:

You don’t necessarily need the group pressure gauge to use the kit effectively. It’s flow profiling, not pressure which is slightly different.

Once you’ve established your machine’s flow at different lever positions, the gauge is kind of redundant. 

Still looks swish though, just wish they’d do a group gauge that matches the Synchronika. Kind of sucks there isn’t one, I want matchy matchy!

The temperature gauge is not what i call attractive if as time with the machine goes on i get just a feel for it i might remove it. Always options 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Border_all said:

The temperature gauge is not what i call attractive if as time with the machine goes on i get just a feel for it i might remove it. Always options 👍

Not attractive but a very useful tool! A must on an HX in my opinion. I even had one installed on my dual boiler for a while to get to grips with how long the group takes to fully heat up (40 minutes, even though the manual says 15 minutes... No chance!)

Once you get to grips with how your machine runs you could probably remove it, but I think the thermometer is more useful than a pressure guage for an HX, even with the flow control device. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...