Coffee Shops in Birmingham, England

Tilt, Faculty, 200 degrees by Snow hill is good if you want some food too. Further aboard there's Bloom in Kings Heath. Do you live in city centre or outboard? Can probably suggest some others based on where you actually are.

Edited by Cooffe
  • Like 1

Bora Coffee in Shirley serves excellent espresso and pour over. They sell their own beans too, their Bora Blend is my day to day hero (£25/Kg). I quite like that they are passionate about ethically sourcing their coffee too. It's the other side of Birmingham from Bournville but if you are ever near Solihull then definitely pop in.  https://www.boracoffee.com/

Great news Drellis.

I'm going to John Lewis in the next couple of weeks in Solihull and I just looked on Google Maps and Bora's only 9 minutes drive away.

Will definitely visit there.

Thanks

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, ratty said:

Great news Drellis.

I'm going to John Lewis in the next couple of weeks in Solihull and I just looked on Google Maps and Bora's only 9 minutes drive away.

Will definitely visit there.

Thanks

If you can't find parking on the shop front then there is a pay and display (free for up to 1 hour) behind Iceland, entrance is at the end of Solihull Road where it meets Stratford Road ? Enjoy!

• Like 1

Birmingham is home to many fine independent coffee shops. Faculty, Tilt, Wayland's Yard, 200 Degrees, Quarter Horse, 6/8 Kafe too name a few, oh and then there's York's which roast on site, Java Lounge, Urban Cafe , Ngopi and many more. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Cooffe said:

I don't get along with Bora... it's a 2 min walk from me as well

Fair enough. Any particular reason? That's the beauty of coffee I guess, it's all about personal preference. We must be pretty close as I am only in Hall Green.

5 hours ago, E404 said:

Birmingham is home to many fine independent coffee shops. Faculty, Tilt, Wayland's Yard, 200 Degrees, Quarter Horse, 6/8 Kafe too name a few, oh and then there's York's which roast on site, Java Lounge, Urban Cafe , Ngopi and many more. 

This is a comprehensive list, but... 200 Degrees isn’t independent. I also happen to think it’s the worst out of that list, but that’s just me.

I slightly favour Ngopi at the moment, followed by Wayland’s Yard, and then Faculty. But on any given day I could swap those names around.

Decent DE1XL ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

32 minutes ago, filthynines said:

This is a comprehensive list, but... 200 Degrees isn’t independent. I also happen to think it’s the worst out of that list, but that’s just me.

I slightly favour Ngopi at the moment, followed by Wayland’s Yard, and then Faculty. But on any given day I could swap those names around.

Why do you say 200 degrees is not an independent? 

1 hour ago, E404 said:

They’ve chained it. It’s in Nottingham and there’s 2x in Birmingham now. I think the one opposite faculty is the original.

4 hours ago, Drellis said:

Fair enough. Any particular reason? That's the beauty of coffee I guess, it's all about personal preference. We must be pretty close as I am only in Hall Green.

Haha yeah probably. They used to be good when they first opened and then it just deteriorated. Their beans have all been like 3-4 weeks old when I’ve been in. I had some funny looks when I started talking about Solihull BID too in there as if to say I wasn’t welcome.

I looked at a flat in a hall green by the kwik-fit. We live down by the Sainsbury’s and jag garage now though.

50 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

They’ve chained it. It’s in Nottingham and there’s 2x in Birmingham now. I think the one opposite faculty is the original.

Haha yeah probably. They used to be good when they first opened and then it just deteriorated. Their beans have all been like 3-4 weeks old when I’ve been in. I had some funny looks when I started talking about Solihull BID too in there as if to say I wasn’t welcome.

I looked at a flat in a hall green by the kwik-fit. We live down by the Sainsbury’s and jag garage now though.

Yes I agree, I find the 250g bags are at least 3 to 4 weeks from roasting which I try to avoid. The 1 Kg bags have a pretty good turnover and are often roasted only a few days before. If you ever want to go halves on a 1 Kg bag give me a shout and I can drop it round.  

16 hours ago, E404 said:

Tilt is also good for beer. York's I'm not keen, their retail beans were all over a few weeks old when I went. Java lounge is a chain - the one in the business park is better in Shirley, can't comment on Ngopi. Have had a couple bad espressos from Quarter horse. Further afield there's under pressure in Sutton Coldfield which I quite enjoyed a fruity espresso at. 

7 hours ago, Drellis said:

Yes I agree, I find the 250g bags are at least 3 to 4 weeks from roasting which I try to avoid. The 1 Kg bags have a pretty good turnover and are often roasted only a few days before. If you ever want to go halves on a 1 Kg bag give me a shout and I can drop it round.  

Cheers, I've just never gotten on with them really. Last time I ran it was through my Barista Express though, maybe I should give it another shot. The food at Bora is great though, the vegan and gluten free options are extensive and I was speaking to the baker and he genuinely has a passion for it (apparently was a teacher for 30 or so years!). Give me a shout if you're around by me and you can pop in for a coffee or something :)

10 hours ago, E404 said:

The small matter of a £3 million investment. https://www.foresightgroup.eu/news/foresight-invests-3m-in-coffee-roaster-200-degrees/

The original 200 Degs was Nottingham. The first in Birmingham was the one on Colmore Row, and the one near Faculty is a recent addition.

Coffee by the Casuals

33 minutes ago, filthynines said:

The small matter of a £3 million investment. https://www.foresightgroup.eu/news/foresight-invests-3m-in-coffee-roaster-200-degrees/

The original 200 Degs was Nottingham. The first in Birmingham was the one on Colmore Row, and the one near Faculty is a recent addition.

I am aware of this already but they still claim to be independent both on their website and on the link you have provided if you read through it. You could claim that Wayland's Yard is not independent too or Urban Coffee or Quarter Horse for that matter as they are not stand alone businesses. Anyway it's not about the semantics of it or business structures I was just trying to provide a list of what I consider to be independent coffee shops for the OP.

For what it's worth I rate Faculty the best, they use Square Mile beans and I agree with the other comments on stale beans at both York's and 200 degrees. I bought some espresso recently from Wayland's Yard who are supplied by Method Roasters in Worcester, incidentally, where their first coffee shop is located, and they were very tasty, and fresh, bags have roast date on.

Happy Christmas one and all.

19 hours ago, Drellis said:

If you can't find parking on the shop front then there is a pay and display (free for up to 1 hour) behind Iceland, entrance is at the end of Solihull Road where it meets Stratford Road ? Enjoy!

Is it not free for 3 hours any more? Failing that, could just park in the Asda car park and walk over.

@E404 They can call themselves what they like, they're not independent. They're funded by venture capital. Why do you have a problem with that characterisation?

I don't understand why you'd put Wayland's Yard in the same bucket? I'm not saying they're not independent because they're a chain (that's what Cooffe implied), I'm saying they're not independent because they've had a humungous investment of outside capital. I know nothing of Urban Coffee, but why would you say Quarter Horse is not a "stand alone" business?

Edited by filthynines

Coffee by the Casuals

In 2015/6 QH ran two shops, one in Oxford hence not stand alone.

I joined this forum to disengage my brain not to get into a debate. It's just coffee to me. 

I tried to assist with a list of independent coffee shops which I did.

Carry on, I've left the thread.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@filthynines I was just looking around on the forum and came across this post.  I can assure you that we are still independent, the investment had zero impact on the daily operations of 200, they just make sure we aren't wasting their investment.  It is still a small roastery operation with just 5 of us on the floor and we are still trying to find our identity in the UK market.  I would like to encourage you to give us another try seeing as how since this post we've got a new roaster, a Loring, and it has transformed our beans!  None the less I hope you enjoy your coffee wherever you get it from!

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Alex.Spamps said:

@filthynines I was just looking around on the forum and came across this post.  I can assure you that we are still independent, the investment had zero impact on the daily operations of 200, they just make sure we aren't wasting their investment.  It is still a small roastery operation with just 5 of us on the floor and we are still trying to find our identity in the UK market.  I would like to encourage you to give us another try seeing as how since this post we've got a new roaster, a Loring, and it has transformed our beans!  None the less I hope you enjoy your coffee wherever you get it from!

Hi Alex - thanks for coming to add to the discussion.

Without trying to be too blunt: How do you reconcile taking millions of pounds of VC money with status as an independent coffee shop? Where is the line between 200Degs and, for example, Starbucks? You both have external investors; it’s just that one has a share capital more liquid than the other.

I’ll give your coffee another go in that basis - but I’m not sure you’ll persuade me you’re still in independent territory.

Coffee by the Casuals

How much robusta is in your house blend these days, it feels like something changed in the blend a couple of years ago? I haven’t been to the Leicester one for ages but leicester coffee house and coffee counters offering was far superior in terms of quality in the cup than yours and when you first opened I felt you were on par with what they are offering now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@filthynines It's a valid point, I guess for me it's the fact that the owners who started the company still own the company and have full authority in the company.  Our ethos hasn't changed, our goals have only improved, and our desire to help people enjoy coffee has only increased.  I see us as a "gateway" coffee shop, we split the difference between the big chains that are all about turn over and the little shops that can sometimes only seat 4 or 5 but care deeply about the coffee.  We try and get people from the first more towards the second.  Thank you for giving our shops another try that's all that I can hope for.  At the end of the day, our coffee isn't for everyone and that's ok!

@KTD The only things that have really changed are the roaster itself.  We ran our previous roaster into the ground and it was difficult to control and therefore we weren't 100 percent pleased with our blend.  We've now upgraded to a beautiful Loring and it has transformed our house blend, all of our coffee really.  Far more control and consistentcy and an overall sweetness and cleaness from the roast.  The blend is still exactally the same but the our new fancy roaster has improved it massively!

• Like 1