Jump to content

Coffee Shops in Birmingham, England


Recommended Posts

Tilt, Faculty, 200 degrees by Snow hill is good if you want some food too. Further aboard there's Bloom in Kings Heath. Do you live in city centre or outboard? Can probably suggest some others based on where you actually are.

Edited by Cooffe
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bora Coffee in Shirley serves excellent espresso and pour over. They sell their own beans too, their Bora Blend is my day to day hero (£25/Kg). I quite like that they are passionate about ethically sourcing their coffee too. It's the other side of Birmingham from Bournville but if you are ever near Solihull then definitely pop in.  https://www.boracoffee.com/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great news Drellis.

I'm going to John Lewis in the next couple of weeks in Solihull and I just looked on Google Maps and Bora's only 9 minutes drive away.

Will definitely visit there.

Thanks

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ratty said:

Great news Drellis.

I'm going to John Lewis in the next couple of weeks in Solihull and I just looked on Google Maps and Bora's only 9 minutes drive away.

Will definitely visit there.

Thanks

If you can't find parking on the shop front then there is a pay and display (free for up to 1 hour) behind Iceland, entrance is at the end of Solihull Road where it meets Stratford Road ? Enjoy!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Birmingham is home to many fine independent coffee shops. Faculty, Tilt, Wayland's Yard, 200 Degrees, Quarter Horse, 6/8 Kafe too name a few, oh and then there's York's which roast on site, Java Lounge, Urban Cafe , Ngopi and many more. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cooffe said:

I don't get along with Bora... it's a 2 min walk from me as well

Fair enough. Any particular reason? That's the beauty of coffee I guess, it's all about personal preference. We must be pretty close as I am only in Hall Green.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, E404 said:

Birmingham is home to many fine independent coffee shops. Faculty, Tilt, Wayland's Yard, 200 Degrees, Quarter Horse, 6/8 Kafe too name a few, oh and then there's York's which roast on site, Java Lounge, Urban Cafe , Ngopi and many more. 

This is a comprehensive list, but... 200 Degrees isn’t independent. I also happen to think it’s the worst out of that list, but that’s just me.

I slightly favour Ngopi at the moment, followed by Wayland’s Yard, and then Faculty. But on any given day I could swap those names around.

Decent DE1XL ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, filthynines said:

This is a comprehensive list, but... 200 Degrees isn’t independent. I also happen to think it’s the worst out of that list, but that’s just me.

I slightly favour Ngopi at the moment, followed by Wayland’s Yard, and then Faculty. But on any given day I could swap those names around.

Why do you say 200 degrees is not an independent? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, E404 said:

Why do you say 200 degrees is not an independent? 

They’ve chained it. It’s in Nottingham and there’s 2x in Birmingham now. I think the one opposite faculty is the original.

4 hours ago, Drellis said:

Fair enough. Any particular reason? That's the beauty of coffee I guess, it's all about personal preference. We must be pretty close as I am only in Hall Green.

Haha yeah probably. They used to be good when they first opened and then it just deteriorated. Their beans have all been like 3-4 weeks old when I’ve been in. I had some funny looks when I started talking about Solihull BID too in there as if to say I wasn’t welcome.

I looked at a flat in a hall green by the kwik-fit. We live down by the Sainsbury’s and jag garage now though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

They’ve chained it. It’s in Nottingham and there’s 2x in Birmingham now. I think the one opposite faculty is the original.

Haha yeah probably. They used to be good when they first opened and then it just deteriorated. Their beans have all been like 3-4 weeks old when I’ve been in. I had some funny looks when I started talking about Solihull BID too in there as if to say I wasn’t welcome.

I looked at a flat in a hall green by the kwik-fit. We live down by the Sainsbury’s and jag garage now though.

Yes I agree, I find the 250g bags are at least 3 to 4 weeks from roasting which I try to avoid. The 1 Kg bags have a pretty good turnover and are often roasted only a few days before. If you ever want to go halves on a 1 Kg bag give me a shout and I can drop it round.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, E404 said:

Birmingham is home to many fine independent coffee shops. Faculty, Tilt, Wayland's Yard, 200 Degrees, Quarter Horse, 6/8 Kafe too name a few, oh and then there's York's which roast on site, Java Lounge, Urban Cafe , Ngopi and many more. 

Tilt is also good for beer. York's I'm not keen, their retail beans were all over a few weeks old when I went. Java lounge is a chain - the one in the business park is better in Shirley, can't comment on Ngopi. Have had a couple bad espressos from Quarter horse. Further afield there's under pressure in Sutton Coldfield which I quite enjoyed a fruity espresso at. 

7 hours ago, Drellis said:

Yes I agree, I find the 250g bags are at least 3 to 4 weeks from roasting which I try to avoid. The 1 Kg bags have a pretty good turnover and are often roasted only a few days before. If you ever want to go halves on a 1 Kg bag give me a shout and I can drop it round.  

Cheers, I've just never gotten on with them really. Last time I ran it was through my Barista Express though, maybe I should give it another shot. The food at Bora is great though, the vegan and gluten free options are extensive and I was speaking to the baker and he genuinely has a passion for it (apparently was a teacher for 30 or so years!). Give me a shout if you're around by me and you can pop in for a coffee or something :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, E404 said:

Why do you say 200 degrees is not an independent? 

The small matter of a £3 million investment. https://www.foresightgroup.eu/news/foresight-invests-3m-in-coffee-roaster-200-degrees/

The original 200 Degs was Nottingham. The first in Birmingham was the one on Colmore Row, and the one near Faculty is a recent addition.

Decent DE1XL ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, filthynines said:

The small matter of a £3 million investment. https://www.foresightgroup.eu/news/foresight-invests-3m-in-coffee-roaster-200-degrees/

The original 200 Degs was Nottingham. The first in Birmingham was the one on Colmore Row, and the one near Faculty is a recent addition.

I am aware of this already but they still claim to be independent both on their website and on the link you have provided if you read through it. You could claim that Wayland's Yard is not independent too or Urban Coffee or Quarter Horse for that matter as they are not stand alone businesses. Anyway it's not about the semantics of it or business structures I was just trying to provide a list of what I consider to be independent coffee shops for the OP.

For what it's worth I rate Faculty the best, they use Square Mile beans and I agree with the other comments on stale beans at both York's and 200 degrees. I bought some espresso recently from Wayland's Yard who are supplied by Method Roasters in Worcester, incidentally, where their first coffee shop is located, and they were very tasty, and fresh, bags have roast date on.

Happy Christmas one and all.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Drellis said:

If you can't find parking on the shop front then there is a pay and display (free for up to 1 hour) behind Iceland, entrance is at the end of Solihull Road where it meets Stratford Road ? Enjoy!

Is it not free for 3 hours any more? Failing that, could just park in the Asda car park and walk over.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@E404 They can call themselves what they like, they're not independent. They're funded by venture capital. Why do you have a problem with that characterisation?

I don't understand why you'd put Wayland's Yard in the same bucket? I'm not saying they're not independent because they're a chain (that's what Cooffe implied), I'm saying they're not independent because they've had a humungous investment of outside capital. I know nothing of Urban Coffee, but why would you say Quarter Horse is not a "stand alone" business?

 

Edited by filthynines

Decent DE1XL ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2015/6 QH ran two shops, one in Oxford hence not stand alone.

I joined this forum to disengage my brain not to get into a debate. It's just coffee to me. 

I tried to assist with a list of independent coffee shops which I did.

Carry on, I've left the thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@filthynines I was just looking around on the forum and came across this post.  I can assure you that we are still independent, the investment had zero impact on the daily operations of 200, they just make sure we aren't wasting their investment.  It is still a small roastery operation with just 5 of us on the floor and we are still trying to find our identity in the UK market.  I would like to encourage you to give us another try seeing as how since this post we've got a new roaster, a Loring, and it has transformed our beans!  None the less I hope you enjoy your coffee wherever you get it from!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alex.Spamps said:

@filthynines I was just looking around on the forum and came across this post.  I can assure you that we are still independent, the investment had zero impact on the daily operations of 200, they just make sure we aren't wasting their investment.  It is still a small roastery operation with just 5 of us on the floor and we are still trying to find our identity in the UK market.  I would like to encourage you to give us another try seeing as how since this post we've got a new roaster, a Loring, and it has transformed our beans!  None the less I hope you enjoy your coffee wherever you get it from!

Hi Alex - thanks for coming to add to the discussion.
 

Without trying to be too blunt: How do you reconcile taking millions of pounds of VC money with status as an independent coffee shop? Where is the line between 200Degs and, for example, Starbucks? You both have external investors; it’s just that one has a share capital more liquid than the other.

I’ll give your coffee another go in that basis - but I’m not sure you’ll persuade me you’re still in independent territory.

Decent DE1XL ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Link to post
Share on other sites
@filthynines I was just looking around on the forum and came across this post.  I can assure you that we are still independent, the investment had zero impact on the daily operations of 200, they just make sure we aren't wasting their investment.  It is still a small roastery operation with just 5 of us on the floor and we are still trying to find our identity in the UK market.  I would like to encourage you to give us another try seeing as how since this post we've got a new roaster, a Loring, and it has transformed our beans!  None the less I hope you enjoy your coffee wherever you get it from!

How much robusta is in your house blend these days, it feels like something changed in the blend a couple of years ago? I haven’t been to the Leicester one for ages but leicester coffee house and coffee counters offering was far superior in terms of quality in the cup than yours and when you first opened I felt you were on par with what they are offering now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites

@filthynines It's a valid point, I guess for me it's the fact that the owners who started the company still own the company and have full authority in the company.  Our ethos hasn't changed, our goals have only improved, and our desire to help people enjoy coffee has only increased.  I see us as a "gateway" coffee shop, we split the difference between the big chains that are all about turn over and the little shops that can sometimes only seat 4 or 5 but care deeply about the coffee.  We try and get people from the first more towards the second.  Thank you for giving our shops another try that's all that I can hope for.  At the end of the day, our coffee isn't for everyone and that's ok!

 

@KTD The only things that have really changed are the roaster itself.  We ran our previous roaster into the ground and it was difficult to control and therefore we weren't 100 percent pleased with our blend.  We've now upgraded to a beautiful Loring and it has transformed our house blend, all of our coffee really.  Far more control and consistentcy and an overall sweetness and cleaness from the roast.  The blend is still exactally the same but the our new fancy roaster has improved it massively!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

     

    coffee-subscription-mini.png

    Become a friend of CFUK
    Buy Us A Monthly Coffee (massive thank you!) 

     

    Donate / Sponsor

    Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png



    Coffee Forums Logo
     

×
×
  • Create New...