IGNORED

Funnel for Barista Pro

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

£250 for some scales!? I'm definitely not at that level yet, that's nearly half the price of my whole coffee machine! Madness... I'll try find something more aimed at beginners for now ?

Try a yogurt pot cut and modify to suit  ?

Yeah the problem with lots of these solutions is that I don't want a piece of yogurt pot or an old milk carton sat next to my shiny new coffee machine. I just want a nice metal funnel that fits proper

Posted Images

I’ve reduced the mess significantly by grinding in to a small milk jug, I can then stir out any clumps, using my trusty unwound paper clip, before pouring in to the portafilter (which I do over a plastic takeaway tray to catch any overspill).

It’s simple to manually press the grinder switch before putting the container below the chute to catch the grinds as there is a delay from pressing the switch to grinds appearing.

My experience is the 54mm portafilter makes dosing at 18g very messy, even impossible, if you’re grinding straight in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 17/12/2019 at 11:34, Saltydog said:

Try a yogurt pot cut and modify to suit  ?

Yeah the problem with lots of these solutions is that I don't want a piece of yogurt pot or an old milk carton sat next to my shiny new coffee machine. I just want a nice metal funnel that fits properly and works well

Yeah the problem with lots of these solutions is that I don't want a piece of yogurt pot or an old milk carton sat next to my shiny new coffee machine. I just want a nice metal funnel that fits properly and works well
Have you considered getting one specially made? There are a few peeps with lathes on the forum who may take on a commission.
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, THR_Crema said:

This is the setup I’ve adopted. Grind into a rhino ware cup and then this allows ,e to give the grinds a shake before pouring into the funnel & portafilter.

Would this be useful to you?  @Sharlstonowl @alex13p

78777F9B-3125-45E4-B1F0-688ED3C2D6E0.thumb.jpeg.24b9c4c79dd3f85cddf8f2224eaa98ce.jpegD2AD9A56-5F29-4C56-A4DF-1CD7799A1051.thumb.jpeg.88021f538033ccadc18199202723ba15.jpeg

Ah that's a neater solution for sure, although I'm still having trouble getting over not using the machine in its intended way :classic_laugh:

I think till I find a funnel that fits whilst dosing straight into the cup, this might have to be the way.

Neat scales by the way, where did you get them?

9 minutes ago, alex13p said:

Ah that's a neater solution for sure, although I'm still having trouble getting over not using the machine in its intended way :classic_laugh:

I think till I find a funnel that fits whilst dosing straight into the cup, this might have to be the way.

Neat scales by the way, where did you get them?

Thanks. I’ve been trying to find a solution but haven’t found anything yet - a bespoke handmade solution maybe the answer.

The scales are simply amazing and helped transform my extraction. They are the Acaia Lunar scales - quite a few UK coffee places selling them online now. I shopped around but mainly sit at the same price. 

On 19/12/2019 at 22:09, THR_Crema said:

This is the setup I’ve adopted. Grind into a rhino ware cup and then this allows ,e to give the grinds a shake before pouring into the funnel & portafilter.

Would this be useful to you?  @Sharlstonowl @alex13p

78777F9B-3125-45E4-B1F0-688ED3C2D6E0.thumb.jpeg.24b9c4c79dd3f85cddf8f2224eaa98ce.jpegD2AD9A56-5F29-4C56-A4DF-1CD7799A1051.thumb.jpeg.88021f538033ccadc18199202723ba15.jpeg

I agree with Alex that this is a neat solution but It does add an extra step into the process. Surely there is a gap in the market for anyone who can engineer a type of funnel for the express and pro and any other of the Sage line up that has the same grinder?

I agree with Alex that this is a neat solution but It does add an extra step into the process. Surely there is a gap in the market for anyone who can engineer a type of funnel for the express and pro and any other of the Sage line up that has the same grinder?
Maybe ask @Nicknak if he can make you something to suit? Think he works in metal as well as wood.
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, Sharlstonowl said:

Thank you. I’d love a neater solution that fits on top while you grind and I was looking again this afternoon at how best to achieve one.

I might upgrade my cup to one that fits in the holder and can activate the button.

Sadly I think it’s out of my skill level and can’t find anything pre existing on the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a 3D print project on the internet for a funnel for the sage portafilter. Got a friend to print one off and it works great! Fits over the prongs and sits on top, rather than the funnel going into the basket, meaning you can tamp with the funnel still on top.

Only downside is it doesn't fit on the portafilter in the grinder holder, so you have to grind into a pot (I use an espresso cup now) and the pour into the funnel/portafilter. Upside I've found to this though is you can use a toothpick in the espresso cup to break up any clumps that have formed before pouring into basket.

It's definitely helped with getting a more consistent, evenly pulled coffee.

IMG_20200105_102722.jpg