Jump to content
catpuccino

A winter bean exchange! ?

Recommended Posts

I saw this idea on Reddit and thought it would be good to steal.

Would anyone be interested in joining a "bean exchange"? Many of us live near to roasters and/or many of us have favourite roasters.

The idea is to be paired at random with another forum member and send each other 1 x 250g of our choosing. Ideally something that showcases what's happening in your area (e.g. in my case I might chose to send something from one of Edinburgh's roasters) or just a favourite roaster, origin, etc that you think someone else would like to experience. 

Seems a fun thing to do, and a way to pick up a bag of coffee we might not otherwise do. If we can support some small businesses along the way, even better. 

My simple proposal for how it would work is:

  1. Comment below between now and Sunday December 15th 8pm saying you're in
  2. I'll randomly pair members after that date
  3. Paired members can then PM each other to exchange postal details to keep things nice and private
  4. Maximum spend of ~ 1 x 250g bag + p&p 
  5. Aim for all bags to be delivered by the end of December

The only caveat I'd suggest is that for it to be worthwhile I'd hope to get minimum 8-10 people involved?

  • Like 2

Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d be up for it.

Although I’m pretty new to the coffee world so whoever gets paired with me.....unlucky !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 That's 3 of us. Who else is up for it? ?


Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This idea exists. It's called Third Wave Wichteln. They've been doing it for years. 

Not saying don't do your own, but it's far from Reddit's idea. 


Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This idea exists. It's called Third Wave Wichteln. They've been doing it for years. 

Not saying don't do your own, but it's far from Reddit's idea. 

Think this year's Wichteln has been delayed until the new year to try & avoid coffee getting delayed/lost in the Christmas post. Had a very nice microlot last year but nothing the year before.

 


Laissez les bons temps rouler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, aaronb said:

This idea exists. It's called Third Wave Wichteln. They've been doing it for years. 

Not saying don't do your own, but it's far from Reddit's idea. 

Never seen that before, looks great. I was being glib when I said Reddit's idea, but specifically r/espresso are doing one this year which is what I saw. 


Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a bit too tricky for me to get onboard this month but I'd definitely be up for it in the future. :)

  • Like 1

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ashcroc said:

Think this year's Wichteln has been delayed until the new year to try & avoid coffee getting delayed/lost in the Christmas post. Had a very nice microlot last year but nothing the year before.

 

That's a shame but makes sense based on all the issues that got posted to the group. I got nothing last year and never saw a post about what I sent arriving, but successful both ways for the few years before that so wont let it put me off.

Edited by aaronb

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to be considered too!

I would like to be able to travel to a roaster and pick up beans but I haven't found anywhere yet in the Coventry area. I think Leamington Spa is about the nearest and that's about as far from me as Birmingham is, (20 odd miles!)

It doesn't seem quite right ordering online, any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, ratty said:

I'd like to be considered too!

I would like to be able to travel to a roaster and pick up beans but I haven't found anywhere yet in the Coventry area. I think Leamington Spa is about the nearest and that's about as far from me as Birmingham is, (20 odd miles!)

It doesn't seem quite right ordering online, any thoughts?

Bean and Leaf in Coventry City Centre. Some decent stuff there. 


1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, filthynines said:

Bean and Leaf in Coventry City Centre. Some decent stuff there. 

I thought that they stocked Caravan Coffee? Surely the idea of this is to get coffee from a local roaster. West Midlands I can think of Quarter Horse & Yorks (wasn't too impressed with theirs though)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will keep on looking.

Apparently there's a coffee shop in Coventry market, "Ed's Coffee Shop".

Never been there and don't know the set up. Think they're in Brum too?

Guees they don't roast on Cov Market!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ratty said:

I'd like to be considered too!

I would like to be able to travel to a roaster and pick up beans but I haven't found anywhere yet in the Coventry area. I think Leamington Spa is about the nearest and that's about as far from me as Birmingham is, (20 odd miles!)

It doesn't seem quite right ordering online, any thoughts?

If people want to join and there are no roasters on your doorstep then a next-best sounds good to me, e.g. have delivered from somewhere nearby or just a favourite bean from a favourite roaster. Interpret it loosely :)

  • Like 1

Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

I thought that they stocked Caravan Coffee? Surely the idea of this is to get coffee from a local roaster. West Midlands I can think of Quarter Horse & Yorks (wasn't too impressed with theirs though)

They stock a rotation of beans, but you're right - they don't roast their own. I think @catpuccino has since addressed this. 

Since you're Birmingham based I strongly recommend you give Ngopi a try. It's city centre. 


1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, filthynines said:

They stock a rotation of beans, but you're right - they don't roast their own. I think @catpuccino has since addressed this. 

Since you're Birmingham based I strongly recommend you give Ngopi a try. It's city centre. 

Is Ngopi down by the DVLA Test centre? I think I've walked past it a few times. Birmingham wise I always go to Tilt or Faculty - they're the best B'ham has to offer in the city centre imho. Will give Ngopi a try though on your recommendation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Is Ngopi down by the DVLA Test centre? I think I've walked past it a few times. Birmingham wise I always go to Tilt or Faculty - they're the best B'ham has to offer in the city centre imho. Will give Ngopi a try though on your recommendation.

That’s the one! You won’t be disappointed. I drove past dozens of times thinking it was gimmick, but they do great stuff from a Slayer machine. I think all beans are direct trade...


1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be up for it. Although we are fairly limited on roasters around here.

Is it acceptable to send my favourites regardless of where they are roasted? 

Mind you,..., Bristol is 35 miles so not impossible if that counts as local.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, paul whu said:

I would be up for it. Although we are fairly limited on roasters around here.

Is it acceptable to send my favourites regardless of where they are roasted? 

Mind you,..., Bristol is 35 miles so not impossible if that counts as local.

 

Absolutely! 


Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did this happen? Or...Is it going to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think so. Although haven't heard anything

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys my apologies for dropping the ball with this. Got a little overwhelmed over new years with marking and other miserable things. 

Wonder if there'd be further interest if we kicked it off in Jan...


Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use.

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

    Donate / Sponsor

    Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png

×
×
  • Create New...