catpuccino

A winter bean exchange! ?

I saw this idea on Reddit and thought it would be good to steal.

Would anyone be interested in joining a "bean exchange"? Many of us live near to roasters and/or many of us have favourite roasters.

The idea is to be paired at random with another forum member and send each other 1 x 250g of our choosing. Ideally something that showcases what's happening in your area (e.g. in my case I might chose to send something from one of Edinburgh's roasters) or just a favourite roaster, origin, etc that you think someone else would like to experience. 

Seems a fun thing to do, and a way to pick up a bag of coffee we might not otherwise do. If we can support some small businesses along the way, even better. 

My simple proposal for how it would work is:

1. Comment below between now and Sunday December 15th 8pm saying you're in
  2. I'll randomly pair members after that date
  3. Paired members can then PM each other to exchange postal details to keep things nice and private
  4. Maximum spend of ~ 1 x 250g bag + p&p 
  5. Aim for all bags to be delivered by the end of December

The only caveat I'd suggest is that for it to be worthwhile I'd hope to get minimum 8-10 people involved?

• Like 2

Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

I’d be up for it.

Although I’m pretty new to the coffee world so whoever gets paired with me.....unlucky !

• Like 1

That's 3 of us. Who else is up for it? ?

This idea exists. It's called Third Wave Wichteln. They've been doing it for years. 

Not saying don't do your own, but it's far from Reddit's idea. 

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

This idea exists. It's called Third Wave Wichteln. They've been doing it for years. 

Think this year's Wichteln has been delayed until the new year to try & avoid coffee getting delayed/lost in the Christmas post. Had a very nice microlot last year but nothing the year before.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

21 minutes ago, aaronb said:

Never seen that before, looks great. I was being glib when I said Reddit's idea, but specifically r/espresso are doing one this year which is what I saw. 

It's a bit too tricky for me to get onboard this month but I'd definitely be up for it in the future. :)

• Like 1

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

3 hours ago, ashcroc said:

Think this year's Wichteln has been delayed until the new year to try & avoid coffee getting delayed/lost in the Christmas post. Had a very nice microlot last year but nothing the year before.

That's a shame but makes sense based on all the issues that got posted to the group. I got nothing last year and never saw a post about what I sent arriving, but successful both ways for the few years before that so wont let it put me off.

Edited by aaronb

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

I'd like to be considered too!

I would like to be able to travel to a roaster and pick up beans but I haven't found anywhere yet in the Coventry area. I think Leamington Spa is about the nearest and that's about as far from me as Birmingham is, (20 odd miles!)

It doesn't seem quite right ordering online, any thoughts?

51 minutes ago, ratty said:

I would like to be able to travel to a roaster and pick up beans but I haven't found anywhere yet in the Coventry area. I think Leamington Spa is about the nearest and that's about as far from me as Birmingham is, (20 odd miles!)

Bean and Leaf in Coventry City Centre. Some decent stuff there. 

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

10 minutes ago, filthynines said:

Bean and Leaf in Coventry City Centre. Some decent stuff there. 

I thought that they stocked Caravan Coffee? Surely the idea of this is to get coffee from a local roaster. West Midlands I can think of Quarter Horse & Yorks (wasn't too impressed with theirs though)

• Like 1

Will keep on looking.

Apparently there's a coffee shop in Coventry market, "Ed's Coffee Shop".

Never been there and don't know the set up. Think they're in Brum too?

Guees they don't roast on Cov Market!

1 hour ago, ratty said:

If people want to join and there are no roasters on your doorstep then a next-best sounds good to me, e.g. have delivered from somewhere nearby or just a favourite bean from a favourite roaster. Interpret it loosely :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

I thought that they stocked Caravan Coffee? Surely the idea of this is to get coffee from a local roaster. West Midlands I can think of Quarter Horse & Yorks (wasn't too impressed with theirs though)

They stock a rotation of beans, but you're right - they don't roast their own. I think @catpuccino has since addressed this. 

Since you're Birmingham based I strongly recommend you give Ngopi a try. It's city centre. 

Coffee by the Casuals

6 minutes ago, filthynines said:

They stock a rotation of beans, but you're right - they don't roast their own. I think @catpuccino has since addressed this. 

Since you're Birmingham based I strongly recommend you give Ngopi a try. It's city centre. 

Is Ngopi down by the DVLA Test centre? I think I've walked past it a few times. Birmingham wise I always go to Tilt or Faculty - they're the best B'ham has to offer in the city centre imho. Will give Ngopi a try though on your recommendation.

2 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Is Ngopi down by the DVLA Test centre? I think I've walked past it a few times. Birmingham wise I always go to Tilt or Faculty - they're the best B'ham has to offer in the city centre imho. Will give Ngopi a try though on your recommendation.

That’s the one! You won’t be disappointed. I drove past dozens of times thinking it was gimmick, but they do great stuff from a Slayer machine. I think all beans are direct trade...

Coffee by the Casuals

I would be up for it. Although we are fairly limited on roasters around here.

Is it acceptable to send my favourites regardless of where they are roasted? 

Mind you,..., Bristol is 35 miles so not impossible if that counts as local.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, paul whu said:

I would be up for it. Although we are fairly limited on roasters around here.

Is it acceptable to send my favourites regardless of where they are roasted? 

Mind you,..., Bristol is 35 miles so not impossible if that counts as local.

Absolutely! 

Did this happen? Or...Is it going to?

I dont think so. Although haven't heard anything

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Guys my apologies for dropping the ball with this. Got a little overwhelmed over new years with marking and other miserable things. 

Wonder if there'd be further interest if we kicked it off in Jan...