stevogums

L1 Service

After some advice please.

Having owned an L1 for a good few years now i'm at point were i'm ready to either carry out full service on it or purchase new/2nd hand model.

Originally purchased off Dave 2nd hand.

Many shots later im needing to service it renew seals etc. As its starting to leak from Head slightly.

What do i need to service it and anyone in NW able to carry this out for me or assist me in carrying this out myself.

TBH i've left this far too long to service however its still knocking out superb coffee.

thanks Paul

L1 & E10

Sounds like you just need to change the seals, there is water getting past the top seal of water is coming out of the top of the group. A group service is fairly simple just jump on the Londinium site for videos.

AKA Toffee chips

1 hour ago, stevogums said:

Having owned an L1 for a good few years now i'm at point were i'm ready to either carry out full service on it or purchase new/2nd hand model.

Many shots later im needing to service it renew seals etc. As its starting to leak from Head slightly.

What do i need to service it and anyone in NW able to carry this out for me or assist me in carrying this out myself.

TBH i've left this far too long to service however its still knocking out superb coffee.

thanks Paul

Let me know how you get on. This will be something I should tackle in the near future, as I have recently acquired an older model myself (although no leaks or apparent problems, yet).

6 hours ago, stevogums said:

thanks Paul

If you decide to do it yourself, these videos should get you through alright:

https://londiniumespresso.com/forum/permanent-file/743-video-changing-the-piston-and-portafilter-seals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWWDUvqLID8

Londinium 1, Monolith Flat, Pharos, Lido 3, Chemex, Gene Café, Atago Barista

https://www.cafelatstore.com/products/copy-of-astoria-modern-lever-group-v-rings

Would this do the trick for service kit?

Already got the grease and are these quick quick to order from?

Including IMS basket and grouphead seal

Or do i buy service kit from Londinium?

what seals are better?

Edited by stevogums

L1 & E10

Having run one group on Londinium seals and one on cafelat seals, I find the cafelat seals go longer between regreasing, the Londinium ones will let you know when need re greasing. However, all is not rosy in the cafelat camp as these will be sent from the far east whereas you should get Londinium seals in a couple of days.

Personally prefer the cafelat grouphead portafilter seal over anything hard rubber so have these on both groups and they still supple after a couple of years regular use / cleanings.

The cafelat ones will be a little easier to get on than the Londinium ones as they are less rigid as well.

Please note : there's nothing wrong with the Londinium seals, just down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Hope of help

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 92Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Thanks John.

Shipping is quite expensive works out 53 quid for 4 seals and ims basket 6 to 12 days delivery.

Londinium 61 quid for full service kit and basket quicker delivery i would assume.

Not ims shower screen though 

https://londiniumespresso.com/store/londinium-i-full-service-kit 

Edited by stevogums

L1 & E10

56 minutes ago, stevogums said:

https://www.cafelatstore.com/products/copy-of-astoria-modern-lever-group-v-rings

Would this do the trick for service kit?

Already got the grease and are these quick quick to order from?

Including IMS basket and grouphead seal

Or do i buy service kit from Londinium?

what seals are better?

That is really up for debate.

I much prefer the cafelat seals but they did take a while to bed in for some reason.  The Londinium ones fit better but they're made of rubber and can dry out.  Pretty simple to change whichever way you go.

Andy

Machine: Londinium L1

Grinder: EK43LE

Beans: Baristrocracy Ethiopian

Instagram: andrewrellim

5 hours ago, stevogums said:

Thanks John.

Shipping is quite expensive works out 53 quid for 4 seals and ims basket 6 to 12 days delivery.

Londinium 61 quid for full service kit and basket quicker delivery i would assume.

Not ims shower screen though 

https://londiniumespresso.com/store/londinium-i-full-service-kit 

48 US dollars is what i Paid to them 2 days ago for the 4 seals. The postage is $6.50 which is actually a lot less than Londinium charge!....but I accept you get the service kit for a few quid more but of course you might not need it all

Edited by dfk41
  • Like 1

Reason the cafelat order is big dearer is due to me opting for the dearest postage which is $29

May opt for cheaper postage as I'm not in that much of rush .estimate on the cheaper postage an be up to 60 days i read. This time of year it's gonna be bad a!so.

L1 & E10

Ordered from Cafelat £38 delivered for 3 piston rings shower seal and ims screen.

Hopefully not too long a wait. 

L1 & E10

Glad I spotted this. I have ordered the silicon rings this evening.
Ease of fitting swayed it for me

• Like 1

Can someone tell me the correct sizes for cafelat silicon rings for my L1 please.
Thanks

Follow the link above, it takes you to the correct ones