Coffee Forums banner

Upgrade Advice Needed

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Gavin 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm fast approaching a time where, after 7 years, I'm going to be upgrading from my Classic and I'd like some advice from the wiser heads on here before I commit.

I'm probably looking to buy new. My budget is about 2k maybe 2.5 at a push. My grinder is a Niche (which might change in the future I suppose), and I'll be feeding my potential machine a combination of tap water and a low ratio of Zerowater as my water is pretty decent. I may want to plumb it in next year if/when we do the kitchen.

I make mostly milky drinks with the occasional long black or espresso. About 2 drinks of a weekday and maybe 3-4 on weekend days. Footprint is not an issue.

Obviously for that money I want some seriously quality shots but my primary focus is on build quality. I want something seriously solid that's 'tanky', going to last 20 years or so and which doesn't need too much servicing as I'm about 4 hours from BellaBarista.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

#2 ·
Not being rude 2k for few drinks a day is far from worth it, I would look at lower end machines your at the Prosomer level here now.But it is your money, and you will still have residue in your boilers using a mix of water anyway. If you want it to last you will have to spend at least maybe 2k.

#4 ·
@Gavin For 2K you can get an awful lot of machine, I appreciate you are a fair way from BB however if you can find the time it's probably worth a trip to see what's available and to have a play with various machines.

The Niche grinder does a great job, there are other more tank built grinders if that's the style you are after, espresso machine wise you'll find an improvement in the cup with many machines over your classic as you move in to more stable temp, pressure etc presuming you're on tip of the other variables such as using good quality beans dialed in correctly.

If you want a machine to last 20 years it's going to need regular maintenance and the occasional trip to a service center if you cannot or do not want to service/repair it yourself, my sense is that lots of machines will last 20 years with regular maintenance and care.

Do you want to mess with the parameters such as pressure, temp etc or would you prefer a straightforward set it up and occasionally adjust for taste type machine? Do you want shiny and looks great on the counter top or something more utilitarian?

Would you buy used or stick with new?

In terms of whether it's worth it or not for a few coffees a day, that's your business and there isn't a general formula that works, if you have 2K and want to spend it on a coffee machine then more power to your elbow.

I'm sure you'll get more specific advice soon from people that have knowledge of what's built like a tank and makes espresso for around 2K.

Good luck and enjoy your search.

#15 ·
appreciate you are a fair way from BB however if you can find the time it's probably worth a trip to see what's available and to have a play with various machines.
I'd echo the comment to go to BB and try before you buy.
This is what started it! I happened to be passing on a work trip a short time ago. Had some coffees there with Marko. I was totally blown away by the difference in the cup compared to what my poor little Classic could do.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Maybe it is, have you got something to add? at the end of the day I would not be spending 2K on a machine that I will use twice a day, might as well get a nice brewer and some V60 stuff and use for a few months see how I feel then, I use 8/10 litres of milk a week and maybe 2k a month of beans.

Ps you know full well what I meant couldn't help yourself could you.

#7 ·
Jony- I was in the process of typing out my suggestion but got a bit sidelined.

It's each person to themselves really, I spent more than 2k on a machine which I use for 1-2 coffees a day during the week and about 3 on weekends so I don't think it's crazy :)

Gavin - I was in very similar position to you at the beginning of the year. Had a classic + niche and was looking for something that would last a lifetime, could be maintained by myself easily and was built like a tank. I ended up with a Londinium R.

i would suggest you strongly consider one especially if the foot print isn't an issue(machine isn't too big but cupboards can get in the way of the lever.

Reiss provides amazing support should something go wrong and will be on a video call with you talking through any issues/maintanance that needs doing along the way.

Completely temp stable, built to last, can be plumbed in and easy to work on and within your budget :)

only thing I will add is that you may end up upgrading your grinder down the line to get the most out of the machine.

#9 ·
Another option for you to consider is the decent - although fairly complicated the customer service is amazing and I believe the warranty is something silly like 10000 shots.

If you wanted something that's endless customisable in terms of flow profiling etc then this would be a good option :)

#11 ·
I'd echo the comment to go to BB and try before you buy. If youre looking at a machine that they don't supply, see if theres anyone local who has one that you can play with. These threads will invariably give you recommendations that someone owns or machines on their wish list.

On money spent on machines, its all relative. What one sees as excessive, another sees as acceptable. If you have the spare cash and want to spend it then why not ? If someone told me that Id spend 1000's on my setup when I first dipped my to in the espresso I would've laughed. Now it seems ok but I would never try to justify the expense.

#12 ·
I'd echo the comment to go to BB and try before you buy. If youre looking at a machine that they don't supply, see if theres anyone local who has one that you can play with. These threads will invariably give you recommendations that someone owns or machines on their wish list.

On money spent on machines, its all relative. What one sees as excessive, another sees as acceptable. If you have the spare cash and want to spend it then why not ? If someone told me that Id spend 1000's on my setup when I first dipped my to in the espresso I would've laughed. Now it seems ok but I would never try to justify the expense.
I was on the same boat as you, then realised how many more times people spend on bicycles and cars at a hobbyist level and figured I was a small spender when compared to them. At least that's my justification to the mrs!

#13 ·
£2-2.5k can buy you temperature stability. That makes a big difference to taste in the cup.

You might even get pressure profiling if you are shrewd. I'm sure I've seen ACS knock out ex-demo very light use Vesuvii for that money.

I would pay for taste even if it was one cup a day - because it is every day. Trick is to pay for this stability and avoid paying for branding or frippery.

Reactions: 4515
#14 ·
Obnic said:
£2-2.5k can buy you temperature stability. That makes a big difference to taste in the cup.

You might even get pressure profiling if you are shrewd. I'm sure I've seen ACS knock out ex-demo very light use Vesuvii for that money.

I would pay for taste even if it was one cup a day - because it is every day. Trick is to pay for this stability and avoid paying for branding or frippery.
Think this is the thread you're thinking off for the V. £1900 for a brand new machine with slightly scratched frame (that you won't be able to see in use anyway).

You have to wait for after shows for the ex display models & they usually have brand new internals too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.