Jump to content
ken0062

Isomac Millenium project

Recommended Posts

Just got my hands on a isomac millenium that was sold as faulty.

Boiler was not filling so disconected element to give it a test and have found after disconecting pump output pipe that the pump is not drawing any water, so new pump already on order.

The plan after that is to give it a good descale and service the grouphead.

Is there any advantage to giving everything a full stripdow to descale or would a full fill descale be OK along with a grouphead stripdown.

Also what descaling solution would people recomend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Citric acid crystals descale well. I buy mine from an Asian spice shop. Just fill the boilers and leave them while you go to work and flush out when you get home.

I use it on the kettle and even in the bathrooms. It's like magic and is foodsafe and environmentally friendly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking of citric acid but i also have read in some places that you should use a dedicated coffee machine descaler not sure if that is just so they can sell the stuff, also I believe the boiler is nickel plated copper so will need something that is safe to use on that.

Think I will get hold of a cheap usb endoscope to have a inspection inside the boiler without taking the element out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just got my hands on a isomac millenium that was sold as faulty.
Boiler was not filling so disconected element to give it a test and have found after disconecting pump output pipe that the pump is not drawing any water, so new pump already on order.
The plan after that is to give it a good descale and service the grouphead.
Is there any advantage to giving everything a full stripdow to descale or would a full fill descale be OK along with a grouphead stripdown.
Also what descaling solution would people recomend.


Benefit of a full strip down really means that you’re completely getting rid of all scale. No chance of any loosened bits clogging up a pipe and causing a hard to find blockage.

I guess depends how well it’s been treated. I stripped mine down. Was a good exercise for getting to know the machine. Already had my classic so no downtime without coffee!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ISOMAC Millenium | Eureka Mignon MkII | Gaggia Classic with PID and other mods (retired) | Iberital MC2 auto (retired)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New pump arrived today, fitted and everything appears to be working as it should and no leaks.

Only problem was the anti vac valve was hissing slightly so took it apart to clean it only for the internal O ring to split when removing it so have to wait for new O ring to arrive before I can do much more.

So far everything I have removed not showing much sign of scale so looking good.

Will the generic E61 group head service kit from bella barista Here be OK for the my machine.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/12/2019 at 21:13, ken0062 said:

New pump arrived today, fitted and everything appears to be working as it should and no leaks.

Only problem was the anti vac valve was hissing slightly so took it apart to clean it only for the internal O ring to split when removing it so have to wait for new O ring to arrive before I can do much more.

So far everything I have removed not showing much sign of scale so looking good.

Will the generic E61 group head service kit from bella barista Here be OK for the my machine.   

That E61 kit should be OK, though I had a bit of trouble with the Teflon gasket for my top nut. No matter where I got it from it was slightly too big and has never seated well. Weeps a little.

The three rubber washers in the middle of that kit are for the brass valves that you with find in the top and bottom section of the group head. To get those new rubber washers in, you have to unscrew the little stubby end of the valves (see picture), the washer sits within that cup on the middle section. Being brass it will be very soft and you have to be very carefull uscrewing them (I broke mine!). The threaded section that end scews on to is only 2-3mm in diameter so it doesn't take too much to shear them off. If you do 

image.png.c532ac81a38047108f8f6224f8606462.png


ISOMAC Millenium | Eureka Mignon MkII | Gaggia Classic with PID and other mods (retired) | Iberital MC2 auto (retired)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/12/2019 at 09:09, paul whu said:

Citric acid crystals descale well. I buy mine from an Asian spice shop. Just fill the boilers and leave them while you go to work and flush out when you get home.

I use it on the kettle and even in the bathrooms. It's like magic and is foodsafe and environmentally friendly

Thanks for the advice decided to use citric acid crystals in the end and they worked a treat.

Inside of boiler went from this.

WIN_20191217_12_14_09_Pro.jpg.19dd406e282dac03df7ee06373496207.jpg

 

To This.

 

473571991_19-12-2020_00_28.thumb.png.b4fbd97de65ad091c9d781451fedf3c9.png

 

 

438679417_19-12-2019_52_12.thumb.png.07378e062a5334c59dccf80b36b72435.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/12/2019 at 12:07, _shakeyjake_ said:

That E61 kit should be OK, though I had a bit of trouble with the Teflon gasket for my top nut. No matter where I got it from it was slightly too big and has never seated well. Weeps a little.

The three rubber washers in the middle of that kit are for the brass valves that you with find in the top and bottom section of the group head. To get those new rubber washers in, you have to unscrew the little stubby end of the valves (see picture), the washer sits within that cup on the middle section. Being brass it will be very soft and you have to be very carefull uscrewing them (I broke mine!). The threaded section that end scews on to is only 2-3mm in diameter so it doesn't take too much to shear them off. If you do 

image.png.c532ac81a38047108f8f6224f8606462.png

Thanks, group head fully rebuilt now although I found most of the original springs where actually stronger than the replacement so used originals.

Machine now back together and working well, the only thing I have noticed is that I can only get about 16.5g of coffee into a 18g vst basket before it touches the shower screen.

IMS competition screen and 8.5mm gasket instead of 8mm now on order hoping that that will cure the problem 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use.

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

    Donate / Sponsor

    Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png

×
×
  • Create New...