IGNORED

Orphan Pharos Faulty? Or just dumb user error

6 hours ago, MWJB said:

Sorry, I don't understand a finer grind equalling less wasted coffee? You can make V60s at a wide range of grinds, at the same ratio.

This is just a notion I got from watching a coffee lecture by Matt Perger YouTube. I'm not sure what they did but he suggested that water can only penetrate the coffee grinds by a few tenths of a mm since they're made of cellulose so there is wasted unextracted coffee in the middle if grinding coarser. Might be all bs pseudoscience but it kind of made sense since most of my pours from the first pour if a skip the bloom tastes great but pours after tend to extract lesser good flavours since I'm just rewashing the already extracted outer parts.

6 hours ago, MWJB said:

Water should drop straight down from kettle spout & not make an arc on the way into the brewer.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me question whether or not we're overthinking things. Must try this out as it sounds ridiculous

Thanks for the detailed explanation I'm subscribed to April but their YouTube channel but their videos titles are labeled well so I wouldn't have come across this method unless I watched every video ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

£250 for a use Pharos would be too much. Shot times vary. If they didn't, that would be suspicious. We don't, as yet, have any evidence of a fault. It may well be that there is one, but what

Sorry, I don't understand a finer grind equalling less wasted coffee? You can make V60s at a wide range of grinds, at the same ratio. At work, where I make 3 mugs at once, I use the April method

Thanks everyone for the replies, I have to be up early today so I'll probably start tinkering with it later today or tomorrow, most likely disassembling it and cleaning it our ?. It wasn't cleaned out

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, veganwithabeef said:

This is the kind of stuff that makes me question whether or not we're overthinking things. Must try this out as it sounds ridiculous

?

Perger's Youtube sifting experiment is mathematically flawed & does not apply to drip brewing anyway.

There's no overthinking, it is my experience of making, measuring & recording several hundred 1 mug drip brews. If you are pouring too aggressively then you will over-agitate the bed, or force too much water into a localised spot. These will lead too excessive bitterness whether you over-extract, or not (over-extraction is not the easiest thing to do with drip, but it is more feasible than with probably any other method, the biggest problem with drip is getting a good extraction without flushing too much silt - which is not counted to extraction but is bittering - through the paper).

Worrying about rewashing the outer parts, or which part of the pour makes for good flavours is overthinking things. Concentrate on getting the grind setting to gel with the number of pours and you won't need to worry about these things. Extraction is everything you extract in total, avoid too little (grind finer, or use more pours with a coarse grind), avoid too much (grind coarser, or use less pours with a finer grind), get what you get without introducing non extraction related malfunctions (gentle enough, but not so violent to muddy things up).

Even this makes drip brewing sound more complicated than it really is. It's mostly about sticking to weights & pour timings consistently at the right grind.

• Like 1